• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
datsunfreak

Fitting A 1600 Rear Suspension In A 1200 Coupe?

Anyone tried it? Seriously considering it and was curious if I'm in uncharted territory here...

There is a guy in my are that has independent rear in a 120y that he done all himself. looks quiet good :mellow:

Did he use 1600 bits? Any photos?

no sure exacually mate ive only seen the bloke around a couple of times .Sorry

it wouldn't be easy, considering going from live axle leaf suspension to spring IRS, you may as well use an S13 setup or similar to gain the advantages of CV shafts, better suspension geometry, better diff selection etc etc, as the custom work required would be no less for the S13 setup than the 1600 rear end, just a suggestion, and no, never seen it done before, have heard of a 1600 wagon with S13 rear end

Yes I think Graeme's 510 wagon is the best (and one of the only) examples of solid to IRS.

The problem is the structural mounting points are all different. I can be done, but as already suggested, alot of work and not to mention easy to get wrong (and you may not find out until you drive it).

Yes I think Graeme's 510 wagon is the best (and one of the only) examples of solid to IRS.

The problem is the structural mounting points are all different. I can be done, but as already suggested, alot of work and not to mention easy to get wrong (and you may not find out until you drive it).

The s13/14/15 type IRS would be way better than the 1600 set up. As jon said, mounting points would be easier and I suspect the S13 could be lighter than the 1600.

I looked into fitting the S13 IRS into a 1200 wagon and I think it would be possible, although difficult and time consuming. In such a light car as a 1200, there probably would be a great benefit.

Have a look at Chris Shoesmiths 1200 sedan for a brilliant rear axle set up.

The s13/14/15 type IRS would be way better than the 1600 set up.

I have a complete S13 rear suspension we will look at as well.

Have a look at Chris Shoesmiths 1200 sedan for a brilliant rear axle set up.

Any idea of a website with a lot of info on it?

FWIW, the car already has a very nice live axle set-up on it, I just really want to be able to dial in the rear alignment easier. We took a good look at it today, and the 1600 stuff is going to be a lot tougher than initially thought. The big problem is the frame rails on the Coupe are in a very bad spot and I'd prefer not to arse about with moving them if at all possible. Next weekend I will get it up in the air as high as I can and remove the rear suspension to get a better idea of what might fit best, or whether it's just a completely dumb idea. ^_^

if you were going to the effort to do it, dont bother with the inferior 1600 IRS compared to newer stuff out there

if you were going to the effort to do it, dont bother with the inferior 1600 IRS compared to newer stuff out there

While I agree it is inferior to many newer designs, the 1600 was mainly chosen because it won't require narrowing the track width, and it is very simple in design.

Also, I have a 4.11 LSD diff for the 1600. ;)

Anyone tried it? Seriously considering it and was curious if I'm in uncharted territory here...

Not sure how far you have got on this project but there is a yellow 1200 coupe in our club owned by Graham Loader which has an IRS 1600 rear end in it. The car was built about 20 years ago and still has no problems, it's a rally car so has had a hard life also.

email

contact@nissandatsuncarclubsa.com

if you need info.

Not sure how far you have got on this project but there is a yellow 1200 coupe in our club owned by Graham Loader which has an IRS 1600 rear end in it.

So far, I've gotten nowhere on it. :lol:

It looks like an absolute beatdown to fit. And I have other priorities right now. I am still keen to give it a bash though, so I will email him straight away. Thanks!

there is a yellow 1200 coupe in our club owned by Graham Loader which has an IRS 1600 rear end in it.

Emailed back and forth with Graham a few times this week, and it looks like a workable proposition if I do it the way he did it. B)

Took some measurements today, and it looks good. We will dig a bit deeper next weekend. ;)

Just to update a tired old thread... :tongue:

Conversations with Graham about his 1200 rallye car proved fruitful and I'm about halfway through replicating his set-up, albeit with some slight modifications to allow a lower ride height. :thumbsup:

I'll post some pics in a week or two once it's all mocked up in the car.

Need pics of the suspension ;)

Better pics to come when it's done. This is where I'm at now.

crapamoly_009.JPG

Need to finish the front mounts for the crossmember, sort out how to fit up the springs (should be miminal fuss) and sort out how to mount some shocks (that's the biggest question mark right now). :sweat:

Oddly, the 1600 spring pockets line up perfectly with the 1200 frame rails. Need to make an upper spring mount on the frame rail and we should be good. :thumbsup:

I don't fancy the way he did the shocks, but he needed lots of suspension travel (rally car) and I don't. Mine will likely be done more like the GC10 Skyline set-up:

GABs016.jpg

Wow. How did Graeme do the top spring seats?

Looks like he welded up some extra metal onto the surface of the stock frame rail. And then welded up some more. And then a bit more metal for good measure.

:teehee:

I don't think that is quite necessary. But again, he was building a rallye car. I am not. :thumbsup: