• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
anth

Anth's 1969 Datsun 1600 Fj20et

355 posts in this topic

it all started out like most young datto heads around my age, when i was reading the "1600 Shootout" issue of fast fours many years ago at the age of 12 years old. i would find myself drawing 510s over and over until i knew every detail off by heart. A few years later i wanted a 1600 for a first car but it didnt happen, then a couple of years later i toyed with the idea of buying one again, then finally a year or two later i bought a bare shell with all parts included. I sold off the shell as i realised i wouldnt be able to undertake such a project, but luckily i kept all the parts (bumpers, trims, lights, etc etc)

fast forward to the present day, ive just sold off my S15 200sx and bought myself a nice clean 69 model + a SSS pulsar daily driver.

melbs1515ek8sold.jpg

Here are some brief stats (shamelessly stolen from the carsales ad):

Engine/Driveline:

FJ20 Turbo conversion rebuilt with forged pistons

5spd manual

Ken Hastings rebuilt tailshaft and half shafts, limited slip diff

3" exhaust

Immobiliser

H/D Clutch

twin thermofans

new clutch master & slave cylinders

Wheels/Tyres:

R31 Skyline 15" Rims with Yokohama 205/50's

Brakes:

Nissan Urvan remote brake resevoir, 7/8" Master Cyl,

Mitsubishi Verada V6 Front Discs with VL Turbo Calipers,

R31 Skyline rear discs & calipers,

certified braided brake hoses front and rear,

new prof. made modified handbrake cables

Suspension:

new balljoints, tie rod ends front & rear wheel bearings,

strut inserts and poly bushes throughout & engine mounts,

front & rear whiteline sway bars, strut mates.

Steering box brace,

Interior:

new roof lining

front buckets (not sure what from, maybe stanza or bluebird?)

Front and rear Klippan seat belts

VDO temp, oil, volt & boost guages, Datcon Tacho

Body:

Re-sprayed white (not sure how recent or if its 2pac or acrylic)

new rubber seals all round

new windscreen

Misc:

Surge tank, 400hp high pressure fuel pump, 650hp lift pump

rear battery box

i have a book full of receipts to go through so i will update as i find out more.

PICS:

3763580bm4.jpg

3763595zt1.jpg

3763604jc1.jpg

3763613ob0.jpg

3763623mf7.jpg

rearbrakeswebor8.jpg

rearswaybarwebvh6.jpg

underbodyweblu4.jpg

Immediate plans:

- general tidy up

- remove those mirrors. i have another set of doors here, and the drivers door has a more suitable mirror (might be original?), so ill put that on and leave the passenger side off for now, then eventually get gt tear drop mirrors.

- lower it down to a nice height

- polish up the wheels that are on it

- fit a pod to get it breathing a bit better

- full service + tune + fit electronic boost controller (have one waiting)

- fit autometer tacho, speedo & boost gauge into custom dash panel (already have gauges)

- white venetian (its a must :p )

- spray under car and inside guards with a durable black paint (its already been stoneguarded and painted white)

- spray the right sections of the grill and headlight surrounds black or maybe charcoal? opinions?

- fit a small stereo (already have most of what i need)

- tighten up the feel of the shifter a bit (any tips?)

Long term plans:

- front mount intercooler and alloy radiator

- new front seats and re-trim interior, nardi steering wheel

- FR17's

"One day" plans:

- respray, coilovers, bigger turbo, better brakes, yadda yadda yadda...

so there we have it. glad to finally have one, glad to see it in the garage, and glad to be back on datnet after a few years of absence.

opinions and/or suggestions?

Thanks for reading,

Anthony ^_^

1 person likes this

maaaate!! thats a super clean FJ 510!!

Looks like you got yourself an awesome car to work with!!

Definitley heaaaaaps of potential.

Seems like the last owner knew exactly what they wanted in the car and how it was going to be there. And it looks like your the same!!

The plans for it sound great :) cant wait to see it lower with some FR17's on it! What colour you have in mind? Gunmetal centres are the go IMHO.

Awesome job mate :D

Chris

thanks for the kind words chris

yep def has lots of potential, thats why i love it, its got most of the hard stuff done, but still has enough left in it for me to enjoy working on it.

FR17s wont be for a while, need to start saving money to invest. but when i eventually do get them it will be a hard choice between silver or gunmetal centers. ill see when the time comes (if thats the hardest decision for that day then it will be a freaken good day!)

aahhh datnet, the one place where i wont be treated like a moron for selling an S15 to buy a datsun haha :lol:

Looks great..

