• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
Sign in to follow this  
Al71

What bottom end modifications for supercharged L-series

Are any bottom end mods needed other than pistons when supercharging an L18 or L20?

Running 10psi

How about nitriding the crank and polishing / shotpeening the rods ? Do people even do nitriding nowadays ?? (It was all the rage last time I built a performance L18 many years ago, but you don't hear much about it these days)

Or is that over the top ?

And what does "good assembly" entail ? - Getting clearances spot on, balancing everything, anything else ??

Sorry to jump into your thread with more questions than answers, but I'm heading down the same path.

How about nitriding the crank and polishing / shotpeening the rods ? Do people even do nitriding nowadays ?? (It was all the rage last time I built a performance L18 many years ago, but you don't hear much about it these days)

Or is that over the top ?

And what does "good assembly" entail ? - Getting clearances spot on, balancing everything, anything else ??

Sorry to jump into your thread with more questions than answers, but I'm heading down the same path.

Stuff nitriding, got my share of that years ago with mini coopers.

Dave,

good assy means just the basic stuff, cleanliness, correct clearances, free motor, good valve geometry.

One thing i never miss out doing on all L20bs is to check the crank for straightness.

Performance motors are a different thing, you can make NEAR the same power with a cheap engine compared to an expensive one.

except for the cyl head & valve train,

It comes down to reliabilty & cost of insurance, ie crack testing,stress relieving,forged or billet components,tri metal valves etc.

Thanks Baz - much appreciated.

One day I'll actually get around to building it