• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Historic 1967 Vb10 1000 Wagon - Granny Spec

ah you cant go past a "A" series for a bit of cheap fun !!!!!

You sure Ben? I doubt an A series could be faster than a Z car around Morgan Park?..... B)

Slowly collecting parts for the VB10, now have a new set of (rare) upper and lower balljoints, A15 engine, twin 40mm webers, DR30 stumpy 5 speed (to be adapted to A series B) ) coupe round gauge cluster inc tacho, some 12" hotwires and whitewalls, front windscreen (thanks for delivery Dave), all good stainless for gutters screens and sills, all good badges, some straight bumpers, plus my lightweight (5.2kg ea) 14x6 Watanabes arrived from NZ this week - $AU325 for the set - bargain! The offset is absolutely perfect for the 1000 too :-) The measurement the Kiwi seller gave me was out by 15mm (should have had the wheels sitting 15mm further in), but as they arrived, the fronts sit just inside the guard lip - awesome :sorcerer:

Picked up a set of new 165/55/14 Yokohamas locally from eBay for only $60 ea too!

I like this version of the Wats, cos the spokes slightly overlap the rim.

post-153-12538386713981_thumb.jpg

Minor update - Scored some good bits for the 1K on ebay this week :)

A set of 2 year old (1 weeks use) 12" tyres for the 1000 stockers - ready for white wallin!

Bargain at $12.50 ea.....

post-153-12717698671899_thumb.jpg

And better yet, an extremely rare NOS 1000 grille!!!!!!! (luckily right type for my year model too)

post-153-12717699144379_thumb.jpgpost-153-12717699484107_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of red 'D' badges for the grille, but neither are what you'd call perfect. Please let me know if you have a good one.

Hoping to start on the restoration in the next few months :wacko:

built an edge buggy a few years ago,was ment to have a hyabusa motor but i went with a cheaper more sane z750.shed load of fun.Sorry for the venturing off topic :whistling:

ce5779ba.jpg?t=1271840631

Bought an old CA18DE off one of the Datnet boys. Wanted to test it ASAP - so I did :rolleyes:

Looks like I'll be shelving the A series and historic rego for a while, keen to put the CA into the 1000 and try my hand at some tarmac motorkhanas, skid pans and hill climbs for a while - should be fun :)

hehe cool :thumbsup: beats instaling a rooted motor

Love your video Jeff, Awsome mate........... :thumbsup: Thumbs up back to you....

It's really quite easy to do. Thinking it might be time to build a better (read: SAFER) EFI pump/jerry can rig. Would be a handy thing to have on hand.

If anyone else wants to start up an EFI engine on their shed floor just let me know :thumbsup:

All thats required is about half hour of mucking around and a few bourbons. Thinking bourbon is what made me do it actually...... :wacko:

Hey Jeff, thats one awesome VB10.

I wish I had one like it. ;)

A CA18 in a car that weighs 750 kgs and has front ranverse leaf spring... you're mad....

I love it.

Any other prgress as yet? Colour choice?

Pretty sure it weighs approx 660kg actually (inc motor and driveline) - so yeah, it won't need much motor-vation to get it moving.

Will be interesting to see if it can be made to handle OK. Just needs to work for low-ish speed events. I don't care if it's not all that crash hot, cos all I want to do is have some fun (and hopefully keep it the right way up....)

No progress at all unfortunately as I have very little spare time around family, work and house rennos right now. Should see some progress from about September all going well.

Just bought a second CA18 which has apparently done only 60,000Km...??? Will fire it up on the weekend (with new video and dodgy commentary of course :thumbsup: )

For the price I'm picking em up for, its not worth even thinking about rebuilds...

Hey Jeff,

I'd be interested to know exactly how much it does weigh because according to previous registration of your VB10 its "TARE 750"

Let me know If you want me to send them up to you.

Can't wait to see your new video.... hopefully with safer engine mounts

:thumbsup:

I thought you had gone Sean? Good to see you back on mate. Found the keys yet? :whistling: It's nearly road ready..... :rolleyes:

Yes please send the papers if you can, may help with re-rego one day. Will PM you.

Just remembered I had a Datsun 1000 brochure stashed away - Survey says:

(either 645 or 665 Kg)

post-153-094557700 1279708778_thumb.jpg

Gotta love the way the 1000 wagon sold with no seatbelts, and only anchorages for the front seat occupants, but had all-important ashtrays for ALL FOUR seats......

Just gone from OzDat.

I have a collection of keys here, will send some up.