And in regards to selling off the S15, now you've got two cars instead of one :)

thanks mate, yeah its worked out well, S15 has paid for both cars with enough change to transfer the rego's :p

plus the combined insurance on both cars is still cheaper than what i was paying before.

when i steal the gf's camera ill take some better pics of the car, also this weekend im going to sort through my two big boxes of parts and see what ive got to play with, then try to sort everything out. also want to see how good my other bumpers are and decide which ones to use/repair

im going to have a fair bit of parts for sale soon, so stay tuned people :)

thanks mate, yeah its worked out well, S15 has paid for both cars with enough change to transfer the rego's :p

plus the combined insurance on both cars is still cheaper than what i was paying before.

when i steal the gf's camera ill take some better pics of the car, also this weekend im going to sort through my two big boxes of parts and see what ive got to play with, then try to sort everything out. also want to see how good my other bumpers are and decide which ones to use/repair

im going to have a fair bit of parts for sale soon, so stay tuned people :)

Where abouts are you located in melbourne? I'm keen for some parts for my car.

Pity you missed out on the dyno day held last weekend (ozdat).

north-eastern suburbs mate. pm if you want details :)

dyno day would have been good. is there much datto action in melbourne?

car looks nice mate, nice and clean

good to see your other car is good too :p

i also have a SSS and a Datto, good choices :D

north-eastern suburbs mate. pm if you want details :)

dyno day would have been good. is there much datto action in melbourne?

Yeah there's going to be a cruise with the 1200 club coming up, and perhaps a cruise down Eastlink sometime when it's free :D. Alot of us are still putting our cars together, but i'm nearly done! (need an exhaust, and engineers....)

cheers mate. yeah the sss pulsar + datto combo is something ive thought about for a long time. the pulsars have good boot space to carry datto parts :lol:

just been out in the garage for half an hour to sort out my plans for the weekend, found the bumpers from the shell i had and they are in much better condition to the ones i have now.

plans are:

- wash car, polish chromework

- polish/fit other bumpers

- remove ugly mirrors and fit slightly nicer drivers side mirror i have lying around

- polish grill and headlight surrounds and spray details either black or charcoal

- sort out all my spare parts

- remove springs (a mate of mine is going to get them compressed for me on his rdo on monday)

- spray inside the guards black

- give the wheels a bit of a clean/polish and spray the internal sections black (hope that made sense)

this is depending on how things go and how much time i have. im not planning to get it all done but if i do then its a bonus, im not in any rush.

does anyone know the best type of paint to use for inside the guards? Preferably in pressure pack, but if not i have a compressor and gun. Its already been stoneguarded and painted white, i just want to spray it black with something durable. i keep heading about POR15, is that what i should go for?

thanks guys, appreciate the help since i have so many questions

edit: just looked at the K&H range, i think Chassis Black is what i need, POR15 is more for bare metal rust prevention & sealing. what do you guys think?

K&H Chassis Black

does anyone know the best type of paint to use for inside the guards? Preferably in pressure pack, but if not i have a compressor and gun. Its already been stoneguarded and painted white, i just want to spray it black with something durable. i keep heading about POR15, is that what i should go for?

thanks guys, appreciate the help since i have so many questions

edit: just looked at the K&H range, i think Chassis Black is what i need, POR15 is more for bare metal rust prevention & sealing. what do you guys think?

K&H Chassis Black

You want something durable, that will resist chips, yet retain a good cover on the already stoneguarded guards?

K&H Chassis Black is the go! I used it on all my rear crossmembers, arms, and diff etc. etc. Doesnt chip, doesnt scratch too easily either.

Just make sure the surface your painting is nice and clean and free of oil, dust, and grime.

If you want another durable coating, but more heavy duty, you can use underbody Schutz. Its more like a stoneguard.. but its a little bit more lightweight.

I used it on the whole underside of mine, plus the back of the panels and wheel arches etc. etc.

Chris

thanks for the info, i think chassis black is what i will go for.

so today i managed to organise my garage a bit more, but i didnt get to the datto parts cos i was itching to work on the car.

took the bumpers off and cleaned up the "better" ones, but when i put them on the car they dont fit on properly, so i kept taking them on and off while trying to bend the threads on the back of the bars to align them a bit. gave up after a while cos it was getting late. ill try again tomorrow but im leaning towards just leaving the original ones on cos they fit properly, then just get them re-chromed in the future, not sure.

does anyone have any advice for aligning bumpers? i dont want to bend the actual mounts that bolt to the car because then the other bumpers wont fit if i decide to swap them. i would rather play around with the bumpers themselves so they all fit the same mounts.

took my grill and headlight surrounds off, gave them a polish, masked them up, then hit them with some metallic gunmetal. came up nice but i realised im missing the top bar of my grill, need to find a new one.

i took heaps of photos but i just realised i dont have the cord to connect it to the computer. gf put her ipod cord in the box instead of the camera cord :rolleyes:

im aiming to have the springs out tomorrow morning and then maybe get back onto the bumpers in the afternoon if i can be bothered.

not too sure how much to compress the springs, having a bit of a dilemma, but i need pics to show what i want to do. basically there is a big gap between the top of the front tyre and the guard, needs to come down like 2" to look good, but then the back will need to be brought down by 3" to sit even because at the moment the front of the car is 1" higher than the rear (measured from each end of the sills to the ground)

haha decisions decisions.... :lol:

more tomorrow...

had a brain wave, put gfs memory card into my camera, so heres some pics :)

first some better ones of the car

post-108-1214652187_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652201_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652220_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652244_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652252_thumb.jpg

messy shelves

post-108-1214652405_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652412_thumb.jpg

amazing what you find when you clean up!!

