• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
Sign in to follow this  
sl33pe

Sl33pe's New Engine Ca20det

Thought i would put some specs up of the new ca18det stroker engine 2050cc

ca18det block decked and bored 2mm

ca20 crank with machined counter weights and rebalanced

ca20 oil pump, flywheel, front pulley

spool conrods

JE 85mm forged pistons

acl race bearings

mild port head

tomei cams

gt2871

just got the thing together! missed out on dyno day by a day. spewin!

Sounds great the extra capacity will help spooling and no doubt power time for a larger turbo , very intrested in more detailed info 400cc extra would love to build one . When I put my engine together many years ago I wanted to do a stroker CA . Every time you race the car I never go to that meet one day I'd like to catch up some great numbers from the little beast even pre stroker .

Nick.

Thought i would put some specs up of the new ca18det stroker engine 2250cc

ca18det block decked and bored 2mm

ca20 crank with machined counter weights and rebalanced

ca20 oil pump, flywheel, front pulley

spool conrods

JE 85mm forged pistons

acl race bearings

mild port head

tomei cams

gt2871

just got the thing together! missed out on dyno day by a day. spewin!

sorry its 2050cc not 2250cc . I wish i could get it to 2250cc

Still interested in the small specs 200 - 400 who cares any extra is a bonus.

Nick

Sounds great the extra capacity will help spooling and no doubt power time for a larger turbo , very intrested in more detailed info 400cc extra would love to build one . When I put my engine together many years ago I wanted to do a stroker CA .

Nick.

Sorry my typo error! its 2050cc 88mm stroke 85mm bore around 250cc increase.

John.

Still interested in the small specs 200 - 400 who cares any extra is a bonus.

Nick

Hi Nick, There is a bit of talk about ca20det's around the net, most are det heads on ca20 blocks. But to retain the ca18 block for engineering. i have just used a ca20 crank and bored the block 2mm. The main difference with the crank is a smaller snout at front and a 6 bolt flywheel. I have used the ca20 oil pump, flywheel and front pulley, the main issue is the timing gear (different size teeth) with this i have had the ca20 gear machined down basically into a sleeve so that the larger ca18det gear will slide over the top then made up 1 large keyway to lock the 2 and also dowelled the joint. with the pistons i have used 85mm ford zetec pistons, these have a higher pin height and are dished, but even so still required machining off the tops but being dished the meat only came off the edge not the middle.

Ideally custom pistons could be made these were just heaps cheaper being off the shelf from the US

john

Thanks John standard CA18 rods , this zetec engine can you divulge any more year size etc.............this sounds like a build for my spare block.

Thanks again Nick.

Thanks John standard CA18 rods , this zetec engine can you divulge any more year size etc.............this sounds like a build for my spare block.

Thanks again Nick.

Hi mate, rods are ca18 spool! I found these pistons on the JE piston chart, they have a 20mm pin same as ca18 and a higher pin height and are 85mm 2mm larger than ca18. with the larger stroke 83.6 - 88mm you need to make up 2.2mm either with a shorter rod (not a good idea) or higher pin height in piston this is how the tomei stroker kit works.

sleepy your not worryed about the strenght of the ca20 crank at all are you?

i have herd that CA20 bottom ends are pretty weak! weather or not they are refering to the cranks im not sure.

great build btw

Seb

the weak part in a CA20E is the rods, i've heard of them breaking in daily drivers, that aren't even flogged

Hi mate, rods are ca18 spool! I found these pistons on the JE piston chart, they have a 20mm pin same as ca18 and a higher pin height and are 85mm 2mm larger than ca18. with the larger stroke 83.6 - 88mm you need to make up 2.2mm either with a shorter rod (not a good idea) or higher pin height in piston this is how the tomei stroker kit works.

thanks for your info .

Nick.

QUOTE (SEB20DET @ Jul 17 2009, 08:06 AM) sleepy your not worryed about the strenght of the ca20 crank at all are you?

i have herd that CA20 bottom ends are pretty weak! weather or not they are refering to the cranks im not sure.

great build btw

Seb

Hi Seb, the ca20 crank is actually stronger than the ca18 crank around the journals, but does have a smaller snout at front and 2 less bolts on flywheel. But so far so good engine is making more power with 5psi less boost and heaps more torque.

I think when people say the ca20 is weak i think they are refering to the rods they are like toothpicks smile.gif

Hi fellas. Very interesting reading this. I've been running a CA20DET (CA20 block & S13 CA18DET head) in my S12 Gazelle up here in Qld. How is you car going? Any more progress on the CA?