• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
GLP510

72' Gl 510 Grandpa Spec Glory Thread

62 posts in this topic

Freekin AMAZING!!

Cheers guys, getting there slowly, very slowly. ;-)

Cheers guys, getting there slowly, very slowly. ;-)

There's nothing wrong with "slowly" These things take time to do well!

Its looking GREAT!

Thanks!.. Yeah it looks the goods, unfortunately it's a very pretty garage ornament until I find some time to get it moving,

Dear Santa,

I've been a very hard working guy this year and all I'd like for Xmas is some time to work on my Datto,

Ooh and maybe some parts,

hahaha

Got a whole load of motivation from Datsun Day though, it was really surprising how cars you see online look sooo much better in person.

Great Event! Credit to all the organisers and people that made it happen!!

Hopefully that is the last event I have to go to without a Datsun.

Quick Q?

I've searched high and low thru 2 Datsun manuals and one gregory's as well as on here and Ozdat.

Can anyone give me a definite answer whether the ball joints are mounted on top or below the LCA's??

I'm putting money on TOP but if that's the case then the road safe brand I've got don't mount correctly as the casting doesn't allow the joint to sit with the mounts flush or lined up correctly. Angle grinder or new joints?

Thanks for any help

Small update..

I've been totally slack with the build thread but have been quite busy with the actual build.

The front end is back in including Datsport R31 struts, SWR lengthened control arms, all 555 joints, super pro bushes and some bump steer spacers.

New brake lines in the front and Willwood bias valve installed.

R31 rear brakes in and plumbed up plus new bushes in the a arms, I stopped short of dropping the rear cross member. That can wait for down the track when the diff gets an upgrade.

There's probably more...

The plan is to be on the road for the Nationals... fingers crossed.

Brown dash is in, a lot of wiring is needed for some JDM accessories

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

IMG_0300.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

Sorry bout the dodgy phone quality pics

Fast forward a couple of weeks,

car started on Monday after we spent 3hours chasing Electrical issues that turned out to be a dodgy ignition switch,

Called Datsport at 2:40pm on Monday and by 10:30am Tuesday I had it in my hands in the Blue Mountains NSW, installed shortly after.

Can't beat that kind of service!!!

Lights, guages, horns and such are slowly coming back online

Hoping for a pink and blue slip in the next week or so and some H plates to get it legal.

I'm going to have to wait to have a kid now to top the sound of a new engine starting up..

Happy happy days

Good work Mick, some great progress. Heard you'd been working hard but never knew you planned to get to the nats! keep it up mate!

Worst possible update....

WARNING Following pics can cause serious damage

On my way back from picking up a new PWR Radiator for future development down the track my car got written off. I was in traffic southbound on the Pacific Hwy in Turramurra, traffic came to a stop and I was the last in the queue.

I remember thinking I'll adjust the AM radio while I'm stopped and as I looked in that direction I caught sight of the car behind me in the rear view mirror coming way too fast up my arse. I didn't have a chance to think what to do or even brace, or kiss my arse goodbye before impact.

Woman behind me has been more interested in the price of petrol than the road and came around the corner and cleaned me up full speed 60km/hr. She said she didn't get the chance to brake... Pretty sure the chassis is rooted, the tow ball transfered most of the force straight into the rear chassis rails before punting me the 2m into the car in front so the front is caved in as well.

I spent most of yesterday in and out of balling, in between a stint in hospital and lodging a statement with the police.

I now know what a crash test dummy feels like. Am absolutely gutted, I would have been lucky to have driven the car 20 times since the resto. Pics to follow, I guess it's part of the healing process to share the pain with people who will understand how massive a loss this feels like. I've heard all the "it's only a car" and "you can replace a car, you can't replace you" lines and agree but think I'll snap on the next person that offers one up. 10yrs to get it together and Easter to December on the road and it's gone.

c9a9fe62.jpg

4967a9e4.jpg

164e7f49.jpg

im in pain.... imm sooo sorry for you loss... F&*K

fuck man that sux big time i know how you feel .... :sweat:

i just hope you don't get the fuck around with the insurance company's like i did when i lost mine, i wasn't at fault either

let us know what they recon it is worth, I'm sure we (the SDC) can help you out with a letter of value for the insurance company to state what it is worth and contact Baz from Datsport I'm sure he will also help you with a letter of value if you need one.

You may need it don't be afraid to ask!!!!! when mine was written off they told me it was only worth $2500

$hit fella, sorry to hear about the accident and see the damage to the datto. Glad you are ok though and you weren't at fault.

Agree with what was said above. Baz usually can help with statement of what the car is worth.

Do you think you'll start another project?

Thanks for the advice guys.

I had an agreed value with Shannon's of $20,000 and salvage rights. But yeah that covers about half of it

Thats shit house , Glad you ok though,

Hope It works out for you with insurance and all,

That sucks big time mate. This was my favourite 1600 at the datsun day and its the style im building mine too at the moment.

Im hoping for your sake that everything goes well with the insurance and you end up with something of the same quality.

that sucks big time mate!!!! i know the feeling. only had my car on the road for a couple months and some idiot decided to T-bone mine. he said he couldnt see me. how the FARK can you not spot a bright orange car directly infront of you?

Anyways hope you get what the insurance company said and the salvage rights. that way even if you buy one already finished you can make abit of cash from parts?

Mate I'm speechless. Shit like that just makes you want to forget about cars all together.

He man, sorry to here. i respect this car so much- it was it full form at datsun day and allways gets alot of respect.

Thanks for the support everyone. Ironically, physically the part that hurts the most still is the seatbelt bruise across my left pec, it's either from that or from where my heart was ripped out.. Lol. I am definitely impressed with how 40yr old 'magnetic' seat belts performed, no head impact which was lucky.

So have been pretty busy over the last couple of months and after taking a hammer and dolly to the front and rear it's come up pretty noice.

6b6ef354.jpg

5b75e748.jpg

Now I just need to work on the dent in the bank balance :blush:

It wasn't that bad to be honest, Shannons came through with a payout for the agreed value within a fortnight with very little F'ing around.

nice work mate. cant wait to see this thing in the flesh. Did you get to keep the wreck?

Yep, my problem now is making the time to part it out.

Yep, my problem now is making the time to part it out.

Very rice buy.. will be good to see it out & about !!