Will your new Ca18 video be up by the end of this weekend?

OK so new CA18DE (ie #2) which was got for the princely sum of $250 with loom and ecu (inc about another $50 worth of extra parts) turns out to be a DUD :wallbash:

Wired/plumbed it up on my patented shed floor 'jig' alongside CA18DE #1. It had the typical CA trait of 4x completely stuck injectors.... but a quick connection of each direct to a car battery and tap on each with a hammer and screwdriver and they now all tick and spray fuel again :thumbsup: So engine cranks over and bursts into life, but above idle I hear a "tap tap tap" from the crankcase.... :unsure: shut down.....

Flipped it upside down, whipped off the sump and find a spun big end bearing on #1 cylinder.

Consulting Mr P from Dural Datsun, we believe that the cause of death (injury actually - death is a tad strong) is that someone ran the engine either without oil or with very low oil. Cylinder #1 is first stop after the oil pump, so if the oil pump took a gulp of air - Cylinder #1 would be the first to spin dry. Sound feasible?

The big end bearings don't even look that bad considering the trauma they've endured. You can see the scratch mark across the left one, showing where the right one came to rest after it spun. The bearings on 2,3 & 4 are in perfect condition, so all good there.

Anyway, after removing the oil film from the crank journal there doesn't appear to be ANY scoring of the surface - so I will gap up a new pair of bearings, throw them in, and call it fixed for now. Lets face it, its a 60,000km old $250 engine so no point spending big bucks on it - without at least trying the cheap fix option first...

post-153-092085600 1280803617_thumb.jpgpost-153-033603500 1280803631_thumb.jpgpost-153-083425300 1280803643_thumb.jpgpost-153-096018700 1280803656_thumb.jpg

Hey Jeff,

Im jealous, of the whole bit- 1000 wagon... with CA in it :yes: floor mount engine testa :yes: ( with the possibilty to earn booze of it :yes::yes: )

The garage space... :yes:

Cant wait to see the end result. :yes:

Well neither of the CA18DE's have flywheels (one was an auto and other manual sans FW), so I considered buying a 2nd hand one. After weeks of searching all I could find were drift thrashed, stress cracked, over machined CA18DET FWs - so I bought a brand new lightened tempered chrome moly one (5.9kg vs stock at 10.9kg)

It arrived from the USA today and looks very good quality - here's some pics:

post-153-000505200 1284549237_thumb.jpgpost-153-032925300 1284813344_thumb.jpg

Not sure how it would stand up to flyby-like terrible abuse behind a turbo CA, but I'm sure it will be more than adequate for my non-T 1000 :thumbsup:

I paid $260 delivered, but given the few extra cents the AUD now buys you would prob get one here for closer to $250. eBay link

Love the 1000 wagon mate,

Coming a long nicely,

Well after a slight reality check and mission adjustment I am back into the the 1000 wagon project - and back to my original plan of a build with A series power, historic rego and reasonably regular road use in mind. Have sold one of the CA18s (but kept the one with spun bearing - just in case :-) Have also sold my 4dr 1600 project off - to a local rally fan (Steve C).

So with a clean shed, Spring now officially in season and daylight saving just around the corner, I am psyched to get restoring.

Here's the A series I'll be starting out with - why not??? it was certainly the right price :thumbsup:

Found a novel use for the bare timber studs in my shed:

post-153-0-20002700-1315141992_thumb.jpg

120Y brakes and booster:

post-153-0-77096600-1315142058_thumb.jpgpost-153-0-69173200-1315142074_thumb.jpg

Found this old pic I took enroute to Phillip Island Datnats 2007 - 1Ks apparently don't need fancy car trailers!

post-153-0-17211900-1315171308_thumb.jpg

Just wanted to let you all know I'm back into this project after a busy year of work and family matters. The warm weather (and xmas time off work) always gets the motivation going. Recently got about 4 days into the bodywork and have pretty much completed the panel beating of the rear quarters and rear beaver. Lots of Grandpa parking dents... Pretty happy with my backyard panel beating efforts. Will try to get some pics up soon.

In the meantime, thanks to the Sweet Brown youtube video:

post-153-0-98363500-1358223758_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Good afternoon Mr S,

It is amazing how time flies when you are busy.

Good to hear you are back into it.

Nothing wrong with old school power and the A Series should push it along fairly well.

You should be able to fit a couple of NOS bottles in the back just in case.

I can't see you getting is ready for PI in March ?

Maybe next Datnats.

Cheers

Eric