• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Sx-510 - The Wagon

I agree with Ben about original yellow or similar to the coupe on 510realm.

post-71-12592753001772_thumb.jpg

or what about the original pastel green?

DSC01365.JPG

Go the orginal green mate, you don't see any of them anymore,

Love the extension mate, so you can do all your datto work

You dont see the green cause its horrid!!!! stick with the saggybum or do it the to match the coupe! mmmmmmm saaammmeee but different ....

Thanks for your input everybody. Based on the votes (and giving Fitzy a vote worth 2 due to his award winning taste in modified cars) I will be sticking with the Shantung yellow.

Time to hit the paint shop for some engine bay supplies - yes it will also be a home garage spray job like the coupe. Might even use the Superthief high build primer under VG Auto Paints 2K (with quick set hardener) again. It is still looking shiny, sink back and sanding scratch free - and has been that way since Pete and I painted it Dec 2004!! ie 5 years on! :-)

ahhhh the memories

coupe_bay_primer.jpg

bay2.jpg

Did a bit more chop/grind/bend on the intercooler install this arvo :ninja: It's getting closer, but still needs a bit of clearance tweaking here and there to get the cooler closer to the grille. Pretty happy with progress.

This one's gonna be a neater fit than my first effort on the coupe over 5 years ago (with no one having done it before me for guidance :wacko: )

post-153-12597412429244_thumb.jpg post-153-12597412929115_thumb.jpg post-153-12597416697213_thumb.jpg

Nice stuff Jeff

You have baffled me though into why you are dropping an L series back into the coupe?

whats your grand plan anyway where are you goin with all this? lol

Sorry to get you all :wacko: Aymen, but the grand plan is to end up with 3 working Datsuns, without re-mortgaging the house... ie build them as funds become available.

1600 Wagon - sleeper

S13 SR20DET and S14 5sp, aircon, 200B xmem and Datsport arms/bar, R31 3.9 LSD, hubbies on jellies or 14" Watanabes. Full street rego. It's actually already engineered for SR turbo - the motor currently in the coupe came out of this wagon.

Coupe- historic racer

L20B with 86mm flat tops, ported A87 with 72deg cam, twin 45s on Datrally manifold, S2 Dizzy, 260Z 5 speed (ooh I'm getting all nostalgic and gooey typing this.... :blush: ) 260Z flywheel with 225mm clutch, existing R200 4.11MLSD, brakes, suspension. Changing back to 1600 front xmem, arms and sway bar to fit old school offset Watanabe 16 x 8 +26 front, 16 x 8 +13 rear and 205/45 semi slicks. Occasional tarmac track use and rally or historic rego.

1000 Wagon - historic cruiser

A series, mild cam, twin 40s on Tomei manifold, elec ign, 5 speed, 14" Watanabes or 12" Hotwires and rally or historic rego.

Once the kids grow up a bit I might put the SR back in the coupe and full street rego it, but right now I need the street reg'd car to be one with more than a single passenger seat!

Sorry to get you all :wacko: Aymen, but the grand plan is to end up with 3 working Datsuns, without re-mortgaging the house... ie build them as funds become available.

1600 Wagon - sleeper

S13 SR20DET and S14 5sp, aircon, 200B xmem and Datsport arms/bar, R31 3.9 LSD, hubbies on jellies or 14" Watanabes. Full street rego. It's actually already engineered for SR turbo - the motor currently in the coupe came out of this wagon.

Coupe- historic racer

L20B with 86mm flat tops, ported A87 with 72deg cam, twin 45s on Datrally manifold, S2 Dizzy, 260Z 5 speed (ooh I'm getting all nostalgic and gooey typing this.... :blush: ) 260Z flywheel with 225mm clutch, existing R200 4.11MLSD, brakes, suspension. Changing back to 1600 front xmem, arms and sway bar to fit old school offset Watanabe 16 x 8 +26 front, 16 x 8 +13 rear and 205/45 semi slicks. Occasional tarmac track use and rally or historic rego.

1000 Wagon - historic cruiser

A series, mild cam, twin 40s on Tomei manifold, elec ign, 5 speed, 14" Watanabes or 12" Hotwires and rally or historic rego.

Once the kids grow up a bit I might put the SR back in the coupe and full street rego it, but right now I need the street reg'd car to be one with more than a single passenger seat!

Sounds like a better plan there jeff... Ive used my wagon on every long distant cruise and found it to be sooo handy with the boot space and kids.... Your's will be a treat with the A/C :thumbsup:

The L series combo in the coupe will be a winner in many ways.. also will be good to see some more L power on the track to compete with ....

Bring on the progress mate !!!

Yep, there's nothing like hearing the sound of a pair of Webers echoing in the distance, then around the corner comes a 510 on full noise!!!!! (that's what got me into 510s in the first place back in high school)

Currently - as you hear the coupe come around said corner, you expect to look up and see a 200SX with no springs and a set of 20" Vault Crystals on it..... :lol: (stands by for GTR510 to jump in to defend his cousins and their hektik S14s)

Hi Jeff,

Sounds like a great plan mate,

keep us up todate,

nah you wont catch me defending s14 owners as I'm not that passionate about them but I was thinking you could change the name of your coupe thread to Ryan's Coupe Ver2.0 now yours is running wannabe's, EFI & a stroker L :)

Close but no cigar

Wannabe's - That's pretty clever dude, I'll pay that :thumbsup:

No EFI> Webers

No stroker> Cheap, simple, rev-able, balanced L20 bottom end (stroker setup has gone to greener pastures via Dural)

Yeah buddie thanks for my two votes......

i will have to also add you are wanting to be like ryan now... changing the coupe from sr to L

And Ryan is gay so your lucky you already have trophies(children) to back up your non-gayness).

I'm in the process of redoing my garage so i can finally hook in on the purple car i'm having datto withdrawals.

wag's shold be good mate you found someone to paint it??? or are you coming canberra way to get my mate to do it.

Yep you got me I want to be just like Ryan.... was hoping no one would notice, but I guess it's kinda obvious with the white coupe, Wannabe's, L series "conversion" and all.... I might go and give GUN16 a call now and see how his Ryan shrine is looking.....

As for paint, not sure Sir Fitz, at the rate I'm progressing, your mate will probably be retired.....

Yep you got me I want to be just like Ryan.... was hoping no one would notice, but I guess it's kinda obvious with the white coupe, Wannabe's, L series "conversion" and all.... I might go and give GUN16 a call now and see how his Ryan shrine is looking.....

As for paint, not sure Sir Fitz, at the rate I'm progressing, your mate will probably be retired.....

Hey while your talking to dwreck ,you could offer to sell him your coupe , He'd change some wheel nuts & put it in a mag and take all the glory !! :whistling: (ask him if he needs some pink gloves).. He may have run out of the one's i left for him @ NDN09

Anyway Ryan's gay. i agree. I found out thru ben... Ben apparently has a picture of him on his bed side table, (same one that dwreck has in the shrine ) that drives his missus nuts...

• Like 1

I'm glad I'm back into workling on Datsun projects and postin shit again - cos the posts in this thread have the site feeling like Datnet again :pirate:

That grille looks like its seen better days. Care to let a fellow datnetter restore it for you :thumbsup:

Ps looking good. and liking the plan!! Go the L series with webbers!!

Yeah the whole car is pretty much 38 years of deterioration.... Fortunately everything that looks tired (eg grille) will clean up almost like new with a little TLC.

So are you offering to restore it Mark?

I was gonna get the good old Autosol and satin black out down the track a bit, but if you are bored go right ahead! :D