• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

Datsuns On The Street

44 posts in this topic

Thought I might revive this old thread now that we have a few new members on here. Has anyone got any new comments to add??

Mr. X: "Is it for sale?"

Me: "Not really, but if you'll give me (roughly converted) AUS$30.000 for it, I'll build a better one for AUS$18.000."

Note: AUS$30.000 is about what I have spent, taking into account things that had to be re-done due to lack of experience and knowledge.

My old geography teacher (who was a mates dad too) said to me when i lobbed up at school in my first 1600, 'BOUGHT 1 OF THEM NEW IN '72 FOR $2471. IT WAS GREEN. WISH I STILL HAD IT". Then a few other comments like 'YOU'LL LEARN A BIT IN THAT THING, MOSTLY OFF SEALED SURFACES', as he gave a sly wink and wandered off. He was right. I'm sure he knew who carved up the school oval shortly after that.

One day i was driving up Katoomba main and spotted a sweet '67 Mustang headin the other way. I was busy checkin it out,then noticed the driver givin me the thumbs up. It seems the dude in the show car was impressed by my mud covered Datto :D

my uncle who,s not that much older than me, is a ford man , and is doing up a nice old XP 2 door, still after twenty years says shit like, can i borrow your engine, as i need a new starter motor for his V8's.

no one likes a smart arse.

A while back I was towing a tandem trailer with my 120Y sedan and a Bayswater Yobbo screamed from his car 'You can't tow that, you're a dickhead!'. As if I was clearly not towing it already...

I have also had it argued to me that my 120Y Panel van is in fact a Corolla Panel Van as Datsun did not produce a 120Y Panel Van. 2 thumbs up to that Nobhead.

Way back in the 90's when i first bought the bluebird .. i went along to small car sunday , a guy looked over the car scratched his head and asked how hard was it to cut the pillars and fit the scorpion rear window !!! my reply ..... it took a while mate :rofl:

After work the other night dropped a mate off at Manly about 2 in the morning main drag stopped at zebra crossing when 4 cops walked past.

Thought fu%$k here we go when one turned started looking at the beast then grinned and starting nodding like he knows what its all about.

About 5years ago when I picked up my FJ from liverpool had it in the box trailer. This guy next to us in traffic gave us the thumbs up on the cumberland Hwy then while we were driving along he kept looking at the engine and bang!!! ran straight up the ass of the car in front!!! :shok: :rofl:

"Nice Torana mate", on two separate occasions (Datsun 1200 Coupe)... :-)

Yeah thanks mate, its an A9X!

About 5years ago when I picked up my FJ from liverpool had it in the box trailer. This guy next to us in traffic gave us the thumbs up on the cumberland Hwy then while we were driving along he kept looking at the engine and bang!!! ran straight up the ass of the car in front!!! :shok: :rofl:

Mate thats priceless that story!

All i used to get was the "go the datto"

I can relate to your story IMA42C - In the first few months of driving green SX-510 mk1 (now known as FIVE10), I was cruising down Broadway just past Sydney Uni, when a whole car load of guys and girls (inc driver) were ogling the Datto from the lane beside, when suddenly - BANG! straight up the date of the car in front of them...

I still feel a bit bad about it.....

I also once had Peter Brock walk up to the green one at the Bathurst 2L Super Tourers and say to me "gees this thing must go alright" to which I obviously replied "you can have a go if you want"

I've gotta post one up for Graeme. Can't remember if I was actually present or not, but I've heard it so many times now, I may as well have been...

Graeme used to have a really low 180B with MASSIVE neg camber on the rear. Dude walks up to Graeme while filling up at a servo, takes a good look at both sides of the B (with thumbs in his jeans pockets and tilting his head side to side for level) and says "mate, your wheel bearings are SHOT!" hahaha....

I got breath tested recently at a breath testing station, my Datsun 1600 was just fully engineered. Officer breath tested me, and as I was about to go, he said "WAIT! WAIT!". I thought, crap, these guys are going to defect me or something. Another copper comes running over, and starts to say, "what have you got in it, one of my mates had one of these with an FJ, and what do you do with it?" At the end they both said "Now you behave yourself" Was pretty funny having two coppers around 25-30ish saying to me "behave yourself". All the other cars behind me were finished breath testing and waiting for these coppers to let me go. Was pretty funny.

I was driving home another night and it was PISSING down with rain. I was going down the western ring, and this BMW kept following me and pulling along side me. I kept thinking he wanted to drag, so I left in a hurry. Western ring then changes to a 90 zone and I slow down, it's still raining, and the passenger in the beemer winds down the window and the driver says "HWHWHH DO YA WNN", I say "WHAT!?", He says "HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT", I say "It's not for sale!" He says something like "Cleanest car I've ever seen", Both passenger and driver give me two thumbs up, and he drives off.

Recently I was stuck in traffic in the datto, and was at a rail crossing. A Japanese guy dressed in a suit, about my age (late 20's early 30's perhaps) with one of his mates is in a Late model black Mercedes AMG63 coupe. Blooody nice car 8) . He's on the left hand side and i'm on the right of a two lane road waiting for this bloody train to go past. He winds down his window and says "HOW FAST?" I couldn't hear him properly due to the window being up on the passenger side and the bloody bosch 044 chattering away, and I had the harnesses on. So I take the harness off, wind down the window, and he says again "how fast?". Not quite sure what he means, I say "I reckon you'd beat me". He laughs and his mate laughs, and he says "I don't think so". The traffic started moving, and luckily there were cars everywhere so we couldn't find out how much of an arse whopping the AMG would've given me... :D

people make hand signals about my negative camber all the times is quite amusing typical lowered 180b camber in like all buggery

also got close to gettin booked at easter smokin it up look up 3 cops cars, where pretty cool asked me to open bonnet as it didnt sound like a datto

I think he just wanted a look

good stories guys,

im still building my 1200 ute in my work shed and i must get at least 1 random a day walk past come in and tell me how crap project cars are and they never turn out how you want

also had one clown walk in and look in my engine bay and go ahhhh 13bt nice choice mate i laughed and just went yeah mate, considering its still the standard motor lol

but then you get the nice guys "used to have one" these cars rock" etc...

cant wait to get it on the road now

This threads to good to let die.

I was in the back off a mates 1600 a while back on a Friday night. We stopped at an ATM and there where 3 guys all lookin at the car (it is quite nice) when one pipes up "shit box, mine runs 8's" "go get it then" f@#kin bogans. Mate's Datto should be an 11 second car with a shot of gas up it.

Can't wait to get my C210 coupe on the road, chasing parts for it at all the usual places mostly ends with "doesn't exist"

Cheers Dan

I get the typical...

"nice car"

"whats in it?"

"I used to have one of those"

but more often I get...

"low enough?"

"thats bloody low!"

"how do you drive that thing?"

"you should lower that!" (sarcastic)

but I actually enjoy the looks on peoples faces and the thumbs up much more than what people say. Just having someone nudge their friend and wildly point at the car is a great feeling