Sign in to follow this  
FLI-20Y

Datsun 120y Ca18det

I thought I would put some details up of my Datsun 120Y.

When I first bought it, it had a stock CA18det, stock ECU, 5 speed manual, R31 LSD diff with leather interior and the usual surge tank & pump setup. I had another engine that I pulled out of my Bluebird TRX S3 sitting aside, so I pulled the stock CA18det out and put my engine in, which had the following specs:

-Arias forged pistons

-ARP head studs

-Cometic head gasket

-Stainless low mount manifold

-Garrett GT2871R (welded wastegate flapper)

-Tial 38mm wastegate

-Microtech LT10s

That engine made 308rwhp (228rwkw) on 20psi with the manual in the Bluebird, but I wanted to go auto so I sold the 5 speed and had a 3 speed Jatco built and used the S3 Bluebird bellhousing, directly mating the box to the CA18det. The box is reverse pattern, transbraked with a full manual valve body.

I also sold the GT2871R and bought a GT3071R, and had a steampipe high mount manifold made to suit. Also stepped up to a Tial 44mm wastegate.

First day owning the car.

datto_firstday.jpg

Fitted some V4 simmons from my Bluebird

dattowithsimmons.jpg

GT3071R mounted on the steampipe manifold.

dattowithgt3071r.jpg

Engine Bay complete.

enginebay.jpg

12.6 @ 110mph with the stock motor + 5 speed manual

wsid_070718_022b.jpg

The Auto was matched to the CA18det, and the converter was a little low, so it struggles to come on boost and is a little laggy. I raced the car like this and it ran 12.6 with no boost off the line. So the solution was either converter or nitrous, so I took the nitrous option :D

The nitrous was fitted (50 shot) and wired up the the Eboost, and it was set up to cut the nitrous at 15psi, and the engine should then have enough boost and load to push to 20psi or whatever the boost was set at (usually 22psi). I then went straight to Powercruise 12 and spent 4 days sideways around Eastern Creek and revving the car to 7000rpm in the Powerskid comp, and not a problem in the world, didn't miss a beat. The gas helped the turbo come on straight away and I barely had time to shift gears with the auto, especially with the 14" stockies on the back. Also fitted some Centreline Convo Pros on the front.

I then took the car to WSID to test the gas on the track, and ended up running 11.92 @ 114mph, but then the engine let go over the line. So, after much thought of what I want to do, I have decided to build another engine, this time a semi serious setup. Mind you, the above combo lasted 4 years with violent RPM all day everyday, so I was more than happy with the life span it had! So, the new specs are:

-40 thou Wiseco pistons.

-RPM I-Beam rods.

-ARP rod bolts.

-ARP main studs.

-ARP head studs.

-ACL Race bearings.

-Tomei Procams 260 Duration/8.8mm Lift.

-Tomei adjustable cam gears.

-Tomei valve springs.

-Mild porting (more smoothing ports) on the head.

-Port matched inlet/exhaust manifolds.

-Garrett GT3076R Turbo.

-Tial 44mm Wastegate.

The bottom end will be built in about 2 weeks, just waiting for a few cranks to be crack tested.

I have entered Supernats (November @ WSID) and Summernats this year (January), so car will hopefully be running again in September/October.

Engine being built be Dominator Engines in Guildford.

All videos of the Bluebird & 120Y can be found here: ******YOUTUBE LINK******

Thats really all I can think of right now....I will have many more pictures of the new build in the next few weeks.

11.92 @ 114mph

wsidtestandtune120408_146.JPG

Powercruise 12

IE0U3202@EC-29-2-08-PC-c.JPG

Powercruise 12

IMG_3679.JPG

Powercruise 12

IMG_7200.JPG

Powercruise 12

IMG_7185.JPG

Melted Pistons

meltedpiston_1.jpg

Melted Pistons

meltedpiston_4.jpg

this is a sweet car my mate with his green torana was in your pit love how neat of a job you have done keep up the good work

looks awesome man. Did you buy this from cronulla a few years ago?

Thanks for the kind words, I bought the car from the Sutherland area.

congrats on the 11.3 at supernats , car will hit the tens easy . Good luck gotta a love a tough 120Y especiallly CA powered .

Nick

:o

congrats on the 11.3 at supernats , car will hit the tens easy . Good luck gotta a love a tough 120Y especiallly CA powered .

Nick

pm sent

Hey,

I know someone who had a engine built at Dominator engines and they were more than happy with the job that was done. Anyway nice set up with the nos & turbo system. I bet you this car would wapool hard!!

You took my brother for a run in this rig in Lithgow a couple of weeks back,and I think you instantly converted him from a Corolla man into another Datto nut :D Weapon

Nick

Thanks....sorry haven't been on this thread for a while, and I just noticed your ute in your avatar, I saw this a little while ago (maybe a month or so?) coz I live in Greystanes too! When I heard your ute I was proud to hear another laggy CA18 auto in the area :D

You took my brother for a run in this rig in Lithgow a couple of weeks back,and I think you instantly converted him from a Corolla man into another Datto nut biggrin.gif Weapon

Haha, yeah real good bloke too. I think he was enjoying it until it stepped out onto the other side of the road in top gear :D

I should have updated this thread, here is a photo with the new turbo fitted:

new_1.jpg

new_4.jpg

Car has run 11.34 @ 119mph @ Supernats 2008, and the car is currently having a few read end mods done, and it should be back @ WSID with more nitrous to crack a 10, hopefully by the end of July.

Have been giving it more hell too :D

SUMMERNATS22DAY01_227.jpg

SUMMERNATS22DAY04_205.jpg

cruising_341.jpg

IMG_8758.jpg

OK Update.

Slapper bars are now fitted to the car, racing next week (19th of August).

Took the car to Castle Hill Exhaust for a tune this morning, turned up making 308rwhp on 25psi, ended up leaving making 324rwhp @ 23psi Very happy, car is a weapon up top now. The gas is also programmed to turn off @ 20psi and it holds 20psi till you let the transbrake button go, cannot wait to race on Wednesday!

Any results from last night?

Yeah c'mon cough up!!!

Nice work!

The launches got much better in the later runs.

How many RPM are you pulling? sounds like lots :devil:

Nice work!

The launches got much better in the later runs.

How many RPM are you pulling? sounds like lots :devil:

Shift @ 7000rpm, limiter @ 7500rpm :devil:

Nice times there Mick car seems to leave nice and straight bring on the TENS!!!

Long time since updating but I have just finished putting the gearbox back in the car, now fitted with a higher stall converter. Also fitted a 5 point harness and will be racing the car at the 25th of July Test and Tune. Hopefully a 10 second pass is in the bag :thumbsup: