• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
GLP510

72' Gl 510 Grandpa Spec Glory Thread

I originally bought this car back in 97 or 98 from a Grandpa who had owned it since new. It had been his wife's car and had done 55000 miles worth of trips up to the shops.

I drove it around for a year or two and then took it off the road so I could spend my money on motorbikes, travelling and enjoying life. After 10 years of garage life there is finally a break in the traffic of reasons why I can't get this car back on the road. I've started this thread to hopefully keep me motivated to get the car on the road by the end of the year. Considering it's only going to be an L20 upgrade with an LPG conversion it's not up there with some of the fire breathing beasts of today but it will end up being a tidy little Datto.

img0005rdj.jpg

img0259x.jpg

Specs will be as follows

Engine:

Nissan L20b from a factory LPG 200b (rebuilt by Datsport)

Standard internals

Electronic Dizzy

Thermo Fan

Triple cored original radiator

Exhaust, 2 1/2 maybe.

Pacemakers

Fuel System:

Not 100% as yet. Impco mixer, carbie.

Tank in original location

Brakes:

Rebuilt small can booster

Unknown master cyclinder (at this point)

Wilwood rear brake proportioning valve (TBC)

Front:

Nissan R31 slotted rotors

Nissan R31 calipers

Datsport ADR-OK Braided Lines

Pads (to be decided)

Rear:

Nissan R31 Slotted rotors

Nissan R31 Calipers

Datsport ADR-OK Braided Lines

Datsport R31 Handbrake cables

Pads (to be decided)

Driveline:

Borg Warner Column Shift Auto

R160 Subaru Clutch pack 3.7 LSD

New axle bearings plus unis

Suspension

Front:

R31 struts with adjustable spring platforms

Bump steer spacers

King lowered springs

Z31 KYB inserts

SWR Lengthened rods

New Noltec bushes, tie rods/ends, ball joints and draglink (track rod)

Rear:

King lowered springs

KYB Gas-adjust shocks

Interior:

Factory JDM Brown GL dash (matching red needle tacho)

Nardi wheel

Mazda mx5 seats

Stock AM Radio

Wheels & Tyres

Front R31 Chasers 15 x 6.5(?), 195/50/15,

Rear R31 Chasers 15 x 6.5(?), 195/50/15

Plus 280zx iron cross alloys 14inch and TRX alloys as spare sets

Other bits and pieces include rear venetians, H1/H4 headlight upgrade, front metal visor, NOS tail lights, NOS fender mirrors, NOS Front side indicators, s/s gutter moulds, rear panel garnish, new rubbers throughout and heaps of other stuff I've got boxed up and have forgotten about.

I'll aim to get some progress and more pics up soon.

Am currently looking for a reputable place to get the engine bay and a few other bits painted whilst the conversion is being done. Any recommendations are welcomed ;)

• Like 2

Typing this thread is taking away time from working on the datto Michael :)

btw, speak to Mark P about the engine bay paint etc, his friend who is helping with the club car and did Peter's silver 1600 does good work i'm told.

Cheers Dunnis, you read my mind. It's on my list of phone calls to make this week. Not looking for a shop stopping paintjob just something neat and honest. I cheated with the typing, copied and pasted with a few changes from another thread. ;)

Tyrie funny you knew the correct width as I bought them from you :lol:

k so a bit of an update.. nothing too exciting!

After a lot of persuasion I rolled the car out of the garage for its first taste of sunshine in 8 or 9 years..!

Gave it a good going over with the water pressure cleaner before assessing how much toll time has taken on the paint.

Then I got stuck into removing the fuel tank which included the rear seat in the process. Of course it was full, so I now have the fragrant odour of 9yr old Super through the cabin. Ah well now it smells like a real Datsun. Anyways, a couple steps closer to being ready for paint at the end of the month.

Highlight of the day was dead lifting the new "black heart" L20 and doing my back. :good:

p8020016.jpg

one empty boot

p8020041.jpg

nardi bling

p8020008.jpg

hmmm that L20 beautiful mate. All black certainly does look trick. I also really like the Nardi. Its a nice touch too.

Alrighty, UPDATE TIME.

I took Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off this week to get things happening. As previously said the car has lived in my mums garage for the last 8-9yrs and in that time has not been started. I called a local Towie to get the car up to a good friend's workshop on Monday and after telling him how steep the driveway is he advised to call him once the car was at the top.

So.. Sundays mission was to get the car to the top of the driveway. It felt like Mount Everest last Friday! No Tow truck driver wanted to give it a try for less than $300. The driveway is about 100 meters long and there was no way in hell I was paying that!

Option A was to get the car started and drive it up.

Option B was to borrow a mates Triton Ute as I know no one with a friggin 4wd. The Ute option was sketchy as it was only a two wheel drive and the driveway is hell steep.

Now I'm not terribly cluey with cars, I'd like to be but the reality is I don't get to practice very often.

I'd pulled the fuel tank out already and had disconnected most of the wiring loom. Thankfully I made the effort to label the connections from where they belonged or I would have been royally fcuked. SO I re-connected all the wiring and guessed about 25% of the connections, and refitted the fuel tank. I must have got the wiring kinda right as it would turn over via a screw driver shorting the starter but showed no sign of coming to life even with several shots of "Start ya bastard". The screw driver in the starter was necessary because it has an alarm fitted with immobiliser that I can't reset.

Insert about 1 1/2 hours of fiddling and head scratching before I noticed that when I turned the key to START the alarm light started flashing so I tried it with the key turned to start and it came to life! Although only if I held the key to start :huh:

So rather than figure out the wiring prob I held the key on whilst I warmed up the engine for a while. When i came the driving it I got my Mum who was buzzing around waiting for me to blow something up to hold the key while I started it and then jumped in the drivers seat and did the exchange. First ascent I checked I still had brakes. Second attempt I tried with intent and got half way up and the third I backed it as far back as possible without dropping off a ledge, gave it some revs, smashed it into Low and floored it.

