• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
fly by

SDC
Sydney Datsun Club, Monthly Meeting Venue

40 posts in this topic

Hot topic at the moment, copy and paste from the shoutbox (sorry its a mess):

user_edit.png +Graeme : (16 March 2012 - 09:57 AM) I need the spelling lesson. I meant Cabra. Free venue means lower membership fees. user_edit.png sss910 : (17 March 2012 - 02:00 AM) fair enough user_edit.png +fveten : (18 March 2012 - 07:56 AM) you mean more central for the hand full that live near the shire ? The prospect is a better venue than the cabra by far.. !! user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 02:33 PM) funny you mention that mark, I've had a fair few not from the shire mention to me they don't like the prospect! user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 02:35 PM) it wasn't even someone from the shire that brought it up! user_edit.png US510 : (18 March 2012 - 06:48 PM) Talking off the prospect,cant make it tomorra as its the wifes birthday user_edit.png sutho510 : (18 March 2012 - 07:29 PM) ive never been to a meet since it went to the prospect its to far for me to travel throuhgt the peak hr user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 07:56 PM) and sutho510 your not even from the shire!!! user_edit.png sutho510 : (18 March 2012 - 08:55 PM) nah from the east user_edit.png +Graeme : (19 March 2012 - 10:05 AM) Any suggestions? I've been researching where other similar car club hold meetings. nothing conclusive as yet though. user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:17 PM) Ive heard greyhound club is only $30 a month ... user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:18 PM) I would happily pay that my self considering the drinks prices at the prospect .. $3.90 for a can of soft drink FFS user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM) rant mode off user_edit.png SX-510 : (20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM) I get cheap drinks at Dooleys Waterview next to Silverwater bridge - anyone up for that as a venue if I can get it?http://www.dooleys.c...ng-room-and-bar user_edit.png PSI510 : (20 March 2012 - 10:54 PM) Greyhound social club or Dooleys sounds ok might have to do a cruise to each of them one day to check them out! user_edit.png +Graeme : (21 March 2012 - 09:26 AM) I did look into dooleys, but I think they will be out of our price range. If the price is reasonable it could be a real contender. user_edit.png datilisco : (21 March 2012 - 12:26 PM) How about Dooleys Lidcombe, plenty of parking and cheap drinks, next to train station! user_edit.png LadyDatsin : (21 March 2012 - 05:23 PM) I hav to agree with alot said its not about 1 area agaist another come on i travel 3hrs to attend the meeting it should b about whats more easy and central to the marjority of members, if its about cost of another venue i know there are few members who would put there hand up to contribute some cash towards it myself being 1, cheaper drinks would b good too as im having to pay tolls to get there as well as fuel dear drinks on top don't help! user_edit.png US510 : (21 March 2012 - 07:23 PM) Personally i think the prospect is a great venue,but thats me,maybe a vote at the next meeting

Bit better....

user_edit.png +Graeme : (16 March 2012 - 09:57 AM) I need the spelling lesson. I meant Cabra. Free venue means lower membership fees.

user_edit.pngsss910 : (17 March 2012 - 02:00 AM) fair enough.

user_edit.png +fveten : (18 March 2012 - 07:56 AM) you mean more central for the hand full that live near the shire ? The prospect is a better venue than the cabra by far.. !!

user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 02:33 PM) funny you mention that mark, I've had a fair few not from the shire mention to me they don't like the prospect!

user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 02:35 PM) it wasn't even someone from the shire that brought it up!

user_edit.png US510 : (18 March 2012 - 06:48 PM) Talking off the prospect,cant make it tomorra as its the wifes birthday

user_edit.png sutho510 : (18 March 2012 - 07:29 PM) ive never been to a meet since it went to the prospect its to far for me to travel throuhgt the peak hr

user_edit.png PSI510 : (18 March 2012 - 07:56 PM) and sutho510 your not even from the shire!!!

user_edit.pngsutho510 : (18 March 2012 - 08:55 PM) nah from the east

user_edit.png +Graeme : (19 March 2012 - 10:05 AM) Any suggestions? I've been researching where other similar car club hold meetings. nothing conclusive as yet though.

user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:17 PM) Ive heard greyhound club is only $30 a month ...

user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:18 PM) I would happily pay that my self considering the drinks prices at the prospect .. $3.90 for a can of soft drink FFS

user_edit.png sss910 : (19 March 2012 - 11:19 PM) rant mode off

user_edit.png SX-510 : (20 March 2012 - 09:07 PM) I get cheap drinks at Dooleys Waterview next to Silverwater bridge - anyone up for that as a venue if I can get it?http://www.dooleys.c...ng-room-and-bar

user_edit.png PSI510 : (20 March 2012 - 10:54 PM) Greyhound social club or Dooleys sounds ok might have to do a cruise to each of them one day to check them out!

user_edit.png +Graeme : (21 March 2012 - 09:26 AM) I did look into dooleys, but I think they will be out of our price range. If the price is reasonable it could be a real contender.

user_edit.png datilisco : (21 March 2012 - 12:26 PM) How about Dooleys Lidcombe, plenty of parking and cheap drinks, next to train station!

user_edit.png LadyDatsin : (21 March 2012 - 05:23 PM)I hav to agree with alot said its not about 1 area agaist another come on i travel 3hrs to attend the meeting it should b about whats more easy and central to the marjority of members, if its about cost of another venue i know there are few members who would put there hand up to contribute some cash towards it myself being 1, cheaper drinks would b good too as im having to pay tolls to get there as well as fuel dear drinks on top don't help!

user_edit.png US510 : (21 March 2012 - 07:23 PM) Personally i think the prospect is a great venue,but thats me,maybe a vote at the next meeting

:devil: well it didnt take long cabra is the best for syd datsun i think doolys might be the go but we need to have a good look at it i like a place where i can drive my car to and be safe but far away. cabra's been the place for ten years or more it's were it started so lets be diplomatic it has to be a vote

Greyhound club hosts many car clubs , there has to be a reason for that .... or back to the church in batt st :woot: for a retro club meeting

I will ask at Dooleys Silverwater, its literally across the street from my office :-)

Annual membership is less than 15 bucks and they give you more than that in food and drink vouchers. Membership also gets you good discounts on food and drinks. In typical club fashion membership is completely optional, unless you live close to the club, in which case you must join.

I agree with Graeme that it might be a bit pricey to rent via the official channels, but I will have a chat with some of the staff I know and try to cut a deal. Let's face it - SDC are pretty good at helping the bar sales on a quiet weeknight...

Car park is big, quiet, safe and right outside the function room/front door. Never had a problem there. The club is away from houses and public transport so it doesn't get many people walking past.

Will report back.

yeh greyhound club is prob the best in the long term ive been there for a couple of zclub meets its safe and cheap i realy don't fancy driving to doleys i nknow its on the way but like i said dog club safe and securehas any body been back to golf club to find out exactly wat they are doing iam in cbra to morow i might drop in :woot:

We did the cabra for years. And if you think its safe..think again.. One of our long term members had his car stolen after a club meeting one year.. and hasn't driven there since.

If you are keen for a change , come to the meeting AND RAISE THE ISSUE !!!

Too easy to bang it out on the keyboard, on a FORUM... why not start a FB page for it !!!. FFS.. and winge about prices and tolls etc etc... harden up.. can't please everyone.. hell , why don't we lob round to each members garage and eat pizza.. & (keep it simple )

AGM is next meeting On the 16th april & We as a club, welcome your ideas.. You Might have to leave early !!.. Don't forget the Cabra was a chore to get too, for most anyway.. 55 sets of lights.F&*K that.... There is Many a long term ( and short term member for that matter) that don't even come to a meeting, at the cabra or @ the prospect, & yet like to dictate on details like this...

Im gratefull we have our own room for once & with a Mic !!! Why don't you all come & Try run a meeting ( like @ the cabra) with the pokies , keno & the dogies on the load speaker & TV's, like i have for the last few years & see how you go..

We deserve a room to our selves to carry on about our dato's , enjoy a bevvie with our mates, and get to eat something different than the usual , once a month. Why dont we go to HOOTERS instead.. at least we get to perv at the same time ( if they are worth it !!)

Im keen to see a few of you on here, step up to the plate & help the SDC out instead of ranting ..Come & join the committe & voice your opinion. Maybe organise a run or 2. or help out with the raffle, come up with new ideas, organise a track day, DRIVE THE CLUB CAR>>>> Otherwise HTFU & deal with it.. Life's too short,.. enjoy it in your dato...!

first I've heard about a car being stolen from there?? who was it mark???

i think meeting numbers have been down a bit since the move maybe we should compare the meeting book and see!

i do think that the committee should have a look at other venues and maybe even trial ...and hey we might just end up back at the prospect? but i think for the good of the club we could try others.