1600 workshop manual (came in handy)

post-108-1214652590_thumb.jpg

snap-on option2 gloves from japan

post-108-1214652597_thumb.jpg

ca18DET afm that i forgot i had

post-108-1214652603_thumb.jpg

much better:

post-108-1214652714_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214652727_thumb.jpg

here are the gauges im planning to use in the future:

post-108-1214652782_thumb.jpg

ok now onto the bumpers, here are the ones that came with the car

post-108-1214653298_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214653309_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214653350_thumb.jpg

and here are the ones that i had in storage

post-108-1214653399_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214653411_thumb.jpg

after a bit of a polish and the front one came up great (too bad i cant get the damn thing on!)

post-108-1214653498_thumb.jpg

now for the grill, see how im missing the top bar on the center grill. it ruined my plans of how i wanted to paint/mask. because i dont have that bar i couldnt run a polished border on the headlight surrounds cos it wouldnt flow. so i just left the two larger center peices as metal and painted the rest, then for the headlight surrounds i just left the rings and painted the rest. the pics will show what im talking about

removed from the car

post-108-1214653972_thumb.jpg

badges off, might restore them later on down the track

post-108-1214654003_thumb.jpg

quick polish (left) vs untouched

post-108-1214654030_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214654040_thumb.jpg

masked up ready for painting

post-108-1214654062_thumb.jpg

this is the paint im using, its called "cast alloy"

post-108-1214654082_thumb.jpg

finished product after a few coats of clear

post-108-1214654261_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214654269_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214654277_thumb.jpg

ill see how it looks on the car, then i later on when i get a new grill i might do a different scheme

these two boxes are full of datto parts that i have to sort through (can also see my fitting kit sitting on top)

post-108-1214654675_thumb.jpg

now as for the ride height, what do you guys think i should do?

FRONT:

post-108-1214654820_thumb.jpg

post-108-1214654839_thumb.jpg

REAR:

post-108-1214654865_thumb.jpg

2" all round seems good to me but then the front/rear rake will still be 1" lower at the front.

i have been thinking about taking the springs out completely, putting the struts back in & wheels back on, put the car back on the ground and then see how much travel i have to play with, and jack the car up to my desired height and measure it from there, that should give me my answer. good idea/bad idea???

car is getting to look good, goes to show how far a bit of polishing goes. Does the car have much rust?

nice progress!

I might have that missing bit of grill you need! I will check in the morning for you! I have a complete grill or two here.. not sure if they are the same as yours.. i will scope them in the morning.

Drop the back down 2" and the front 1". Should be plenty, still keeping good strut travel :)

car is getting to look good, goes to show how far a bit of polishing goes. Does the car have much rust?

thanks mate. hardly any rust to my knowledge. apparently the car was bare-metal resprayed by the owner before the previous owner. sills are perfect and rear quarters too. only rust i can see is a couple of little bubbles on the bottom of he front guards.

nice progress!

I might have that missing bit of grill you need! I will check in the morning for you! I have a complete grill or two here.. not sure if they are the same as yours.. i will scope them in the morning.

Drop the back down 2" and the front 1". Should be plenty, still keeping good strut travel :)

yeah let us know what grills you have mate. i think i have one in my stash of parts that im yet to get to, but i think it has a few dents in it.

as for the height, i think dropping it on no springs and then adjusting via jacks to measure is the best way. the front struts are already back in without the springs, just gotta finish off the back next weekend, then i can break out the measuring tape.

before i put it up on stands i took it for a quick blast around the block, put a big smile on my face :D

I cant wait to get that smile when i drive mine.... :D lol

This is the only grill ive got thats spare.

Let me know if its what your after.

img2957800bk7.jpg

found a pic of the car on the Nissco site...

image_004.jpg

might as well give a bit of an update while im here.

took the springs out and got them compressed. went for 1.25" front and 1.75" rear.

bought gt teardrop mirrors and a white venetian, they should arrive next week sometime, and also got some stickers from martin.

ill update properly next weekend :)

another small update. put my springs back in, rear is about 10mm lower than i wanted but i think that might be a result of the extra camber, and front is too high due to a misunderstanding with the people at the spring shop. so now i have to take the front springs out again and get them re-done (cbf!) :lazy: Might do them this weekend if i can be assed

venetian is in, need to get some pics up

anyways, found these rims for sale. at first i thought they were butt ugly, but the more i look at them the more i like them. i dont know why, but they're appealing to me. they're 17x7's. I think they have an old school look but in a larger size. they're not asking much for them and i think they wouldnt look too bad on a white datto at a nice ride height. obviously there are much nicer wheels out there, but i cant explain it, i just think they'd look "cool"

what do you guys think? would love to hear some opinions! please let me know if ive lost the plot...

indexmt5.jpg

while we're on the subject of wheels, my other plan was to wait and get a set of 17" Lenso RS-5's in gunmetal...

RS5_GM_200x200.jpg