• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
DeathCab

Stanza Info And Help

Apperently there is quite a difference bwtween early (import) and late (Australian build) Stanzas.

What are they?

Cheers :)

• Like 1

Apperently there is quite a difference bwtween early (import) and late (Australian build) Stanzas.

What are they?

the only changes i've noticed betwwen early and late stanzas are that the early one have round headlights and the late ones have rectangular ones, and there might be the slightest body shape difference but i'm not completely sure

cheers, lachlan

What are they?

the only changes i've noticed betwwen early and late stanzas are that the early one have round headlights and the late ones have rectangular ones, and there might be the slightest body shape difference but i'm not completely sure

cheers, lachlan

As has already been mentioned, the headlights & tail lights differ from early to late models. Bumper bars also differed. The 1980-1983 model had the rectangular headlights, squarer tailights & larger bumpers with rubber ends. The very early jap import model had a banjo diff & the later Aussie model had a BorgWarner diff. Ratios were the same, although the 4 speed had 3.7:1 ratio yet the 5 speed SSS & the auto had 3.9:1 ratio. If I remember correctly there was a differnce between the early Jap import & the later Aussie front brake calipers as well. Mechanically everything else was pretty similar.

Cheers guys.

I was aware of the cosmetic differences but iwas led to believe the Jap imports are better. Better diffs, better rust treatment although they don;t have the good callipers and the Aussie struts are better.

Was is the general belivef on the issue?

By 'better' rust treatment, it's still not great. I think it has something to do with the Datsun badge... In saying that, I've managed to accrue a couple of sets of almost rust-free doors and sundry other panels over the last 10 years so they do exist.

Mine have all been early model Jap ones (2 sedan rally cars & 2 coupes). The H165 diff (Jap diff) has been reasonably hardy - have broken the axles before the centre. Can put in the 4.11 1200 ute centre or the 4.875 vanette centre with ease for better ratios. I have Aussie struts and brakes on the coupe which for the L20 in it which is fine.

Downside with early model is if you stack it, bumpers (non-safety with the rubber bits) are hard to come by, grills also but all the mechanical bits are the same on both.