• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
Sign in to follow this  
510BLU

Sr20 Not Running On All Four

Hi all,

I haven't started the car for a little while and had some troubles but finally got it going.

In trying to sort out why it wouldn't start I pulled out the CAS then realised I should have marked it to make sure it went back in the same spot.

I ended up googling installing the CAS back in and all seemed fairly easy.

The beast ended up starting but not running on all four.

I have checked the injectors with a noid light and also the spark and all seem fine.

I thought I may have the CAS in wrong and was wondering if when the motor is set to TDC, should the thinest slot in the plate that spins inside the CAS be lined up with the optical sensor.

I am just wondering if the timing is out due to this not lining up.

Thanks

Eric

Hi Eric,

check with a timing light, to be safe,

Also replace spark plugs , as this happended to me once and I thought it was out of tune, But was just a spark plug as when I changed the plug, SR was running great again,

What happened to me the other day is that the coil pack plug had come loose and the number 4 coilpack was not not firing as a result. It was running like a dog on 3 cylinders. All good now though. Might be worth a quick look.

Thanks Guys,

Very frustrating to find these little gremlins when I am used to a dizzy and some carbies.

I have reset the motor to TDC and lined up the CAS as found on the Silvia site I think it was, anyway good pictures to make sure even I should get it right.

I have checked fuel pressure as hoping it was something simple like the fuel pump not giving the injectors enough pressure but sitting just short of 50 PSI.

I borrowed the coil packs and plugs from my S14 and still no change. I tried the stanza sr coil packs in the S14 and it ran fine. I am still running standard computer but unfortunately the Stanza is the S14A and is different to my daily.

I will have a look at the ignitor and possibly borrow the CAS from the S14 to see if there may be something a bit loose there hopefully.

If not I will work on the brakes and exhaust and get someone with a bit more knowledge to have a look.

Will keep you posted

Thanks again

Eric

How did you test the injectors Eric? Are you sure the one on suspect cylinder is opening and spraying?

I've seen several injectors 'glue' themselves closed when motors have been left to sit. Sometimes plugging on and off a temporary 'test lead' from injector direct to car battery can give some extra volts and amps to crack them open again.

Also as Shawn suggests, try new spark plugs, or at least clean them (they foul easy on repeated cold starts), or even try swapping plugs between cylinders to see if the missing cylinder moves to another.

Thanks Mr S, We have a long week end so will take off the inlet gear and get to the injectors. Someone also mentioned to check the power supply to make sure good connections. I just want to get the beast running so it can be stripped down and over to the panel shop. Got to be ready for Phillip island next year. Cheers Eric

Good news.....it's alive again. I checked the TDC setup, give the injectors a kick and replaced the plugs. Started nearly straight away. Thanks to those for all the help. Bit more fiddling and the exhaust system then get on to the body work. Very keen to get this machine happening as it has been too long sitting around. Cheers and thanks again, Eric

Awsome Eric,

Good to hear the SR is back runing smoothly again,