To both of our amazement it got over the top. I felt the need for a happy dance but there was so much smoke and the neighbours were giving me the stink eye so I danced on the inside.

This photo doesn't do it justice but this is the drive

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5485/p8240048.jpg

Monday the car was taken up to Ken's workshop. They were flat out so I came back after lunch. We got stuck into it around 1pm and by 8pm the engine, auto and tailshaft were out.

Tuesday I dummy fitted the Steering box brace and the Fender Mirrors and pulled the whole wiring loom out. I didn't get a pic of the empty bay as I felt like a bit of dick taking photos haha

GGGrrrrrr. I'm trying to post pics using the method I used prior to the upgrade but am getting no love.

If anyone can advise how to get the larger pics up on the new site please let me know. I'm using image shack if that makes a diffrence

Not much else to tell, car got stripped and is now sitting in South Maroota at Top Kolor awaiting panel and paint work. :thumbsup:

Hi there, nice build and great story mate,

should look good coming from that paint shop,

anyway good luck with it all, see it on the road soon,

Cheers, I like hearing other people's stories so thought I'd better return the favour. If it wasn't for a few stories of guys having no idea and still tackling projects I don't think I'd have the balls to try. But a project thread isn't much without pics so I'll try to sort out some more over the weekend :D

Edited by GLP510

Cheers, I like hearing other people's stories so thought I'd better return the favour. If it wasn't for a few stories of guys having no idea and still tackling projects I don't think I'd have the balls to try. But a project thread isn't much without pics so I'll try to sort out some more over the weekend :D

Good luck with the build.... Your in good hands with Roy @ Top Kolor... Absolute Professional !!! Bring on the pics of the build !!

Looking good!

I'll look forward to seeing this one all done! sounds like it will be nice, neat and subtle.........spot on!

And your drive is as bad as mine!!

Woo hoo I've overcome technological retardance and got some pics up via the post then edit method. It's a bit of a juggling act trying to get multiple pics at once due to the time limit on being able to edit but I can live with that.

Cheers Nathan, neat and subtle sums it up. Looking forward to going for a cruise sometime in the future :thumbsup:

Thanks Mark, I probably committed every dumb act when I took the car to Roy, I didn't ask any of the questions I should have, didn't get anything in writing and as he said he had just finished a Mustang and had the time to do the whole car I changed the plan from just getting the bay and rear end done to the entire car. It felt like it was too good an opportunity to pass on. But if that had been the original plan I would have stripped the car completely, as it turned out it still had all the interior, windows, door handles etc in it, so part of me is freaking out a little that I'm not taking part in it being pulled apart and how I will cope with putting it all back in but the fact that guys like yourself with so much more experience than myself rate him so highly keeps the freak-o-meter level at bay haha

If it had been any other paint shop or business I probably wouldn't be sleeping at night for fear of the whole thing turning into a nightmare.

anyways a couple more pics

I'm a huge fan of fender mirrors B)

p8250056y.jpg

trim bits n pieces I've polished up

p8020039.jpg

Edited by GLP510

Bring on the oldscl bling mate !!! this will be an interesting build...

Im glad you can sleep @ night..... rest assured...it will turn out tip top.... :thumbsup:

BTW ...the fender mirrors rock !!!

Nice build so far.

I had no worries at all leaving my car at Top Kolor to be painted.

Roy did my roof and quarter panels and did a awesome job matching the colour, so as others have said your 1600 is in good hands

Alrighty, UPDATE TIME.

I took Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off this week to get things happening. As previously said the car has lived in my mums garage for the last 8-9yrs and in that time has not been started. I called a local Towie to get the car up to a good friend's workshop on Monday and after telling him how steep the driveway is he advised to call him once the car was at the top.

http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/5485/p8240048.jpg

Doesn't look that steep to me... And I wouldn't have charged you 300!!! :thumbsup:

LOL yes michael i remember that driveway, cant really forget it!

Finally your getting this project up and running! good work, there is no turning back now, goodluck!

Well back from the murky depths of page 3 of the build threads. :lol:

Not much to report, car has been back from Top Kolor since Feb. It looks very white and am pretty happy with the job Roy did !

I've been working 6 days a week for most of the year and only just got the weekend just past to make any progress on it, living 60+kms away from the car also doesn't help, oh and I bought a house in June so all up there has been f all time for the car.

I managed to pull out the front end to re bush, put in new ball joints, tie rod ends and have dropped off the LCA's at Stewart Wilkins for a 15mm extension and put in an order for beefed up radius rods and longer tie rods. SO once that all gets picked up I'll put the front end back in and get started on the rear.

Still up in the air about going with the C210 struts or R31's and have possibly shit-canned the LPG route after a few older and wiser guys expressed concerns.

Thanks for the support Aymen and others and thanks Dave for the write up in the SDC newsletter. Bit embarassing reading my words in a publication but it's good motivation to get it happening.

The aim is to have it running, rego'd and in use this summer and well and truely sorted for DATNATS, also looking forward to some cruises to put some faces to names.

Anyway words are boring, I'll try and get some pics up soon

Very tidy indeed. !!

Roy's done a top job on the paint .. :thumbsup:

No progress but have got back my newly extended LCA's, tie rods and castor rods.

P9120004.jpg

P9120003.jpg

And a pic with it's face back on

P8220013.jpg

It's going to be tight but am going to try and get my R31 strut coilovers done before the October long weekend so I can get it back down on the front wheels again, before starting on the rear.. fingers crossed