• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
mrnaty

Change To Regulations. Certifications For Modified Vehicles

I spoke to an engineer today and apparently the anticipated changes to the light vehicle certification process (vsb 14) are comming into play as of 30th september.

I was told that the process of getting a modified car engineered will become a whole lot more difficult and costly after the gov. adopts this new legislation. (obviously it also depends on what mods and what car)

The thing is, I'll have to go flat out to finish my car by that time and the cost will be quite a lot in the short space of time as opposed to being spread out over the rest of the year or how ever long it takes..........

Does anyone know more specifically what the changes will actually mean? If I can't get it done in time, am I really going to be stuffed and will it really cost the earth to get engineered/rego'd etc

I've looked at some of the doc. on the gov. website and its huge and hard to tell how its different to whats currently in place unless you were already familiar with it........but all sounded pretty reasonable really............

Anyone know anything about this stuff???

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/index.aspx

• Like 1

Tell us what you really think PSI510- It would only affect you if you had a FJ in a 1600 in a 2 door at home that was not registered right??? O- yeah. sorry.

Looks pretty f'n sweet to me actually. At a glance i read same as before. I.e. any work done needs to pass relevant ADR to that VEHICLE not engine or whatever.

It does say in very large letters and numbers that a datsun 1600 with a turbo conversion uses 2.75 as the original tare weight multiplier as opposed to the old 2.5 which brings availible capacity to 2530cc which means to me that i can now legally stuff an rb25 in my 510!!!

Am i reading this right????

Im googling rb's as we speak.....

MASS OF VEHICLE

Maximum Engine Capacity (refer to notes below)

Naturally Aspirated Turbo/Supercharged

All vehicles originally weighing

less than 800 kg.

Original mass (kg) x 3.0 NA = max. capacity in cc’s

Original mass (kg) x 2.5 Turbo = max. capacity in cc’s

between 800 kg and 1100 kg.

Original mass (kg) x 4.0 NA = max. capacity in cc’s

Original mass (kg) x 2.75 Turbo = max. capacity in cc’s

more than 1100 kg.

Original mass (kg) x 5.0 NA = max. capacity in cc’s

Original mass (kg) x 3.0 Turbo = max. capacity in cc’s

times like this im glad im poverty sticken and can only afford an L series in my 1600.... :rolleyes:

May the force be with all of you.

Ben i know where this is a motor that you wont have these problems with!!!! :thumbsup:

i really cant see what other hoops you are going to have to jump through to get passed. If the car has big brakes, and suitable safety mods like good seat belts, good suspension, what are they going to hammer you on? The normal stuff like noise, emissions etc are of course going to be hard things to get past, i cant see what else they are going to change. If the engine capacity limits havnt been lowered it cant be much different.

thats what i thought i could'nt really see the difference and what these new laws would bring

VSB 14 (national standard for vehicle modification) and VSCCS are two different things, keeping in mind that the VSCCS will replace currect Engineering Scheme the RTA uses, and will use the light vehicle code of practice and possibly VSB 14 as Vehicle standards.

Best keep an eye out on the RTA website for any gazetted changes.

The following information is an extract from the RTA's VSCCS Questions and Answers (February 2011)

General

Why introduce the new VSCCS?

The VSCCS is designed to protect the public and to improve road safety outcomes. The VSCCS ensures that relevant vehicles are assessed appropriately for compliance with the applicable vehicle standards.

Will there be changes to vehicle standards on the introduction of the new scheme?

No, but vehicle standards will continue to be progressively updated over time, as currently occurs. The National Code of Practice for the Construction and Modification of Light Vehicles (published as Vehicle Standards Bulletin number 14) is expected to be adopted by the RTA before the VSCCS commences.

Vehicle owners

Will this scheme prevent me from modifying my vehicle in the way that I want to?

VSCCS only establishes a process for licensing certifiers and identifying when certificates are required. Whether or not a vehicle can be modified depends on the vehicle standards and registration requirements of the RTA. This process will not be affected by the scheme.

