• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Sx-510 - The Wagon

Anyone on here have any pointers?

I'll be running LS1 coils - got mine fairly cheap off eBay ($80 for the 4 of them ), and they don't need an igniter as they have one built-in.

Also, I'll be using a CA18 CAS in place of the dizzy (or possibly even a CA18 CAS grafted onto the front of the timing cover and driven off the cam). Adapting SR20 guts to a sandard dizzy sounds like less work than my ideas though .

As for mounting the manifold to the head - I have what I believe is a fuel injected A87 head on my 1600 (but run SU carbs on it ). The efi manifold would be mounted by one larger, central stud/ bolt in the head, rather than the more normal two studs on a normal A87 head (one above each inlet port). I assume this is because the injectors mount in the manifold in pretty much the same spot as the standard studs/bolts are.

This head has both lots of bolt holes - not sure if that is standard, or the "normal" two have been added to allow the SU carbs to bolt on. The one centrol hole perfectly matches the hole in an L-series efi manifold.

g8kz5.jpg

When I built my first SR powered Datto it was a bit different to what most others had at the time. Now that everyone has hopped on the SR bandwagon (for good reason!) I'm keen to try something different again....and what could be more different than an L series with 180SX engine management and GTI-R quad intake! - all built from stuff that was laying around - and for less money than you'd pay for a set of good injectors!

But honestly, I'm hoping that I can end up with a well behaved L that starts and idles well in the cold, makes good power without flat spots and has the roar of an NA intake

A couple of days ago I was prepared to leave the coupe in the garage for 10 years while the wagon used the SR - but now this way I'll be able to have some fun with it at track days

Yeah okay fair enough.. i see where your coming from...

Dont you dare leave that coupe in the garage.. i wanna see it in full kit!

I have a stack of NOS wagon parts that I bought for it about 8 years ago, so should end up a pretty decent result. Add to that, I just won these NOS hubcaps for it literally half hour ago!

I got one of those hubcaps to complete a set and they are different to the normal 1600 hubcaps

Love the L series with quads idea... should be an awesome thing to drive! Good luck with it and keep us up to date once you get started

Jeff, have already done my SRde distributor conv for the L20B.

will post some pics when i remember to take the camera to work.

Jeff, have already done my SRde distributor conv for the L20B. will post some pics when i remember to take the camera to work.

Thanks Baz. [speaking of memory trouble...]I'd had a brain fade about you doing that! Look forward to seeing the pics

I got one of those hubcaps to complete a set and they are different to the normal 1600 hubcaps

I have seen two types of that style 1600 hubcap in my time. One is quite flat and the other a bit more convex. Likewise I've seen two types of stock wheel rim offset. I'm guessing the latter type suit the bigger + offset wheels? ie to get more hub clearance. Still, let's see what arrives. It is ebay after all.....

I have what I believe is a fuel injected A87 head on my 1600 (but run SU carbs on it ). The efi manifold would be mounted by one larger, central stud/ bolt in the head, rather than the more normal two studs on a normal A87 head (one above each inlet port). I assume this is because the injectors mount in the manifold in pretty much the same spot as the standard studs/bolts are

Very interesting Dave, sounds fair and reasonable to me mate, I'd better have a closer look at what I've got before notching away then! I imagine I could drill/tap my ported non-efi head then?

Thanks guys - glad you like the idea - Given that building the "what's old is new again - well sort of...." engine is a more achievable target than restoring the wagon, I'll probably tackle it first. Don't want anyone dying from the wait

Well fellas - slight change of plans - but for the better I reckon.

I'm leaving the SR in the coupe and puttin the 'franken-L' into the wagon.

The spend is going pretty good so far - ie I'm still on track for "building the engine for less than a set of good injectors"

Thanks to ebay (who seems to somehow know I need SR engine management parts for the L atm) - here's the update:

S13 SR20DET >>>

- Air flow meter> $38 (inc delivery from Brisbane - if only I knew about Derek's 'free' one earlier...)

- Crank angle sensor> $81 (inc delivery from London)

- Factory ECU and ECU harness plug> $41 (inc delivery from Melbourne)

- GTi-R intake manifold> free + 150 bucks spare (after selling the other bits I orig bought with it on ebay for way more than I paid)

- Throttle pos sensor and AAC valve (idle air motor)> comes with above ^^^

- Coolant temp sensor> free (off old engine I had)

- O2 Sensor> free (off old engine I had)

- 1M resistor to pretend to be the knock sensor> free

Also looks like I might be able to do some cut/shut/milling of a Datrally Weber manifold to make a decent looking adapter between the TBs and the head too

Looking forward to the results of all this - if it works it's gonna be waaaaaaay cheaper than a set of overpriced (ready for rebuild) Webers!

Now to find someone who can bore the L20B block to 89mm for a fair price - any (Sydney) suggestions?

l series ay.. what sort of power you chasing here? any guesses on peak hp?? purely out of interest to see what you could do with a n/a L series without goin LZ

No idea Bebbs - just building it on the cheap to see what happens

If it drives the wagon along with a minimum of revs and effort - then I'll be

So going by the amount of parts youve been buying for it lately, how long til you plan on having it on the road?

Dunno Scotty. No real rush - still aiming for ~2 years.

That said, hoping to build the engine and accessories over the next 3-6 months and throw it into the wagon for a test run. I found a stumpy 2.4E Skyline 5 speed box under the house - so hoping I can use it with a standard 510 wagon tailshaft to complete the driveline (ie continuing the 'as cheap as possible, but hopefully a good idea' theme)

Anyone got a wagon shaft to spare? Alicia? Graeme?

this sounds really innovative and interesting..

Putting an L-series in a 1600

Hopefully Jeff will start a new trend. Long live the "L"

whats ya ruff budget??

that mean u gunna keep the coupe on the road??

Thanks, glad you like it.

Scrolling down the project cars thread - everyone is going FJ/SR/CA, so I wanted to do something that is also interesting, plus (hopefully) impresses in a different way - without throwing big dollars at it.

Haven't really given the budget a lot of consideration (I could have had Costello's job - if the Libs were still in.... ) but, not counting what I already had 'in stock'

Engine/management total spend -

Bodywork with DIY paint (in a booth) plus interior

Coupe will probably be able to stay roadgoing and registered too - cos we're hoping to be back on 2 incomes (first time in 8 years...) by the time the wagon hits the road again!

Putting an L-series in a 1600

Hopefully Jeff will start a new trend. Long live the "L"

"What's old is new again - well sort of"......

Plus what I haven't told you yet is (pending fuel prices in 2 years time) it might be LPG-LI powered too (direct inject technology)

Watch this space

Cheers for the Link Jeff. I am about to receive my Factory LPG L20 that Baz has just rebuilt and this info has given me something new to consider.

No worries at all.

A mate of mine has an experimental LPG-LI workshop near Eastern Creek. He's already got systems working perfectly on 4.0L Falcons (both NA and turbo) and reckons in NA setups there's big gains to be had raising the compression ratio above 11:1 (per the article on the weblink).

I'm yet to CC the A87 head I have here to determine the CR, but am guessing approx 10:1. Actually could have gone KA24 pistons for higher CR, but not knowing how much has been shaved off this head, played it safe and went the dished Z24 plungers.

Jeff its great to see someone looking at LPG and the technology is getting better all the time.

I see you mentioned xr6 turbos in your post and I know this was used as a bit of test case for one company and took a while to get (can't find the link at the moment) to get it right.

Have you seen what they are doing with diesel gas injection? I realise its not 100% applicable in this thread but using the navara/pathfinder example, as its close to my heart, they have been able to up the NM from 400 to 600 through the same rpm range. Getting 600nm out of a 2.5 turbo 4 cyl is pretty impressive though I'm not game enough to test it on my own car.

Point is that the hardware & controls is moving forward very quickly and I have no doubt it'll be far more main stream then it even is today within the next 1 -3 years.

there was a red 200b with factory gas that used to come in every weekend into the servo he reckons he could do 100km for $6 when gas was $0.489...

thats pretty awesome if u ask me..

hubberts peak within the next 12 months, and fuel prices to hit $1.80 by christmas is my guess..

Does he have anything on the cards for an L series set up by chance?

I think you've got a better chance of seeing GTR510 and sr20datsun announce their gay marriage and living together in a Darlinghurst terrace actually.....

But worth asking just the same....

Nah - he's only working on things that will sell big! (plus helping me with a foreign order )

Yeah didn't think so but worth a try..

Maybe if Ben and Nick could overcome their heterosexuality it would ease some of the tension between them. then again

Darlington property prices would also mean their Datsun's would never see the road, and we'd all miss the entertainment.

Does he have anything on the cards for an L series set up by chance?

I think you've got a better chance of seeing GTR510 and sr20datsun announce their gay marriage and living together in a Darlinghurst terrace actually.....

But worth asking just the same....

Nah - he's only working on things that will sell big! (plus helping me with a foreign order )

I reckon there'd be more chance getting something fitted to the L.

Check out:

http://www.lpgli.com/lpg.html

Liquid LPG direct injection.

i like your ideas with your intake mods, stayin l series myself i may have some questions for you in the future.

and bout the lpg injection stuff. will be pointless soon, piezo-crystal diesel injectors will leave them all for dead. can u imagine an injector firing upto 8times during the delay period of a combustion cycle (diesel knock for those who dont know what that is). not to mention upto 40,000psi injection pressures