• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
KellyMcGregor

Kells '71 1600 Wagon

Thought I would post up some pics of my datto wagon.

A little bit of personal history to the wags, Mick (hubby) owned it years ago (before we were together), took it back to bare metal and sprayed it the gold, and sold it in 2002. The guy that bought, had it resprayed after some hack decided to key just about every panel, he also had the interior retrimmed (did have completly original trim, and was in really good condition) trim shop threw out the standard seats, tore off the vinyl on the cards and trimmed over them :wallbash: Whole car was trimmed in white, then sat in his garage for 6 years, never registered it or even finished putting it back together.

Fast forward to 2009, I had been chasing a decent wagon for a couple of years, and had a couple of wanted ads on a few forums and had a pic of Micks old wagon, stating I was chasing that paticular one. I had never actually seen the wagon when Mick owned it, but had a few photos around the house and always loved it. A year later, late one tuesday night, got a phone call from the owner, he had stumbled across my add and called, and we arranged to go down and check it out. And long story short, we picked it up 3 days later :yes:

Got it home, stripped all the interior out, including the entire dash that he had decided to glue black suede too :confused:

Dash came up in perfect condition, luckily, I was able to get all the suede and glue off. Sourced original black wagon trim, and put it back to standard.

Lots of little things that have gone 'missing'or were lost when the last owner moved, and because the car was never put back together completly, there are lots dry.gif

Including the gold simmons Mick had on it (old mate sold them to his mate for a couple of hundred!)

Still have some things to do, and eventually would like to have the standard seats re-pumped and trimmed. But all in good time.

Specs

1971 1600 Wagon

Sprayed in Volvo Safron Gold

Front bar, grill, headlight surrounds, badges all re-chromed

New indicators

Engine

L18

45DCOE side draft

Stanza 5 speed dog leg box

Bluebird Electronic ignition

Interior

Standard 1600 seats & trim

JVC headunit, 6"speakers in front and 6 x9's in the rear

Here are the pics, still have stuff I wanna do, But is a great addition to our datto family! :wub:

IMG_4701.jpg

IMG_4703.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4704.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg

On our way home the night we picked her up

DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1708.jpg

That looks awesome. Must be nice to have tracked down the exact car again. Kinda like finding an old friend.

Best of luck tracking down all the "missing" bits

Good to see Kell! I've been hoping your wagon would surface again - even better that it's resurfaced in your possession!

That looks awsome,

Love the new trim, Black is way better ( my opinion anyway )

Looks great kell glad to see the wagons are making a comeback again. Makes me want to buy mine back again. Cheers nick

Quick Update :)

Scored some new wheels, We have ordered new wheels for Micks 1600, so I claimed the Enkei's :whistling:

We pulled them apart, had the centres sandblasted and powdercoated. Polish all the bolts and rims, and back together and onto the wagon

Even managed to pick up Best Restored 70's at the Classic Jap show a couple of weeks ago :D

IMG_4736.jpg

IMG_4730.jpg

IMG_4731.jpg

dattos.jpg

Our Dattos

very nice kell, i have been trying to track down my first 1600 for about a year or so and i have had no luck finding it. Probably in Datto heaven now. Very nice work on the wagon, looks 100 percent better with the black interior and the Enkei's look tops.

nice work looks great with the new wheels on it.

You mentioned you got the grille rechromed, did they rechrome it or did they just polish it. Whats the quality like, i had mine redone but all they did was polish it as chromer that i used said it wont work?? if so you did get it chromed would you mind sending me the details as im looking at getting the grille and surrounds rechromed.

nice work looks great with the new wheels on it.

You mentioned you got the grille rechromed, did they rechrome it or did they just polish it. Whats the quality like, i had mine redone but all they did was polish it as chromer that i used said it wont work?? if so you did get it chromed would you mind sending me the details as im looking at getting the grille and surrounds rechromed.

Previous owner claimed that it was re-chromed, he had the badges and front bar done - they were definately re done, but as for the grill, unless he managed to pull it all apart (and knowing the bloke, I doubt it), its possible he only had it polished up too, the top and bottom strip of the grill were perfect, but the centre was less than that, so we decided to paint the centre black.

I know that there is a guy up here called Queensland Chrome Plating, thats where we got all the stuff for the sedan redone, the old guy did a fantastic job and was reasonably priced, it has sinced changed hands, so going to suss them out before leaving some of my stuff there.