Which vehicles will need to obtain a certificate?

Certificates will be required for significantly modified vehicles, imported vehicles and individually constructed vehicles.

What is a significantly modified vehicle?

A significantly modified vehicle is a vehicle that has been modified, or has had components added to or removed from the vehicle, in a manner that:

alters the performance characteristics of the vehicle in a manner not intended by the vehicle’s manufacturer, or

affects the vehicle’s occupant safety systems, or

affects the safe handling of the vehicle, or

is otherwise specified by the RTA in the Government Gazette.

A list will be gazetted of modifications which are not considered significant. A vehicle will not be significantly modified if the modification involved:

replacement of components with identical or equivalent components for the purposes of maintenance or repair, or

fitting of optional parts or components by the vehicle’s manufacturer or the manufacturer’s agent.

Will vehicles modified in the past be affected by the new requirements?

Rules will apply from the date the scheme starts. However there will be a six month period from the start of the Regulation where holders of old certificates not previously presented can present them to the RTA so that previously approved modifications will be recognised under VSCCS as approved modifications.

After that time, vehicles with modifications for which a certificate has not been presented will need to obtain a new certificate issued under the VSCCS.

Where a vehicle has a previously certified modification and undergoes an additional modification, will full VSCCS certification be required?

A new certificate will be required for the new modification, but it will not need to cover the old modification if the two are unrelated.

Will modified vehicles that have been unregistered for a period of time need a new style VSCCS certificate in order to be reregistered or will the old certificate suffice?

Modifications that had been recorded and accepted by the RTA under the Engineering Certification Scheme will continue to be accepted, where the engineering certificate can be produced. If a modification certificate cannot be produced, a new certificate will be required.

Does the modified vehicle have to go back regularly to the certifier?

No, each modification only needs certifying once.

Edited by SSS-078

I'm interested in these bits:

"Will vehicles modified in the past be affected by the new requirements?

Rules will apply from the date the scheme starts. However there will be a six month period from the start of the Regulation where holders of old certificates not previously presented can present them to the RTA so that previously approved modifications will be recognised under VSCCS as approved modifications.

After that time, vehicles with modifications for which a certificate has not been presented will need to obtain a new certificate issued under the VSCCS.

Where a vehicle has a previously certified modification and undergoes an additional modification, will full VSCCS certification be required?

A new certificate will be required for the new modification, but it will not need to cover the old modification if the two are unrelated.

Will modified vehicles that have been unregistered for a period of time need a new style VSCCS certificate in order to be reregistered or will the old certificate suffice?

Modifications that had been recorded and accepted by the RTA under the Engineering Certification Scheme will continue to be accepted, where the engineering certificate can be produced. If a modification certificate cannot be produced, a new certificate will be required."

What do we suppose they mean by "old certificates not previously presented"? Does it mean whether there is a copy of your cert on RTA file? Wonder if we should take our certs in during the "six month period" to be sure?

How I interpret the following exerts are:

"Will vehicles modified in the past be affected by the new requirements?

1) A 6 month transition period will exist, which will allow engineer certificates which have been written but not yet presented. After this six month period, if you still have not presented the engineering certificate, it becomes void and a new certificate under the VSCCS will need to be presented. (no one really gets a certificate done and doesnt register the vehicle, especially after spending 700 or so on a full certificate. So this scenario is just a "what if", and allows a smoother transition)

2) If your car is fully engineered, and registered at the moment, then you decide to modify something else (lets say, bigger wheels or brakes or something), then you will need to get a VSCCS certificate for that new modification only.

Modifications that had been recorded and accepted by the RTA under the Engineering Certification Scheme will continue to be accepted, where the engineering certificate can be produced. If a modification certificate cannot be produced, a new certificate will be required."

