TUF510

TUF-510 Datsun 1600 1972

Thanks boys

I had originally planned to get an Aeromotive one but they were on back order till November so

my Bro got me this one instead.

Car is running & now i just need to get the mixtures fine tuned... Hopefully this week if Unigroup isn't booked out

After 12 rego's on the datto, it was time to replace the worn suspension parts. The front shocks were gone, springs had sagged and the bushes

were flogged out.

I have now replaced all the balljoints, tie-rod ends, castor rod bushes and the sway bar link and d bushes with

some nolathane ones.

While this was apart i got Baz from Datsport to send me a pair of 200B coilover struts with KYB inserts and King springs.

With any luck tomorrow i will be aligning it and taking it a drive

200bcoiloversld7.th.jpg

Hey mate top effort on the car its been an inspiration before I even got my licence!

same here...i think i was 12 or 13 years old when that issue of fast fours came out! i love the fact that you've kept it so long and you keep working on it :good:

Had no idea you were the original owner I remeber seeing it a Valentine sports ground for the FF&R show it was a immaculate car then and still is I still have photo's of it , I love the upgrades , most would build and then move on to something else and not enjoy it , Are they AP disc's on the front .

Nick.

Thanks guys

I can't believe that i still have it after 16 years. When i built it i thought i would keep

it long enough till the R32 GTRs came down in price. In saying that i have enjoyed the

car so much that i couldn't dare sell it, plus every other person has a skyline.

The internet has made learning / building a datto so much easier, where you can share ideas

and see good and bad points our cars. Hardly anyone would share info back when i was putting

together the datto.

At the moment i'm trying to sort out a vibration issue at 60km/h and have narrowed it down to a few

things. Hopefully i can sort it out soon as i miss driving the old girl.

Nick, i wish they were AP but unfortunately they are a custom 330mm disc to suit corvette C4 calipers

I found a matching size/offset disc off a new car but DBA wont sell them blank.

Only 330mm man that is huge the corvette calipers are similar to the Aussie PBR twin spots?, bet it stops unreal throw some semi slicks on it would be fun around a track .I got some VE rotors for my HR they were 298mm after starting the conversion I should have went with BA rotors as the offset was more favourable .Redrilling rotors is easy to do , most diff shops will do it for you at a reasonable price If you don't have access to a Mill.

Nick.

Thanks for the info Nick, will probly do them next year when i grow some more cashish.

Im in the process of getting another tailshaft shortened and balanced, hopefully before chrissy.

here are a few pix from the other day

NewBushes.jpg

Tuf510onHoist.jpg

cleaned up the moustache bar today

MoustacheBar.jpg

Its good to see the old girl getting a tickle Peter :D

The Corty is getting some at the moment too :p

Finally found the cause of my dreaded vibration that has plagued my car for the past year. After getting the tailshaft balanced

and changing bushes this still did not fix it.

Worked out that the output shaft on my gearbox has twisted. :shok:

Hopefully by February/March i can get my gearbox rebuilt with stronger internals

Jesus crist ... How the hell did you do that you dont really drive it that hard do you ??..

it's not surprising when it makes more than double the torque of a standard FJ20et and i would imagine it would be a n/a fj20 box as

most importers would keep the proper turbo boxes.

it's not surprising when it makes more than double the torque of a standard FJ20et and i would imagine it would be a n/a fj20 box as

most importers would keep the proper turbo boxes.

Hit GODATO up peter, he'd prob have a fair few broken FJ boxes lying around for parts... :rolleyes:

thanks for the offers but i do have a spare fj20 gearbox, i just need to get all the bearings and synchro rings replaced

and change all the bushes and seals

im trying to find the cashish seeds so i plant a few trees

I'd save the extra and get an RB20 box behind it Peter. The stock fj boxes are rubbish in comparison.

My mate did the conversion in his car, just needed to put the fj bellhousing on the gearbox. If it's a series 1 box then it will need the front bearing holder milled out slightly, if it's a series 2 fj box it's supposed to go straight on.

Stock tailshaft should work to.

update:

While it was off the road i had my original steering box reco'ed with new bearings and seals.

i can finally say the vibration i had is GONE!!!!!! I had my other FJ20 turbo box reco'ed this week and i put it

back in today. It has all new bearings and synchros and is a joy to drive.

Now i can drive the datto around for a bit till the front coilover springs settle then i will see if i need to lower the front as it

sits about 10mm to high for my liking. Once i do that i can give it a proper wheel alignment.

Where is the summer weather when you need it...

Nice one Pete!

I'd like to go for a spin with you to appreciate how smooth - smooth can be :-)

Always the way pete you sort it out and the crap weather settles in ..at lest you can rest easy knowing that its all good .. Well done .. ill have to come for a spin when you take it out next mate. ;)