• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Historic 1967 Vb10 1000 Wagon - Granny Spec

Well I sold my 620 ute long term project and went and got me a 3 door 1K wagon :D FROM MELBOURNE!

It's the most rust free vintage Datsun I've ever seen - and it's 42 y/o this year :shok:

It takes up way less space and has room for all the crew - sort of....

Pics up soon!

• Like 1

Here it is.

Thanks very much to previous owner Sean from Ozdat who helped my old man and I load it onto the trailer about this time last week.

It's a 1967 model - the very first year the 1000 was made. Was originally blue, but has had a quick blistery red respray sometime in it's life. The blue underneath is still in quite good nick, so I assume whoever painted it did so cos they wanted it to go faster.... The black stuff in the engine bay is POR15 rust preventative coating applied by the previous owner.

As I said it is amazingly rust free, with the only area affected being the bottom section of the drivers front guard - where the guard skin meets the reinforcing. The shell itself, including the sills and inner guard areas are perfect.

It has never been in an accident, but has a fair bit of hail damage and an assortment of dents. That said, all panels are original and line up perfectly (despite what the pics lead you to believe - thanks to loose/absent bolts)

The car came with 2x A12 motors and 4 speed boxes. I plan to rebuild one and use that as the powerplant (?) then register it as a Historic Vehicle thru Sydney Datsun Club.

It also came with a bunch of spare parts!! A second bonnet, 2 speedo clusters, 67 and 68 front guard indicators, eyebrow moulds, tail lenses, spare interior door handles and winders etc. These parts are in near mint condition, so I assume they were collected by a previous owner many years ago.

Apart from the A12, the only mods will be 120Y front disc and MC/booster conversion (which it came with), neatened wiring and whitewalls on 13" 1600 wheels and hubbies.

Will be a slow process, but I'm confident it'll come up very nice :D

Enjoy!

post-153-1238850545_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850517_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850562_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850584_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850607_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850632_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850665_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850694_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850726_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850787_thumb.jpg post-153-1238850834_thumb.jpg

MORE PICS HERE ON PHOTOBUCKET

hey mate you wouldnt have a spare set of tail lights would you?

It came with some spare lenses, but only one complete set of tail lights.

I want to keep the lenses as backups tho - knowing their rarity....

Wouldn't mind a brand new pair as well - will let you know if I find any O/S. Please let me know if you do too!

New project car looks like a great base to start off with Jeff, good luck with it all! :D

Looks nice Jeff, maybe you can get a senior citizens card along with the (pre)historic rego.

Good luck with the build!!

Looks nice Jeff, maybe you can get a senior citizens card along with the (pre)historic rego.

Good luck with the build!!

Haha gold Paul! :lol:

But will it get me "beer at genuine 1976 prices" like in Crackerjack?

Hi Jeff,

My Mum had one of these (67 blue one too!) for over 20 years. I learnt to drive in it so you could say it was my first Datsun experience!

It was a fantastic car, which never let us down. I even drove it from Canberra to Albury a few times with the 12 inch wheels and 4.11 diff!!

She is regretting selling it and so am I. We are both very jealous of this project and can't wait to see the finished product.

I bought some NOS stuff from a contact in Canberra - I'll find his details and let you know.

Cheers mate.

TD - I plan to restore it to as close to original condition as possible. It's going to be difficult to get it completely original cos there are a few orig parts missing like the A10 motor, 12" wheels and hubbies, front seats, radio, accelerator pedal. If anyone finds any of these bits in their travels please let me know!!!

The main mods will be for improved safety - like 120Y front disk brakes and booster, plus some decent seat belts. Will get an A12 motor for now simply cos it came with 2 of them. Might see if I can change the diff ratio from the stock (racing?) 4.375 to something more practical like 3.9 or 3.7 while I'm at it.

YLD34T - Tobes that's cool to know your Mum used to pilot one of these! You don't have any old rego or insurance papers around with body number do you? How funny would it be if this blue wagon was her blue wagon way back?!?!

Yes please let me know about the Canberra parts contact.

Jarrad - Yep it's a great shell indeed :) The lack of rust just defies it's years! It has quite a small few dents though... so I might need some tips from you as a proper panel beater for the right approach to fix em if you're ever in the Hills area. I want to file finish the shell. I'm sure it's made from thicker steel than your average 70's Dastun so filing shouldn't cause any issues. The lines are all still good and any that need repair should be easy cos they're pretty pronounced - compared to the two swage lines down the side of a 1600.

Thanks for the positive vibes everyone, glad you like it. Isn't it funny how some of us who've built fairly modded cars eventually go full circle back into stockers again :lol:

I'm trying to decide on a colour for the paint job (whenever that actually happens...) - In keeping with the grandpa/stocker theme am thinking either off white or light banana yellow. But given they only came out in blue, red or white am thinking I should stick with it's orig blue colour - what do you guys suggest???

Did a quick scan of a Datsun 1000 brochure I bought on ebay. Some of the pages are missing a bit of detail from round the edges cos the scanner is A4 size, but brochure is slightly larger... Might try to re-scan for a better result later on.

Includes handwritten dealer quotes on the back page!

Enjoy!

th_Datsun1000brochurepg11024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg21024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg31024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg41024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg51024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg101024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg71024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg81024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg91024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg61024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg111024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg121024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg131024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg141024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg151024x768.jpg

th_Datsun1000brochurepg161024x768.jpg

Make sure you paint it the factory light blue mate.

I wish Mum still had her one......

Hey,

you've probably already seen it but there is a guy selling 2x 1000's plus parts on ozdat..

http://www.ozdat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17077

Thanks GLP - might give them a miss this time - let someone else bring em back to life!

Got me some 14x6 wheels for the wagon today :)

One has a bit of a gutter scrape, but should be an easy fix. Gotta paint em anyway...

watanabe14x6.jpg?t=1240650221

Scored some fender mirrors too so getting pretty psyched to get on with the build!

mirrors.jpg

Got me some NOS front indicator lenses today!! :D Found em on about time spares website.

th_datsunb10fenderindicators.jpg

Good to see you like to mix your Datsun's up a bit Jeff. I have always wanted (and still have plans one day) to get one of these little rockets and do the GSX1200 conversion like the kit cars and have the 6 speed sequential box. Gotta love reving a car to 18000rpm.

post-168-1241140521_thumb.jpg

Thanks Simon, gotta mix it up and keep it interesting :-) There's enough SR/FJ turbo 1600s out there now, time to do something that's interesting for different sorts of reasons (well to you and I at least....)

....and a GSX1200 powerplant would certainly be interesting!!!!!

you wont get a bike engine engineered in a car here due to the adr's in place unfortunately...cause i looked into doing one a while back.

Thanks Simon, gotta mix it up and keep it interesting :-) There's enough SR/FJ turbo 1600s out there now, time to do something that's interesting for different sorts of reasons (well to you and I at least....)

....and a GSX1200 powerplant would certainly be interesting!!!!!

ah you cant go past a "A" series for a bit of cheap fun !!!!!