Who's car got pinched ? I thought this topic was about looking into a different venue to hold our meetings ? No one has raised an issue towards the commitee or how the meetings are conducted ... as for raising this at the meeting ? we have maybe 20 people turn up now .. im sure we had many more at cabra ,at least on the forum we reach a broader member base and therefore would get a greater scope on members thoughts about the venue .. Maybe a blind vote would sort this out and the people who are worried about being singled out for voicing there opinion would be able to have there say , just a thought

The numbers are down even here on the forum, and the other one as well.. You only have to look through the build section and see how many cars are idle. Life is a bit tough & busy for some people at the moment.

Pete & Ben, ive seen you at the last meeting, & why don't you raise the issue you seem to have with the location. ? Ive never had an email/ committe email, sms or the like , apart from this post about peeps not happy with the prospect as a location. Alot are happy with it.

Ben, your the secretary, why don't you form up a questionaire , run it by the committe, and send it out to all the members and see how that goes. ? We can vote for it and raise it & the AGM..

Q's id like to see asked are

- how many meetings have you been to in the last 2 years

- are you keen to help out with the committee

- are you happy with the the current location

- how long does it take you to get to the monthly meetings

- do you recieve the monthly sms sent out from the sdc

- would you prefer emails

- how many cruises have you been on in the last 2 years

- where would you like to go to on runs to ?

- how many datsuns do you own

- do you drive them often

- are they on club rego

-are you interested in motorsport with your datsun (or nissan)

- what else would you like to do with the club ie go karts, dinners, wine tours , pixxa runs, naval gazing ?

- add your comments about how we could improve the club for you as a member ?

Ben i'm all for another venue, just want to make sure that the whole club has input on the location, rather than just a few...

etc etc..

what do you think gents..

BTW, shane was followed home in his statesman, and the car dissapeared o/night. He never drove a car to a meeting again..

I rememember the night. Shane started the car and flat revved it for a while. I thought it was going to explode. I was still in the carpark when he drove up the street (not very quietly either). He was not being followed at that point.

I suggest someone may have started following him (if at all) somewhere on his way home.

Just a thought.... or am I speculating too far? It is a very long bow to draw to suggest that someone at the club followed him home and stole his HOLDEN!

Back on topic, The Cabramatta Golf Club had been very good to us for some 15+ years. We are still welcome there, but it is a much busier place on a Monday night now.

I'm all for investigating other venues, but as long as it takes and as long as we are welcome, I appreciate that the Prospect is available and happy to have us.

I rememember the night. Shane started the car and flat revved it for a while. I thought it was going to explode. I was still in the carpark when he drove up the street (not very quietly either). He was not being followed at that point.

I suggest someone may have started following him (if at all) somewhere on his way home.

Just a thought.... or am I speculating too far? It is a very long bow to draw to suggest that someone at the club followed him home and stole his HOLDEN!

Back on topic, The Cabramatta Golf Club had been very good to us for some 15+ years. We are still welcome there, but it is a much busier place on a Monday night now.

I'm all for investigating other venues, but as long as it takes and as long as we are welcome, I appreciate that the Prospect is available and happy to have us.

I think the temptation for the simmons was too great.. they were expensive back then..(and still are)

Here is a list of registered clubs .. scroll down to syd region.. Im keen to go for a run in the dato's and look at venues.. could do a 'club crawl' (might take off for the retirees..)

http://www.clubsnsw.com.au/Libraries/eCM_Files/Clubs_City_RegionsFeb12.sflb.ashx

Great to see some guys throwing suggestions in about where to have it and offering to find out some info for the club cheers guys :thumbsup:

i have a few points:

a. Someones car can b followed from ANYWHERE! and if u noticed someone following u go straight to the police with rego! i mean if someone is going to pinch your car they'll do it anywhere. i don't think that has anything to do with venue a bit off topic.

b. The agm isn't here yet and you never know people maybe putting their hand up then to join up to the committee !! don't judge just yet!

c. yes good idea to bring up at the meeting but also good to bring up on here too so those members that may have other commitments on meeting nights can have a voice on club matters too, may even encourage them to come along to a meeting or event. The members need a voice for them!

