• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
fveten

FIA-510 The L series Project.

This is my latest 1600 i bought last month, and thought i'd start a thread on it.

I'll be Sticking with the L series and trying out a few combo's with the parts ive been collecting over the last few years..

Here's a shot the day after i purchased 'Gordo'

800" border=0>

800" border=0>

800" border=0>

You can see it has the 'bankstown racing' springs all round. Damn thing couldnt roll away with all that neg camber...

Was a complete bitch to jack up...

800" border=0>

The car came with a L20B T motor that had a fortune spent on it

800" border=0>

But due to needing a blue slip, ive pulled it out and re-installed the L16 for rego( with SU's , a SSS Cam and extractors).. ..

800" border=0>

Ove the next month or so , i'll be building the Engine for it.

IM002461.JPG.jpg

IM002458.JPG.jpg

Ive sourced a Early FIA Group 2 cylinder head and matching manifold, with 50mm Mikuni's, Big isky cam( .580"lift ), titanium valves + locks, Arias dome top pistons, shot peened /polished rods, knife edged crank, nissan motorsports balancer, aluminium flywheel .. etc etc... should be good for around 230HP at the flywheel...

All that with hubcaps and venetians !!!.

thats cool man,should be a pretty quick L series

looks like an awesome project car. Good to see some people still building up L series donks. How did it go with the L20T?

Sorry guys, haven't posted many pics before.. found image shack..Yae !! ( thanks FLYBY and PSI510....).

DATTO,

with the L20T , it needs to be installed correctly in the next car. when i got it it had a standard mech pump and the wastegate actuator was just hanging by one bolt. Since its a blow thru, im going to fit a intercooler + pipes along with a malpas reg, with a decent electric pump. also been looking at fitting a MSD ignition control ( MSD 6BTM )

http://www.msdignition.com/ignition_7_6462.htm, so i can retard the timing in relation to the boost..

I think i'll have my hands full for the moment with this project, along with helping jeff with the Stroker 'SX-510 The wagon' (jeff's with the EFI, and mine with the 48mm webers )!! That motor will eventually end up in this (FIA-510) project..

Here's some pics of the head and carbs i'll be running..

im002458bn2.th.jpg

im002461xr1.th.jpg

Bring it on Markster!

Looking forward to rebuilding the L's in tandem - should be fun! (but gees it's testing my memory...... )

I'll be moving the crap out of shed 2 and into 3 this weekend - let the L series operating theatre begin!

.... might have to have a few home brews and Turkeys to celebrate the 'official opening'

When can I get that Hitachi dizzy dude? - The S14 CAS is looking for a new home

L series are surely being reborn by the number if enquireys we get.

this is going to be interesting.

BTW the carbs in the pic are solex.

Not too many early FIA heads around.

I had one of those, made a few mods to it.

The early heads were harder material & of course the cast iron bronze bushed cam towers.

Look forward to pics of the head with cover off.

Good eye Baz. I'll post some pics once the ' head & mikuni's' land. Been waiting for the courier to call in !!....Its been hard to find the Early FIA head. Ive found only 3 in the last year or so. One was way too dear.... The other sold.. the other had my name all over it !!!

Ive gone the Early FIA Head for historic purposes. It will end up in a 1970 SSS 510 East african safari rally car (replica) im in the early stages of building..I'll post that once its in primer..

What were the "few Mods" you made?? . Exh valve size reduction ??

Jeff, maybe you can come round to D D again on Friday night for the start up of Gordo, ive got a few dizzys floating around.. I'll make sure get home a little earlier ,this time ....

I removed the complete front end. Replaced everything except for the drag link. All new super-pro bushes, ball joints, tie-rod ends and idler arm. Stripped and painted all the metal in VHT Matt black ( heaps better finish than the bunnings blcak i previously used) for that factory like finish. New Brake & clutch Master cylinder's and slave. Fitted the new springs F & R. Used the near new munroes in the front.. KYB's for the rear. Found some new OEM strut tops on ebay for $50 !!. Painted up the engine, fitted a Daikin excedy clutch ( was only $89 !!), new w-pump, f-pump, oil filter etc.. looking the part now !! Put it all back in the car, fitted up the extractors (thanks jeff !!) and fitted it up with all the new hoses, belts, plugs etc etc.. Stuck some premium in the tank, oil in the SU's and whooshga... Its alive.. Time for rego...

Passed the blue slip with no major hassles. ( only a washer jet issue, but the comp air fixed that.).

Spent a few hours polishing the old Duco.. Cleaned all the chalky crap with Meguires Deep crystal Paint cleaner. Then The deep crystal polish, followed by the high tech yellow wax..

Recommend all these products.. can make a turd look good.!!

Here's some pics ..

1004601re4.th.jpg

1004606xm1.th.jpg

Got the rego !!!!

