• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
fveten

FIA-510 The L series Project.

Finally got round to firing it up last week. After the initial prime of the fuel and oil pressure check ... A.O K. Took it up the road for a test, and it went like a champion... Till i hit second.. then the pressure plate let go ( slipping)

It just spun the clutch in all gears..... Damn... Second to that, it also starved for fuel when on full throttle... Double damn....

I found out that the reg that i was using was wrong, it was a <15 PSI and under efi pump reg... The bastards are hard to tell with virtually no markings on it to an untrained eye..

Any way, ordered a Carby Turbo Malpassi Reg from Rocket , which i picked up today..

Pulled the box out , and removed the clutch and then rang aroung looking for a pressure plate.

The L20 clutch is smaller than the 6 cyl clutches so it made the choice hard..

Ended up with a pressure plate thats pink :o its the hardcorest one i could get..A daikin extreme number...

gallery_397_30_661534.jpg

Had the flywheel machined while i was there.

gallery_397_30_921696.jpg

Had to use the 6 cylinder throw out bearing and housing because the pressure plate's not as tall as the orig 1600/180B number..

So all ive got to do know is plumb up the Reg and see if this clutch will hold up ... :D

Go the mighty L series - they're coming back I tell you B)

(insert mental image of Baz saying - "but they never left Jeff, never")

Go the mighty L series - they're coming back I tell you B)

(insert mental image of Baz saying - "but they never left Jeff, never")

Go the L series.... I'll definately be bringing a few out of the woodwork soon... ;)

( FIA 2L , 2.4 stroker, twin delorto 2L turbo, etc...)

Just about done with the trim tidy up. Fitted a new dash cap and some new guages under the radio console.

I picked up some SSS trims. these things are like new..

They match the honey brown paint better than the orig off white numbers..

1004738wo0.th.jpg

1004739dq2.th.jpg

Here's some pics of it all ready to run.

I wasnt happy with the shitty copper oil feed line to the turbo..

1004815ap2.th.jpg

So, i went down to motorsport connections and got a new teflon braided line made up..

From this

1004811uh0.th.jpg

To this

1004973rg8.th.jpg

1004975it1.th.jpg

1004812xk8.th.jpg

I fitted the new oil line up and got it all running. With the High flow facet pump and a Malpassi carby turbo regulator.

I ran a bigger fuel line from the pump to the pressure reg. And i used the old fuel line for the return from the reg.

Initially had around 2 psi press on idle with up to 10 psi on boost.. Looks good . time for a test run..

Ran it up the road.. Boosted up all good... half way thru 2nd gear, it would starve. The presure on the fuel guage would drop right off.. Damn.. Need a higher flow pump..

So i bought a Carter Black pump. It flows 100 gallons/hr as against the 25/hr for the malpassi..

1004974ae4.th.jpg

1004938vi3.th.jpg

1004945lv8.th.jpg

Fired it up tonight with the new pump. It gets the back out in 2nd now !!! :good:

Ive got a bit of fine tuning to do before the weekend.. hopefully be good to go for the cruise on Sat night...

Nice one Mr P ;-)

Thanks jeff.

I might swing by yours tonight mate, on the test run ??

UPDATE...

Ive upgraded the fuel lines so its now 5/16 supply and return. I was using the 1/4 inch line as a return, but found that it kept the fuel pressure @ the reg around 8-10 psi. I ran a 5 1/6 line and it reduced down to 2-3 PSI at idle.

It still starves for fuel after a few seconds on boost (full throttle). but ok on 3/4 throttle

It goes like a boar untill it cuts out . It seems to be worse under half a tank full of fuel. :huh:

So ive had another tank modded to suit the 5/16 inlet and outlet instead of the 1/4 and 5 /16 OEM combo.

im also going to change the boost reference for the pressure reg from the manifold to before the butterfly in the intake plenum. The vaccum affects the fule pressure on deceleration.

Im going to get it on the dyno soon to check it all out , but found it hard to get a good dyno tuner in Sydney that has worked with carby turbo's.

here's some pics of gordo on the lawn....

25102008126.jpg

25102008130.jpg

Go Gordo the L block turboed datto, stock on the out side, looks great.

Go Gordo the L block turboed datto, stock on the out side, looks great.

Just been shopping on Ebay .... Bought a sun visor ... Soo cool, yet daggy old skool !!!

