TUF510

TUF-510 Datsun 1600 1972

Its been a few too many years since the last feature of my Dat. So heres a brief story/update

In 1992 i bought my first 1600 and within 3 weeks of ownership i had installed a

Z18Turbo with the first screwdriver adjustable microtech. Sold the car 9 months later

and was set on doing a VP ex chaser but funding fell through at the last minute at

Pickles Government auctions.

A short while later i found a rust free shell with a few minor problems. It had been

stolen recovered but the F$%^^ P^%$ had jumped on the roof and decided to burn the inside

as-well. Friends and family said that im wasting my time with that Shyte box. After approx 3 1/2 years, I proved them all wrong and my dream car was ready to be registered.

Since it was first registered in 1996 i have done approx 40000 miles and loved every single one of them. At one stage i had installed air-conditioning for the summer of 1998. I may re fit the air conditioning one day.

Currently the car is off the road awaiting some new CV axles, Hand-brake cables, Adjustable rear cross member and an Autronic SM4 with LS1 coils

ENGINE: FJ20ET

Arias forged pistons (20thou oversize) 8.5:1

Standard FJ20ET rods (shot-peened)

Standard Cam shafts with adjustable cam gears

Heavy duty valve springs

New Nissan Head bolts

Nitrited (however you spell it) and balanced crank

Copper Head-gasket

New piston rings and bearings

Everything blue printed to standard spec

Port matched Skyline Inlet Manifold

Maddat Top mount exhaust Manifold

Fantasy custom fuel rail

Siemans 756cc injectors

Sard Fuel pressure regulator

Mood motorsport intercooler instead of the grille (before EBAY)

Custom Tripple core V8 radiator with twin davies craig thermo fans

Custom 3" Fully Scmick stainless steel exhaust with Hi-Tech muffler

Garrett GT35/82 turbo with 0.63 rear

Turbosmart Pro external wastegate

Turbosmart blowoff valve

Microtech MT8 with laptop upgrade (Sold) upgrading to Autronic SM4

DRIVELINE:

Standard Nissan FJ20 5 speed

Standard Nissan FJ20 clutch plate

Modified FJ20 pressure plate ( dual diaphragm)

Cut down standard tailshaft with new universal joints

Automatic Torque Biasing (ATB) LSD R180

Soon to be custom CV axleshafts

BRAKES:

Front: Custom 330mm rotors

VN Group A style calipers and braided brake lines

Rear:

R31 Discs and caliper conversion

Wheels

Simmons F9R 16 x 7 all round

with Toyo tires

Suspension

reco steering box from Datsport

Lengthened lower control arms

Adjustable castor rods

Front

King prgressive rate springs

Koni red adjustable shocks

Nolathane bushes

Rear

King spring

Koni red adjustable shocks

soon to be Nolathane bushes

suspension to be re done

Interior:

200B steering column

Aerotech Front seats re trimmed

Back seat Padded to match

1980's recaro style net headrest

Autometer monster tach and boost guage

Custom Charcoal carpet by Ben at MODE

Alpine CD player, Polk Audio speakers, 12" Kicker Sub

Precision Power Amps

BODY:

Fibreglass bonnet and front guards

New Genuine front bar

New rear Tail Lights

Vermillion Fire color

Featured in Fast Fours November 1997

Serious Performance Video No 2 with Jeff Shoesmiths first SX 510

cameo appearance in backyard blitz

my first datto

myz181600sl2.th.jpg

new shell

roofja8.th.jpg

Engine bay before

b4enginebayzj3.th.jpg

painted engine bay

bareenginebayea9.th.jpg

undercoat

undercoatff6.th.jpg

Fast fours

sweet16swebdr3.th.jpg

my favourite photo

tuf510zv9.th.jpg

exhaust

dsc1985hi7.th.jpg

engine

engbayve8vt4.th.jpg

Pete, that's awesome man.

