• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Sx-510 - The Wagon

knowone can stop you ay jeff?? hahaha

wats the plans for the diff? r31? hilux?

looks like a pretty sweet wags.. GL with the build

It should be top shelf as usual from you Jeff

All you need now is a 4 door sedan for the trifecta

Nice one Jeff, sounds like my interest in it gave you some motivation to get it moving again

I'm all about the sleepers, just wish I had a house to store some cars in so I can start stock piling before they disappear.

Thanks guys

Martin - Yep you did!

Pete - Maybe Mike would let me put the SX-510 plates back on the green 4dr if I asked him nicely

Something I forgot to mention before, cos it's already engineered with the SR turbo (even correct eng no) - it should just need a blue slip inspection and I'll be on my way

Bebbs - Diff is TBC - It will be one of the last things done, so plenty of time to look for options. The eng cert says it's a Datsun diff with drum brakes, so whatever goes in will probably still have drums (plenty good enough for street use) and be referred to as "a Datsun diff officer"

Jeffs right, this would have to be one of the best originals wagons in Oz if not the best.

Good to hear that your blowing off the dust on the wagon shoey and making a start on it, im sure it will turn into a "Shoesmith Special". Does this mean that you gonna take the coupe off the road?

Hey Mike

Yeah, in about 2 years the coupe will go into mothballs for quite a while - without engine/box or ecu in it.

2 years should be plenty of time to do some circuit work, crack an 11 and do a quick Zoom feature

Only found out about this today (thanks Ig) but seems I must have been subliminally motivated by the D-O-double-G's dope new record too hey homes/nigga/mofo/biatch

bg3.jpg

love it mate,thats tops,or should i say love it dog

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO THE WAGON!!

will it be a club rego car ?? if you have any leftover or unwanted parts let alicia and myself know we may be interested for her car.

Mark - I'd need to arrange some extra special favours for Graeme/Vince to have them consider this wagon to qualify for club/historic rego status - too many mods...

Will let you know re parts (this must mean Alicia has finally come to her senses then hey?)

Bebbs - I dont care. I work in Pro Audio, I work for the Aust Serato distributor - MP3 sux - regardless of bit rate. Apple AAC is a passable compression algorithm, or Apple Lossless for the win - but no MP3s thru a club sound system thanks! If you think they sound OK then you must be half deaf already...

Back to wagon speak now please.

Can a mod please put a delete broom thru this thread on the weekend and burn off some of the crap?

Ahh the wagon..... It was the first car to display my MY-510 plates... I can't believe it was almost 10 years ago.... geez I'm getting old...

Speaking of old.... if you retire your coupe for 10 years in another 2, then you will be almost 50 when it is resurected!!!!!!

But just imagine what it would be worth!

Now that is scary..... and depressing

Thanks for that Graeme - better start writing a will then hey.......

I've had my old red 1600 for 27 years . My first car

for when the kids are teenagers (and if are anything like I was - won't wanna hang out with me much...) and I'll hopefully have time to go coupe-ing again.

My kids are 11 and 8, and its only really been the last two years or so where they've got to the stage where they are a bit independant and I can get time to go down to the shed to play Datsuns.

And Jeff, once the kids hit 12 years old, you can get them a CAMS licence and do motorkhanas together . My daughter turns 12 in July and has ideas of learning to drive the old green track-spec 1600. And age 14, they can get a CAMS licence to do speed-type events - hillclimbs and supersprints.

You've got me thinkin Dave.... some good ideas there.

I've had a good look at what's in stock in the garage, shed, under the house, under Dad's house etc and have now come up with an even more cunning plan

I have a couple of L20B bottom ends, an L18, MR30 stumpy 5 speed, Z24 crank, a great ported A87 head with 76 degree cam, RNN14 GTI-R SR quad throttle body intake, plenum and TPS, SR20DET loom, air flow meter, crank angle sensor, coolant temp sensor, knock sensor and a CA18 igniter pack.

The plan? to build an engine for the coupe so rather than just storing it until I'm nearly 50 (thanks for the heads-up Graeme - you bastard... ) I can actually take it out (unregistered/on trailer) to track days and make use of all that suspension and brakes I spent so long putting together!