The L20B/Z24 stroker is only a few weeks away, been waiting for the machine shops to open after the extended Xmas break :rolleyes: They've got to balance the new Aluminium Flywheel and 6 Cyl clutch p/plate, then its ready to assemble... :good:

DSC_0016.jpg

its ur pump mate, the gallons per hour isnt that important its the pressure, those facets ore only good for around 4psi, you need to match ur boost psi ie if ur running 15psi ur pump needs to go upto that, i ran a holley blue with the same reg as you it worked but was limited to 14psi, ive seen ppl use an efi reg before

its ur pump mate, the gallons per hour isnt that important its the pressure, those facets ore only good for around 4psi, you need to match ur boost psi ie if ur running 15psi ur pump needs to go upto that, i ran a holley blue with the same reg as you it worked but was limited to 14psi, ive seen ppl use an efi reg before

Thanks for the reply Jasol,

I ditched the facet after the first test run.. Im currently running a Carter Black pump. which can run up to 15 PSI.

But it still starves. Im looking at changing to a lower PSI EFI pump and reg, but any pressure out of the reg over 5-6 PSI floods the carby.. An EFI set-up is an easy way to fix all the problems, but due to the fact that this engine combo will end up in my motorkhana/khanacross 1600, once perfected, im going to perservere with it..

Saying that,. ive just got my L20B/ Z24 stroker back from the machinist..( thornleigh Cylinder heads) and have spent all day blueprinting the bottom end .. :D :D . The cream part of any project build !!

I plan to have it up and running for the treck up to the NDN09 in warwick.. It'll get a good run-in on the way up.. ;)

Made a treck down to the 'shire' a month or so back, for a bit of trimming with "elite". New hood lining, sunvisors, rear parcel shelf & boot carpet. (nice work BTW scotty ) :good:

Purchased a tan coloured hoodlining from the US . To suit the honey brown paint brown/black trim.

DSC_0008-1.jpg

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Replaced the stocker seats with some recaro's

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Vinyl painted the rear seats. A bit too glossy for me .. but looks neat ..

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Made up a spare wheel and rear Tank covers out of MDF.

100_5590.jpg

I was stoked to see how clean and rust free the windscreen channels were

DSC_0209.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

With the trim looking good, the rest of the paint outside was showing its age. The guards had a few dings and paint missing, bootlid had a heap of high spots, bonnet had a tap in the Left corner, front stone tray had a few dings and the R/H front & rear doors had a bit of crazing coming thru the paint. So i pulled them off the car, paint stripped them , repaired them, primed em, then headed up to Top Kolor for some High fill and a heap of rubbing. Thanks Roy!! .. (i should start paying rent soon ;) )

DSC_0121.jpg

I was really happy with the finish. Must have a shit load of patience for panel / paint work..

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0181.jpg

DSC_0182.jpg

Pulled the carb/turbo set up off ( for the rally car) and installed some 45mm webbers. Changed the cam (72 deg) and installed some barry seton 1 3/4 pipes 4-2-1 into the 2 1/2 system already on the car. Inbetween trips to the paint shop, i took it down to the dyno for a Fine tune. 94 HP @ the wheels. Not bad considering its a low comp bluebird bottom end, with stock V91 head on it.

DSC_0193.jpg

Replaced the stock front end with Bluebird Struts, KYB's, 1600 springs. R31 discs & calipers with new lines and pads. (datsport specials)

DSC_0202.jpg

Replaced the stock 4 spd with a R30 5spd .Modified the rear gearbox x member and it fits in with no mods to the tunnel.. :D , replaced some worn uni's the tailshaft and rear drive shafts. Fitted some R31 rear discs, calipers, lines and new handbrake cables. Installed a 180B booster & 7/8 master & made new lines to a duel circuit dist block.

With only 12 hrs to go till the drive up to Qld for the Nationals, i had to chuck the towel in.. :angry: Id been 4 weeks (after hours) getting it all together. Had the windscreens in, door rubbers on... but had to stop...Damn. Closed the door to the shed and went to bed. I'll get back on it next week. Bolt up the panels, and take it for a well deserved thrash..( to the speed limit ;) )

The car is looking good Mark. Shame about the trip to the nationals though

Thanks for the kind words gents !!

