• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
autoshotz

Project 510 - 1972 Datsun 1600, SR20DET Conversion

313 posts in this topic

awesome build - you've given me enough inspiration to go and find a project for myself now - one question - where did you get the Milspec plug from - I can see these as being very handy for quick engine disconnection & removal!

Guys,

Sorry for the lack of updates, but basically I have been enjoying the 1600 whilst its on the road, I have been to a couple of sprints and loved the car. Handles great with some impressive power. I have arranged a free minor items that required attention, for example the Brake pads were found out on a very hot a humid day during 4 sprint sessions(7 Hot Laps). Had Baz had known that I was gonna be a dick and track the car this quick he would of recommended a different set of pads. I was having enormous brake fading due to the very high temps of the front brakes, I also take a bit of responsiblity cause I did not set the rear bias correctly and whilst the fronts were working their asses off, the back brakes were on a holiday :)

We have decided to trial (an expensive trial) a set of Project MU HC+ pads, these are a carbon metal compond resistant up to 800 degrees. I have only just installed the fronts (in the process of bedding) and must warn these pads are F"ing loud. We hope that once Bedded they may calm down abit, but from all reports so far, they only time that they are quite is when the car is in Park or doing 200kph braking for a hard right hander :). I can live with the noise, knowing that they will still be operating on the last lap.

Now on to the more interesting stuff, well the seats are in, take a look:

IMG_7237.jpg

IMG_7240.jpg

IMG_7241.jpg

IMG_7243.jpg

IMG_7246.jpg

IMG_7249.jpg

These are "Sparco Sprint V's" on sparco slides custom mounted by yours truely. The total install cost me $17.85 for the bar's.

Anyway, thats what we have done so far, you may also notice the carpet, this is a "Knox Auto carpet" product and installed with relative easy :)

Peace out!

dude seriously, AWESOME!!!!! the engine bay looks heaps tidy

anymore updates?

Edited by danny wrx

Guys,

Not much happening lately so here are a few pics a mate of mine took whilst out on the track :)

Scotty-2.jpg

Scotty-4.jpg

Scotty-8.jpg

Guys

Over the long weekend, I had the roll cage built, take a look :)

IMG_9180.jpg

IMG_9167.jpg

IMG_9181.jpg

IMG_9182.jpg

IMG_9171.jpg

IMG_9174.jpg

IMG_9170.jpg

IMG_9166.jpg

I just have to put the car back together now, I will also arrange a lick of paint on the cage :)

I will also be think of how to tidy up the back now that the bench seat is gooone!

Got any photos of the cage and how it interacts with the dash?

Looks good from what I've seen BTW!

Got any photos of the cage and how it interacts with the dash?

Well thay arnt exactly talking to each other at the moment, the dash has a serious issue with the cage, im working on that as we speak, will have some pics up soon. Dont forget I have a plain jane alloy dash :) if in doubt cut the shit out of it :)

Edited by autoshotz

Who did the cage for you?

Looks pretty nice!

Who did the cage for you?

Looks pretty nice!

X 2 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

WOW just WOW. I have just read through the entire thread and have decided my ve is going on hold while I look for a 1600 project.

Hey Guys, sorry havent been on for some time been super busy with work. Anyway here is a quick update, I have driven the wheels off this thing and loved every second of it. Now its time for a new paint job. The car leaves tomorrow for a full custom respray. I guess I will update you again when I get the car back to rebuild it :)

IMG_7354.jpg

IMG_7353.jpg

IMG_7356.jpg

IMG_7344.jpg

IMG_7345.jpg

IMG_7359.jpg

Don't you just love the look for a fully stripped out Datsun? :)

HI Mate, Can't wait to see the new paint job,

Love all the gear that went into this shell ,awsome set up,

Hey Guys,

I have just posted a classified ad, I need the attached two window rails, so if any one could help I would love to hear about it.

http://www.autoshotz...510/window1.jpg

http://www.autoshotz...510/window2.jpg

Please Please Please!

ive got a few.(in nsw). but would be a bitch to ship.. ? common problem im finding these days ( the rusty window frames)

PM me if you keen..

Ok boys and girls!

Sorry for the long delay on the updates, but when you see below you may understand, its a trying testing and stressful time. We are nearly there with the paint.

IMG_3196.jpg

IMG_3190.jpg

IMG_3195.jpg

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3199.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3201.jpg

IMG_3202.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

Above you have seen the interior colour and the smoothing work in the boot and most importantly in the engine bay, we moved part of the firewall back and removed the lip, smoothed the strut towers and pretty much all the other gaps ect have gone. The trained eye will also see that the bonnet

skeleton has been customised. Now for the custom PPG pearl blue colour :

IMG_5768.jpg

IMG_5755.jpg

IMG_5769.jpg

IMG_5764.jpg

IMG_5759.jpg

IMG_5778.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

badge.jpg

You may or may not notice that the badge is airbrushed on :)

Now to put it all back together - VERY slowly!

Unfreekinbelievable!

yae !! another blue 1600.. good work. is the interior staying the tan colour ?

is the interior staying the tan colour ?

Yes, If you look carefully you can see the sample of suade sitting on the parcel shelve, on the passenger side.

IMG_3201.jpg

While waiting for my car I spend a few minutes cleaning my gearbox :)

IMG_4483.jpg

Looks great !

Hey Guys,

Got the car home over the weekend to start the long task of final assembly. Here are a few more pics taking a closer look.

IMG_6844.jpg

IMG_6865.jpg

IMG_6858.jpg

IMG_6855.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

IMG_6849.jpg

IMG_6859.jpg

IMG_6860.jpg

F@#king ridiculous!!