• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
copdat

EJ20T Powered 1600 (now with pics)

:shock: OPEN YOUR EYES IG

I have a sick 10 month son at home so have had very little sleep. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it..

yeh your right jeff. It would not be hard to mod that TB and fit the usual 450 mm cooler behind the grill. Piping looks like S13 style going through the body. I suppose the cooler doesnt look too bad on the front.

looking good mate.. definately a bit different... that is a very nice colour.. only thing maybe that cooler is to big and out there mate

nice work man, thisthing is gonna sound sooo cool is it going to be street registerd, how hard is it going to be to get engineerd if so????

yes the car is going to be street rego`d and if everything is done properly it should be no hassles getting it engineered

looking good mate.. definately a bit different... that is a very nice colour.. only thing maybe that cooler is to big and out there mate

thanks mate but the cooler looks bigger than what it is because all but one bar on grille fits and bumper bar also fits.i doesn`t look to bad with everything on which you`ll see soon.

thanks mate but the cooler looks bigger than what it is because all but one bar on grille fits and bumper bar also fits.i doesn`t look to bad with everything on which you`ll see soon.

yeah thats sounds sweet mate.. look forward to it.. really like that colour..

make it 4wd that would be %#@!in awesome

i'm not doubting that the cooler will be covered up, and being the first to do this, it's all trial and error, but if i was to do the same conversion i'd sit the radiator further back, and have the cooler under the rad support, in saying that, the throttle body would have had to be in a slightly different position etc etc

Will be great to see the final outcome

i'm not doubting that the cooler will be covered up, and being the first to do this, it's all trial and error, but if i was to do the same conversion i'd sit the radiator further back, and have the cooler under the rad support, in saying that, the throttle body would have had to be in a slightly different position etc etc

Will be great to see the final outcome

it sure has been alot of trial and error and if i had my time again i would do some things different.so i hope someone else does the same conversion so i can see how they went about it.

hi guys,

just an update on my project,finally got to do some work on my car today.put wiring in and dash back in,so hopefully i can get a sparky to get some power going threw her,put in new rear shocks and springs and painted the underbody.not much done but its good to finally do something onit to get me motivated again.just deciding on a computer maybe use microtech still not sure,any feed back on which computer to use would be appriecated.

hi guys,

just an update on my project,finally got to do some work on my car today.put wiring in and dash back in,so hopefully i can get a sparky to get some power going threw her,put in new rear shocks and springs and painted the underbody.not much done but its good to finally do something onit to get me motivated again.just deciding on a computer maybe use microtech still not sure,any feed back on which computer to use would be appriecated.

Unichip seems very popular with the EJ's

Depending on what year model the EJ is. The early WRX models (and pretty sure the 93 and earlier EJ20T Libertys) can easily be remapped by snipping a zero ohm link and plugging in a new chip.

If so, my vote is the 'Vos chip' - a remapped chip for the factory ecu by Adrian Vos (think he works at Haltech?)

Had one on the EJ in our old RS Liberty - really woke it up :-)

----------------

Taken from RS Liberty Club forum:

The chip has the following attributes of its control:

* Fuelling is altered to run a far better mixture for performance. At full boost (above about 10psi), it runs an AFR of 11.5:1. If you talk to experienced tuners, you will realise that this AFR gives excellent performance whilst maintaining good engine safety. Note that the tuning is for 95 RON or greater (standard Australian premium). The knock sensor will give better performance on 98 RON fuels, but I prefer not to limit the chip to 98RON until it is more commonly available everywhere.

* Ignition is altered to max performance for the above specified fuel. The standard ECU is reasonably good in ignition advance at high boost, but far from satisfactory as boost comes on. With my maps, there is a noticable improvement in throttle response and off boost/low boost response due to the fuel and ignition maps. Note that if you are running high boost with the standard ECU, you may only get a marginal increase in top end power with my chip, as the standard ECU will lean-out at the limit of injector duty (too similar mictures to my chip or leaner!! ), and the timing is pretty good, so my chip may only pick up a few kW on a dyno, but will still dramatically fill-out the midrange and bottom end, and dramatic improvement in throttle response.

