datnet.org
  • Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
autoshotz

Whiteline Strut Brace

autoshotz    4

Hey Guys,

Can anyone let me know if the below strut brace will clear an S15 or S14 sitting on a Datsport cross member.

Whiteline 1600 Brace

I have spoken to Baz, and there still appears to be a bit of uncertanty. I would like to hear from guys who run my combination (stated above) and have the above strut brace?

Thanks inadvance

i dont have a sr20det in my 1600 but i do have a ca18det i cam across the same problem when i was looking at purchasing one, i couldnt get a straight answer out of anyone either, the only problems i came across was that i couldnt have it sitting the opposite way to what u can see cause the bonnet stand to hold the bonnet up would connect with the strut brace so u wouldnt be able to close the bonnet, and it also rubs between the bonnet supports and the plenum but all ive done is taped some thick rubbed between the plenum and brace to stop the vibrating, also the way that it is currently sitting the hex head bolts that come with it will be facing forward so im guessing that is the way they are meant to be fitted, if u want i can take a couple of measurements so u can do a few measurements of ur own to see what the clearance will be like?

bitumensprints039.jpg

SR20Datsun    0

I'm running S14 SR20DET with home built Datsport DIY front end, and it clears if you face it backward. (quite nicely too I might add)

Got any more questions, PM me.

D A T T O    11

Doesnt fit on mine Scotty. I have an S15 SR in my 1600 with a Datsport kit and the the whiteline strut brace does not clear the engine.

SR20DATSUN i am keen also to know how you fitted yours, i cant get it to fit facing either forward or backwards, doesnt clear the rocker cover ventilation on the back of the engine

autoshotz    4

SR20DATSUN i am keen also to know how you fitted yours, i cant get it to fit facing either forward or backwards, doesnt clear the rocker cover ventilation on the back of the engine

Hey Matt, I maybe wrong but Nik suggested that his cross member is a DIY crossmember, maybe his doesnt hold the engine up as much as ours(datsport)?

The reason I wanted to ask you guys, its a case that if I order the brace, its a special order, and if its deemed not to fit i will be unable to get a refund. There is too much uncertanty for me, i guess I will just move on and not worry about it :)

Thanks guys.

SR20Datsun    0

Hey Matt, I maybe wrong but Nik suggested that his cross member is a DIY crossmember, maybe his doesnt hold the engine up as much as ours(datsport)?

The reason I wanted to ask you guys, its a case that if I order the brace, its a special order, and if its deemed not to fit i will be unable to get a refund. There is too much uncertanty for me, i guess I will just move on and not worry about it :)

Thanks guys.

I think mine is pretty close to the Datsport 200B cross member. I have a mate who has a similar setup, and his motor sits about the same height. The good thing about the whiteline strut brace is you can raise it slightly by undoing the side bolts and just rotating it. I think i've got about 1" clearance, which is plenty.

I think you should be fine. (famous last words...)

Tyrie    1

Has anyone tested these strut braces to see how much reinforcement they provide? They look pretty flimsy to me...

D A T T O    11

yeah scott i am running the same setup as you and its a no go for me. I will have to modify the mounts that go on the the strut tower to raise it up. If you were local mate i would say you could try mine out.