Really great to see an original is still one of the best, and still getting better every day! It's a credit to you, well done.

this is car was one of the first 1600s that really got me hooked. such a good car and so good to see it still going strong.

its great too see so many awesome looking datsuns... i think it inspires us all to go the extra step

Phil....how time flies... it only seems like last year i had my car on the dyno at TAFE...

Pete, it's great that you still have your car and it still looks just as good as it did on day 1.

I clearly remember you unveiling it at the Small Car Sunday at Valentine Sports Park Blacktown (now called Glenwood). I think you might have been the first Datto ever with that style of Simmons on it too!

Here's hoping we all still have our Dattos when we are in the retirement village And still enjoying the friendly FJ/SR rivalry

I still cant believe after 13 years the Simmons design still looks amazing. Im pretty sure i was one of the first with 16" wheels on a 1600 and one of the first with FJ20ET and A/C. Memories of Valentine Sports Park 1995 are flooding back

Long live the Datto

Pete, it's great that you still have your car and it still looks just as good as it did on day 1.

I clearly remember you unveiling it at the Small Car Sunday at Valentine Sports Park Blacktown (now called Glenwood). I think you might have been the first Datto ever with that style of Simmons on it too!

Here's hoping we all still have our Dattos when we are in the retirement village And still enjoying the friendly FJ/SR rivalry

awesome job you did pete, still looks like you just sprayed it a day ago.

As ryan said its one of the car's i also looked up to as well when i got into datsun's when i was a young fella.

Cant wait to see it with your new mods, keep up the good work

those old build photos look great, how f%^ken bright is it

i said it before and i'll say it again.... I can't believe how good the body work and paint still looks after all those years

pete i remember when you where working at the old gas n go on penant hills rd and jenkins rd, i would see it almost every day on the way home from school drowling all the way home saying man one day i will own a hot 1600 like that,there used to be a vn/p grp a ss at that servo to was that yours???

Ahh the good ol days at the Gas'NGo..I do miss driving the car everyday especially now that its awaiting some new parts .. The VN Group A was one of my bosses there.

pete i remember when you where working at the old gas n go on penant hills rd and jenkins rd, i would see it almost every day on the way home from school drowling all the way home saying man one day i will own a hot 1600 like that,there used to be a vn/p grp a ss at that servo to was that yours???

Hey Pete,

I noticed my car next to yours on that Fast 4s Article. Are you able to scan a copy of that section through to me

I can't get my hands on that Fast 4s issue.

Thanks

Adam

Awesome work with car peter, This car inspired me as well. First saw it in 96 parked in the top car park at bondi beach, back then I knew very little about 1600's and i asked my mate that i was with who owned a 1600 him self what the hell the 510 meant in the number plate? LOL 3 months later I bought a 1600 my self and got my first 510 plate.

Good to see in those 13 years you have owned it that it hasnt had many changes due to the fact it was built right the first time round.

Thanks to all for the kind words.. Lets Keep the Datsun dream alive

Really nice datto.. I remember seeing it in the fast fours issue.. must be stacked up somewhere.. Nice colour too..

HUGE cooler!!

Got some magnecor ignition leads made up today

were they done by Bob, out the back of his blue ford?

I actually stopped past magnacor after work today...Neil made them up in 20 minutes

come on pete let me know when your heading to the track we both got to beat my 12.1 @121 mph might see you at dyno at insights give you video then

Hopefully the Autronic will be wired in next weekend then i have to get it tuned, then im pulling out my rear crossmember and trailing arms to change all the bushes and slot it at the same time

Im hoping to be out at the track late Sept or early Oct but i wouldnt hold my breath....

i'll see you at the dyno on sun... i'll be there from 10.30 till 12.30pm

Looks good Pete. I was wonddering about the exhaust. Uni joint half shafts have the rubber bit in the middle but CV shafts have them either end (often where the exhaust has been run) - good to hear yours worked out.

sweet car

looks really good.

love the intercooler instead of the grill

have you ran it down the1/4 mile yet?

if so wat did it run