* Boost control is modified to bring boost on as quick as possible with minimal wastegate creep, and to a new level of approx 16psi. The standard ECU purposely limits boost at lower rpm, so you will get a bigger hit in the back as boost comes on. 16psi is chosen as a limit that is reliable, and does not lean-out due to running out of injector duty, and the poor flow of the standard fuel pump. If you run a better pump, you should be able to go ot about 17-18psi, but do so at your own risk.

* Boost cut limit is moved up to 18.5psi. This is where you run out of injector futy even with a good fuel pump, and I recommend you do not go over this. At your own risk, you can fit a fuel cut defender to go over this if you are aware of the risk of engine failure in doing so.

* My chip has no speed cut, for those who have a 180k speed limitter in their ECU.

* The chip is more aggressive in its use of open loop operation. This adds to the repsonisve feel of the chip as opposed to a stock ECU.

* All standard ECU features are retained... knock sensor, select monitor support etc. As far as anyone is concerned, they would not know it is there except for the performance it gains.

just an update with the progress on my project,its come back from the electricians all wiring tidied up and all is working.car is booked in to get the following done;fuel lines/surge tank ect.

brake lines

accel.cable

tail shaft

and a few other things to be connected up, then it comes home to get the computer put in [microtech] and then finally i get to hear the rumble.still needs to get the rest of the car painted,interior needs to be done and a new set of wheels and then the wait is over.im still hopefull of completing it this year.i'll try and get some updated pics up soon.

its been a while since i last posted anything up so i thought i'd give u an update for those that are interested.i did lose abit of interest while things were'nt happening due to lack of funds and time.three kids a wife and house reno's take up alot of time and money.anyway i have got my chrome work done.i am very happy with the work that the guys at chrome world and chrome tech have done.i have been waiting for nearly a year now for my car to be painted and i can finally say that come the weekend it will finally get towed over to be done.bout f**ken time i say.so once it is painted i'll get sum pics up.i cant wait finally something is getting done.

just an update.my car has been sitting for a while with not alot being done.but finally all the plumbing and final touches have been done on the motor.my computer has been wired up.i ended up using a haltech platnium 1000,with 4 Ls1 coils.so yesterday was the day that the engine was to be started but things didnt go to well.the motor started but was only running on 2 cylinders.not happy. :wallbash: so today went back to see whats happening,only got a chance to check compression.thank god all sweet there so now to track down where problem is coming from.im hoping to have it running by the weekend and then i will put a video up of it running.fingers crossed.

I saw this thing down at SSS getting the wiring done about a month or so ago. I walked in going, nice 16!, had a peek around the engine bay (hope you didn't mind). And was marveling at the work involved in doing such a thing. Had a bit of a chat to Jeff about it also.

I like how its different to the usual conversions and I'd like to see this thing going, for all the hard work to have paid off, because it looks to be intense. Hope the gains are worth it.

You would have had to hard mount the engine to the x-member, correct? Otherwise torque from the motor would land it hitting the chassis rails. From what I could see the engine didn't leave much room for clearance in the bay and overhung the rails?

I saw this thing down at SSS getting the wiring done about a month or so ago. I walked in going, nice 16!, had a peek around the engine bay (hope you didn't mind). And was marveling at the work involved in doing such a thing. Had a bit of a chat to Jeff about it also.

I like how its different to the usual conversions and I'd like to see this thing going, for all the hard work to have paid off, because it looks to be intense. Hope the gains are worth it.

You would have had to hard mount the engine to the x-member, correct? Otherwise torque from the motor would land it hitting the chassis rails. From what I could see the engine didn't leave much room for clearance in the bay and overhung the rails?

i dont mind you having a look,im glad you liked it.im sure it will be worth all the hard work.the motor is rubber mounted so ill just have to wait and see and hope for the best,there is some space between the motor and chassis rail.

Good work Terry, be great to see you on a cruise soon mate! :)

cheers mate looking forward to finally going on one

2 years later and still keen to see this thing cranking.

only 2 years for you its been longer for me.sparkies coming over on tuesday to sus out problem.then the car will be running.

just a quick update,car was only running on 2 cylinders when fired up.wasnt impressed as it was rebuilt.found out it was 180 degrees out in timing but this was caused by the cams on one side being around the wrong way.(inlet and exhaust).so i had to pull the motor out and send it back to the guy that built it.he pulled it apart and luckily for him it hadnt damaged any valves or anything.so i picked it up today and i'll be putting it back in this week,and hopefully everything will be sweet this time.