1004637ux3.th.jpg

1004639oz9.th.jpg

1004640jw3.th.jpg

Now this is all done.. i sold the engine to go into a LHD 510 4 dr 'Movie Car' im currenly helping to put together.. ( more on that in another post)..

So im back to square one again... Time for the L20B turbo..

1004642qm4.th.jpg

1004644xi9.th.jpg

Just got the head and carbs delivered....

Here's some pics.

>

Check out the ports...

>

note. the cast cam towers..

>

And Baz, they are SOLEX by MIkuni.

>

Just sent the head down to Trick & Mansweto racing to have the head

flow tested and the exhaust ported.. Picked up the Arias Pistons and rings,

so now got to look for a L20B short motor from a 200B..

Anyone have on For sale...

Nice work dude

'Pumped'

this and daves 180b are my favourite cars on the forum. keep more pics coming

Thanks for the support ryan.. Ive been looking for the FIA head for a few years now, and it finally showed up in the mail. Its like all my last Xmas's at once...

If only the postie new the $$$ value !!!

It is one of the rarest heads for the L series, next to the LZ twin cam, and the OZGIKEN twin cam.( FJ forerunner). But the later you'll never find... Seen them in a museum (Nissan Eng museum in yokohama), but fat chance in finding one of the 2 twin cam heads...

The Solex's are from the same period, and also have a racing pedigree....

The FIA combo is guaranteed to get the back out !!!

Long live the L series...

Aww, shucks

This FIA project is one of my favourites. I love seeing good L-series datto's, and the FIA head is the pinnacle of L-series single-cam development.

Can't wait to see how it will perform in a street car. I've only ever seen them in rally cars, back in the Group G days.

Aww, shucks

This FIA project is one of my favourites. I love seeing good L-series datto's, and the FIA head is the pinnacle of L-series single-cam development.

Can't wait to see how it will perform in a street car. I've only ever seen them in rally cars, back in the Group G days.

Thanks alot dave .

Im aiming for the Nats next year as well.. hope to have it running in a in a few months...

Im looking forward to the induction roar from the 50's.. N/A is a hard one to beat in that area!!

BTW i have a cooper blower that i purchased a few years ago..., bought the Fact L18 Inj manifold.. but lost interest..found the FIA head... (dropped everything !!)

Mate your committed with the 'B'...Top work on the body..

Patience you have ...Good to see...

Bring on the 2009 nats....!!!

Mark this car looks great. Where did u get this one from.. keep the pics coming.. its a great looking car..

Bought the car from a guy in padstow. Had been sitting in a back yard for a year. Paint work was a little oxidised. But the meguiars polish really worked a treat. thanks for the compliment..

I have the L20B Turbo in it for now untill i get the FIA combo back from the machinists.

When i got the car it was already in it and it ran.. but poorly.

It had a standard f/pump (with no spacer <!-- s:x --><!-- s:x --> ) the wastegate actuator was just hanging there doing sweet F A. It had a 2 1/2 in exhaust, squeezed in to the 2 9/16 th hole in the cross member that rattled when you accelerated. So it removed the x member and cut-out the hole and welded in a piece of 4'' truck pipe in its place.

Ive fitted a new adj wastegate actuator from GCG and modified the arm so it could clear the weber. Along with making up a bracket..

1004725ka1.th.jpg

1004726cu7.th.jpg

" border=0>

After that was done i had to make up a metal line to go across the timing cover for the coolant return from the turbo to the water pump inlet housing. I used an old Dipstick tube. Its enlarged at one end ( 5/8 hose) and 1/2 in at the other end. I stuck a phillips head screw driver in the end to bend it into shape.. It looks reasonable factory.. The old cross over pipe had rusted thru..

1004729xd8.th.jpg

" border=0>

I picked up the feed for the turbo from the thermostat housing.

1004730uu5.th.jpg

" border=0>

I installed the new Facet fuel pump and filter. I installed it under the O/S/Rear seat.

Also fitted a new temp rubber line from the pump to the malpass reg in the engine bay. I'll bend up a larger metal fuel line once its all up n running.

1004734yk0.th.jpg

" border=0>

All i have to do now is wire it up and see how it runs...

are u running a regulator with the electric fuel pump.. how much did the fuel pump cost ?

The Facet Fuel pump cost around $98...

Im running a Malpassi reg...

1004736pg8.th.jpg

" border=0>

Hopefully should have it up n running this week...

are u running a regulator with the electric fuel pump.. how much did the fuel pump cost ?

The Facet Fuel pump cost around $98...

Im running a Malpassi reg...

a>[size=150:1x8sz5o3][b]

Hopefully should have it up n running this week...

When posting pics straight from imageshack, you dont neet to double up on the %7Boption%7D brackets that i have shown.

Just a hint, just copy and paste the link for forums off the imageshack site.

Lookin good otherwise!!

Chris