d. as for pointing out why doesn't anyone put their hand up to drive the club car, most have their own cars to drive hey that's why they joined up & may only get to drive them the once a month etc, i don't feel that saying they should do it benefits the club i think its there to benefit members if they WISH to drive it. but I'm all for asking members to help out with raffles etc maybe point out would anyone like to at the meeting most may think its an allocated job & don't know they can, all u have to do is ask, some may like to be involved in a small way as they may not b able to take on a big roll or task.

e. Some good questions to be raised at a meeting fveten, but are some of them relevant to all members??? dose it matter how many datsuns u own? and is it relevant if members are interested in motorsport? some have restored stockers that like to take them for just a nice cruise this would b only relevant if u r trying to see weather its worth holding or attending such events & the question about how often to u drive them should only b relevant when trying to sort out events etc.

f. just a thought on when choosing a venue have in mind some members have family's they like to bring along and b involved the venue should b as family friendly as it can be!!!

On a personal note your comment on harding up about costs is not a joke!! u do not know people circumstances these people would still like to b involved in the club but don't have big spare funds to do so, its not about harding up i think most in these times feel the pinch, as for harding up i still drive 3hrs to attend the meeting don't think i need to harden up and all your worried about is traffic lights!

and its not about pleasing everyone (u cant) its about pleasing the majority.

as for organising a run or 2 i have brought up events or runs asking if the club would b interested even passed on flyers, but it seems never to be brought up?? how can someone get the ball rolling if its shrugged off.

Great to see a healthy response, there lady datsin..

I'm glad to see you put time into replying, I wanted to reply on some of your points. The club needs all the members input, wether through the general meetings or online like this discussion.

To your point (B) - we'd love to see anyone put their hand up to help out with the club. As you know its totally on a volunterring basis and can take up a bit of your spare time.. So we welcome your interest.

© - yet again, welcome input from here or any other forum, but you can also email or sms most of the committe via the contacts on the website.. This is the first healthy discussion I've seen on here in the past 5 years at least.. So what do you want to add to what I've already listed above ? Here is your chance to be 'heard'

(d) - In regards to the club car , I think you missunderstand what the car is there for. Its not just to be driven around . But on occasion , we have many a member who haven't finished their car or it doesn't run on the day we run our cruises. Therefore its a good opportunity to get that 'datsun difference' again .Also to carry the BBQ , utensils & food.

We ( the sdc) worked hard to secure a $5000 grant from CAMS a few years back .The opportunity was there, so we jumped at it! and we were successfull. The aim of our 'datsun driver development program' was to give members from the SDC, and potential members, a chance to gain access to motorsport events via the club car, in a controlled environment. I know you have your car, as do many other memebrs, but most are not suitable to the conditions that are offered with motorkhana's , Khanacross's & super sprints (not that the old club car is not that competitive on the latter). So I may harp on about the car, but its a great day out in the dirt /tarmac , if you can't use your own car - If you are that way inclined. The offer is there for all. Maybe your kids might like to learn some driving skills before they get their licence. I know a few of us @ the sdc have kids that are'nt quiet old enough yet, but will definately will have a go when their time comes around with age . Which is 12 by the way.

With the raffle. Years ago we gave the job to a few memebrs, but they no longer come to meetings, and haven't for a few years. So if your keen to help out .... we'd appreciate the help.

(e) in regards to the questions I mentioned for the questionnaire, they may not all be relevant to ALL members, But they give us an idea of the everyones different situation. Maybe you could suggest some other questions??? I'm interested in getting to know how to cater events in the future. I think you answered that yourself in the following lines. Im after some information to help organise dyno days, cruises, weekends away, drive-ins nights, historic runs etc.. Some may have a track car, a stocker , a rally car and a late model nissan.. Some may just have one car or not one at all and wish to get one ?? All relevant Q's..

(f) I'm totally aware of peoples family's committments and needs. That why we picked the Prospect. We have our own room. Bar nearby & a bistro, its quiet & you can park your car out front.. but like you mentioned before, Can't please everyone.

I'll give you a run down on how the meetings are operated on a monthly basis. So you have plenty of opportunities to raise anything you want to contribute on the night.