Plan to build a moderately high comp atmo 2L stroker, adapt the GTI-R intake and injectors to the A87 head (AWD plenum will face forward nicely), graft the SR20 CAS disc and optocouplers into a locked L series dizzy, wire up to the SR loom, add 4 ignition coils of some sort and finally build a custom map for the PLMS remapped ECU. Since the ECU holds 4 maps, I can devote 2 or 3 of them to the SR powered wagon and one to the L powered coupe. That way I have 1 ECU that can run two cars as needed.

Should be interesting

I admit it's a bizarre plan, but I'm keen to give it a go (and it will cost me time more than money)

That's more like it - a "real" Datsun motor for the coupe

Very similar to what I'm doing with the 180B SSS (except I'm adding a supercharger to the mix ). I'll be very interested seeing what you come up with.

I'm having a ball with my old track car - its way underpowered, but brakes and handles well enough to be great fun around Wakefield Park. The ratio of thrills to time spent working on the car is pretty good.

Sounds good Dave, look forward to seeing the 180B running - is that the one you bought my SR20DET injectors for?

Yep, but I've since swapped them for a new heavy duty L-series clutch . I gave them to a mate who was upgrading an SR20DE to SR20DE+T in his 180B SSS.

Reason I changed tack is that it was going to be a bit awkward fitting the SR20 injectors to an L-series head with the manifold I had in mind - mainly due to the port arrangement where two inlets are next to each other. There wasn't really room to fit the fairly wide side-feed SR20 injectors close enough together to make it work. If you're fitting GTi-R throttle bodies, maybe you can "splay" the runners from the throttle bodies down to the ports to get more space for it to work.

I'll probably be running either Z18 or FJ20 injectors now - shame, because I like the "look" of SR20 injectors. They just look nice and neat.

Mate - it's virtually a bolt-on! Might even have it driving before next weekend!

3921332366.jpg

3921332365.jpg

Mate - it's virtually a bolt-on! Might even have it driving before next weekend!

hahahaha if only datsuns were that easy... lol.

got any plans on how your going to merge the two intake port patterns?

ie. the SR pattern is 1-1-1-1 and the L is 2-2

Make up some sort of a collector that narrows the SR down and into the L series pattern?

Haven't really given it a lotta thought Luda - but what I think will need to happen is to cut and mill the casting on the engine side of the throttle bodies (ie remove the SR half). This will present something similar to what you get from a pair of Weber carbs - the butterfly spacing looks very similar to what I remember when I had a weber-fed L series about 15 years ago so I expect that I'll need to fab up some pipes that bring the throttle pairs into a layout like a good old Datrally manifold.

The result of this will raise the plenum by about 70-100mm compared to the dodgy photo, which 'should' mean better separation from the hot exhaust, good intake tract length, good attack angle at the valves, plenty of options for fuel rail etc. I'll notch the tops of the intake ports on the head to allow a clear injector path (just like the EFI L series engines do).

I'll need to tweak the throttle cable spool a bit to get glearance for the new runners, but it shouldn't be too hard.

I measured the GTI-R TB butterflies today, they are somewhere between 45 and 46mm. The TB flares out to nearly 48mm as it meets the plenum half of the runner, then gets bigger again merging into the plenum. The intake ports on my L18 A87 head are 41mm, so here's hoping it will all work together and cost me virtually nothing

Time to read up on NA EFI theory now - then get a real plan together. Anyone on here have any pointers?

Oh yeah - found some L20 extractors under a pile of crap under the house today too BONUS

sounds like a wicked plan!

are you going gtir quads purely to have ITB's? Or for the fuel injected aspect....

OR just to be different

When I built my first SR powered Datto it was a bit different to what most others had at the time. Now that everyone has hopped on the SR bandwagon (for good reason!) I'm keen to try something different again....and what could be more different than an L series with 180SX engine management and GTI-R quad intake! - all built from stuff that was laying around - and for less money than you'd pay for a set of good injectors!

But honestly, I'm hoping that I can end up with a well behaved L that starts and idles well in the cold, makes good power without flat spots and has the roar of an NA intake

A couple of days ago I was prepared to leave the coupe in the garage for 10 years while the wagon used the SR - but now this way I'll be able to have some fun with it at track days