Mark, i got a chance to take video's and pics of everyone at the datnats, and to play a few jokes along the way.... Had a ball all weekend. Was a little jealous of the track day though.. At least it will be ready for the SDC track day in June. :D

Managed to find some inspiration in the last few weeks to finish 'gordo'.... ( the chance to have the last run around oran park got me going !!!)

Installed the front guards, headlights, front apron and fitted some new chrome bits and pieces..

Fitted the gear stick with some new brass bushes from SWR..

Managed to get my hands on some near new toyo 888 semi slicks..& fitted them to a few trusty TRX rims, that i dug up, which could of done with a coat of paint . but hey ... times a ticking .

Drained the tank and filled it up with fuel and bang !!! it runs ....

I trial fitted a cable set up for the up coming FIA combo which will run the 50 mm mikuni's ( solex for baz.!!.) Now back to the linkage for the weekend..

I drove the car to get scrutineered out at emu plains last night ..... :sorcerer: . It went like a boar.. Really happy with the new cam , flywheel, clutch & exhaust set up... awesome midrange for a mild L20B ....

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

Im hoping the couriersplease santa will be delivering some new ' prototype 'struts that Baz & the team @ datsport have been working on for the last few weeks. :yes: ( fingers crossed)

Ive got a few thing to do to finish.. like the new bars, some seat belts, the rear 1100lb springs , install the new struts and some trim bits... going to be a late one tomorrow night !!

Big night at Dural Datsun last night, the Datsport front struts and brakes are now in, along with Baz-spec rear springs. Car is sitting low and firm ready to rock for Oran on Sunday :thumbsup:

10 points to the Datsport crew for getting all the needed bits assembled and shipped in time for Mark's deadline B)

Big night at Dural Datsun last night, the Datsport front struts and brakes are now in, along with Baz-spec rear springs. Car is sitting low and firm ready to rock for Oran on Sunday :thumbsup:

10 points to the Datsport crew for getting all the needed bits assembled and shipped in time for Mark's deadline B)

I'll second that jeff..Thanks for the help .. The "couriers please santa "dropped off the struts in a box from Datsport. All it took was 5 bolts & a brake line & the struts were in :thumbsup:

The old struts were a bluebird set up with R31 calipers & discs... way too much ground clearance for a tarmac muncher !!

The distance between the guard & the centre of the bluebird strut wheel bearing was 512mm as against the new installed R31's @ 385mm. And it has full travel !!

DSC_0317.jpg

Here's the result of the New struts that baz & the team @ Datsport have been working on. Their the latest evolution in the long line of front end struts to put into the 1600.. The secret is in the shocks and the new spring rates.. Ask Baz for the specs, but they can be adjusted from the engine bay with a screwdriver. !! They also feature the 280mm dimpled and cross drilled rotors that set up with the R32 4 spot calipers . The pads datsport supplied that i ran @ oran park are reasonably cheap compared to anything else ive bought...(< $40) Gave them curry all day on the track and not a hint of brake fade.. Thank christ i didnt fork out $200+ for the green stuff pads that i was originally going to buy..

The rear springs were next to change over the lowered & hardened 1600 springs i installed a year or so.. The one's on the right are the 1100lb Datsport units to compliment the rate of front springs in the new struts. the only problem is the rear shocks... Hard to get many alternatives to cope with the new spring rate. I found the old shocks ( KYB excelG's) were not cutting the mustard on the weekend @ oran.. Time to upgrade...

DSC_0320.jpg

Here is a shot all done & dusted... Al ineed to do now is slot the rear x-member for some toe & camber adjustments. Its hard to get traction when you only have half therear tyre tread on the tarmac !

DSC_0324.jpg

Don't forget if you need some extra hands to gimme a call :)

See all the 'cars' in the background of that last pic Iggy? How many extra hands you got? :whistling:

Been to Dural Datsun a couple of times and Mark's always cleaning up ;)

Whilst i was cleaning up the other day Iggy, i dug up some simmons !! 15x 7's with good rubber ....Spent all night with the autosol cleaning em up.

Had to run some 3mm spacers on the front to clear the calipers, and roll the lip on the rear guards.

Fitted the new bars ,rear taillights and relocated the facet fuel pump from the engine bay to under the rear drivers side floor. It was stuggling to draw it all the way up to engine bay.

DSC_0419.jpg

DSC_0421.jpg

And there is no other feeling like being a Datsun driver.... :yes::thumbsup:

FIA01.jpg

FIA04.jpg