Meeting open/ appologies/ review of last minutes /tres report /sec report / new business ( at the end I usually ask for any more to add) Social sec report/ trade corner / soap box ( add your info here) / round the table discussion (where I hand the mic to all members to have their say ..(have another opportunity here as well) / raffle / meeting close.

Hope that can give you the chance to get the 'ball rolling'. Look forward to more of this discussion at the next meeting.

With all the above and more ..... Watch this space.

SDC AGM...

7.30pm, Monday 16th April 2012

Prospect Hotel

Member- non-member- key board critic- come and say ... .. DATSUN - FARK YEAH

1 person likes this

is the meeting the 16th or 18th?if its the 18th il buy the tight arses a coke.

do the meetings always have to be on a monday or is there a chance of a change which may get more people there.

it's on Monday 16th april !

If Cabra has been good to us, I agree with copdat...just change the day of the week to hold the meeting so we don't get interference from the poker guys, but let the mayority decide!

:yes: the last post says it all lets go back and see if there's time on other day's at cabra and get back there i mean after all the prospect was only three months anyway it seam's like some have decided them selfves and not put it to a vote. going on about b s banter about cars been followed at cabra who's to say it wont happen at prospect it has bit of reputation to.
1 person likes this

Hi all, Great dicussions with heaps of ideas, awsome,

Just a few thoughts from myself, while on the topic,

I think the Prospect is a great venue,Plus Jarrods a top bloke and we get a large room for free usuage with out any interuptions,The food is cheap and really good, Drink prices are the same everywhere these days, except a lot cheaper in an RSL club, But don't know of an RSL club that is central and safe to park our cars where we can sort of see them, If the venue is no good because its not central, Thats right we can't please everyone, But I belive if its the drinks prices the reason we don't want to be at the Prospect, well thats just silly, May be we can speak to Jarrod at our next meeting and ask if we can get a dicount on the drinks,

Also I have noticed that we have had a few kids present at the meetings, Yes I got stuck the Feb meeting and had to bring my daughter, It was great,she loved the big adventure going out to a datto meeting with dad, and gave my wife a break as well, I know they can be loud and disruptive some times, But I think its great if you can bring the kids a long, as the majority of us are older and have been in the SDC for a long time, Most of us have kids now, If they are being loud or naughty, at least you can go sit in the other room, or take them to the play ground

Yes its AGM time next month, Speak up , get envolved, Its not too hard or doesn't take up much time,

We all love the same passion , thats datsuns /Nissans ( cars in general ) and having a great time,

There are some thoughts on changing the day from Monday, Its been this day for ever, If it did change, It might not suit a lot of people as we are used to the Monday meetings, But yes we can vote for it, ( to be fair ) (wish we could vote for our goverement now and not in house )

Also if you want to sell a datsun part, bring it to a meeting and auction it off, at least we wont be fighting each other on ebay to buy it, speak up at the meetings if you won't to sell a part or need a part,

Regarding the club car, A few members have kids that are 12 and older, I belive no teenager have driven the car yet, Why not? I belive all teens should do a motorkhana before they get there L's or P's,( my thoughts anyway ) Thats why we want it out at events, etc, as its for the SDC members and there familys,

Peace out and get the dattos out, :thanks: :thanks:

Changing the night of the meeting to remain at the Cabramatta Golf Club isn't an option, as they hold the poker games Mon, Tues, Wed Thurs and there is some other sort of game night on Friday.

I spoke with them recently and they are appologetic for loosing us, but we are only one night per month.

We are still welcome there, but it is not practical for us.

Keep the debate alive. As a committee, we will look at all suggestions and as a committee we will make a decision.

Thanks for the insight and passion :thanks:

I was recently talking to a QPCD member who said they have 3 different venues for the mettings on a rotating roster so the majority of members get the chance to not have to drive as far etc, taking an idea from that why don't we concider something like this ie. have the Prospect one month & another venue (such as one that one of the members have suggested) the next month, this will be fair to both those who like the prospect find it easy to get & to those who find somewhere else better, it becomes a fair win- win for both sides of the debate!

& if you say it may confuse some we have our texts, emails, on here, the sdc site, sdc facebook and the meetings to keep members informed of which venue is next, we made the switch to prospect venue without drama.

Sounds like a bloody good idea :thanks:

Any news on the above?? Guess we can talk about it tonight,

I hear that the cabra golf club no longer holds poker night ... can we open up this can of worms and look at moving back there