3)The third scenario is, if your currently fully engineered datto lapses rego for 3 years , then you go to re-register it. You MUST present the original engineering certificate which covers all your modifications. This old certificate has already been accepted by the RTA and will therefore be accepted again in the future.

But if you have lost your certificate, and can not obtain a copy from the engineer which orginally wrote it, then you must obtain a new certificate under the new scheme.

Edited by SSS-078

soooo the whole scheme and gettin passed is the same, theyre just updating the formal process for gettin engineered.? no new tests or regulations.?

FYI ALL!!!!

I have contacted the RTA VSCCS types about getting my previously certified/registered (in 2001) SR turbo 1600 wagon re registered. They are NOT playing ball. Seems I would have to get a new cert under the new scheme if I chose to re-register with SR in it.

Will be calling them tomorrow - will keep you posted......

FYI ALL!!!!

I have contacted the RTA VSCCS types about getting my previously certified/registered (in 2001) SR turbo 1600 wagon re registered. They are NOT playing ball. Seems I would have to get a new cert under the new scheme if I chose to re-register with SR in it.

how did you go with the cal today J ??

keen to find out what happens, my car was last regoed and engineered 2001 as well. And im not sure if Lakes Automotive is even around anymore?? its no where near ready yet LOL

FYI ALL!!!!

According to the FAQ on the RTA website, the scheme was supposed start the other day (from the 30th Sept 2011) however I don't think this is the case.

Also from the FAQ, which you could pretty much hold them to were the following exerts, which you were concerned about

Will vehicles modified in the past be affected by the new requirements?

Modifications that had been recorded and accepted by the RTA under the Engineering Certification Scheme will continue to be accepted, where the engineering certificate can be produced. If a modification certificate cannot be produced, a new certificate will be required.

Seems somethings going on. A mate just bought a 520 from Vic. It has an L18 in it. It is currently regoed in Vic and has had this motor in it for 22 years. To change the rego to NSW it needs a blue slip, and as the engine is bigger than +15% it needs to be engineered. He apparently rang 5 engineers. 4 of them said they are no longer doing it at all. The 5th said yep ok but will need a brake and chassis strength test ~$thousands at a place in or near Goulburn.

Sounds pretty shit to me.

Can anyone shed light on this or have any ideas on changing the rego over without the engo other than with an original engine?

Have looked at the new list. Appears my engineer who i was talking with isn't on the new list... John from Consulmotive still appears to be. Is that the pick of the bunch? Or have people had dealings with others too?

In Western Syd. Cheers.

Vehicle Safety Compliance Certification Scheme

If you have a non-standard vehicle, it should be inspected by a NSW Government accredited representative, known as a VSCCS licensed certifier.

Vehicles requiring inspection include:

• Individually constructed vehicles (ICVs)
  • Personally imported vehicles

After inspection, if your vehicle complies with legislated vehicle standards, the VSCCS licensed certifier will issue a VSCCS compliance certificate. The licensed certifier will then send the compliance certificate to Roads and Maritime Services (RMS).

VSCCS information brochure

Modifying vehicles

Anyone modifying a vehicle must make sure it complies with legislated vehicle standards.

Under the VSCCS there are no changes to NSW vehicle standards.

Important note:

• You should advise your vehicle insurer of any modifications, because if you don’t it may affect your insurance cover.

Engineering Certification Scheme (ECS) certificates

The VSCCS replaced the Engineering Certification Scheme (ECS) on 19 December 2011.

If you have already submitted your ECS certificate to the (former) RTA or RMS it will not be affected by the VSCCS.

ECS certificates not yet submitted to RMS should be taken to a motor registry by 19 June 2012. From 20 June 2012, if you have not submitted your ECS certificate you will need to get a VSCCS certificate.

More Information

To locate a VSCCS licensed certifier, please refer to the VSCCS Bulletin no. 1.

As new licences are being issued daily, check this bulletin regularly for updates or call 1300 336 206

Questions?

This link provides answers to some common questions about VSCCS.