• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
autoshotz

Project 510 - 1972 Datsun 1600, SR20DET Conversion

Ok, no one like my new I/C ??? Thats sad

Well here are the front struts done and in the car :

_MG_5712.jpg

With and adjustable Camber top :

_MG_5714.jpg

_MG_5720.jpg

New Throttle Cable:

_MG_5710.jpg

And finally, my new collapsible steering column:

_MG_5707.jpg

I also have a brake booster & clutch master cylinder on order at the moment - Thanks Baz

looks great man. I have the same struts in my 1600 and cant wait to drive on them. Can i make one suggestion tho.. grab some black underbody paint and paint those wells. It will come up awesome.

looks great man. I have the same struts in my 1600 and cant wait to drive on them. Can i make one suggestion tho.. grab some black underbody paint and paint those wells. It will come up awesome.

Yea dont worry that will happen, Im just "trial fitting" the car, once I have driven it and I happy, I will send the car away for paint & panel, which will include the underside!

Ta guys

hey mate lookin awesome,

can you give us an update of roughly what youve spent so far on new parts ???

and whats left

trying to set a budget for a build once im home from o/s

nice work btw ill be doin the..... same strip it, fit everythin new up, pull apart, paint panel, put back together.....wallah

cheers

Ok, no one like my new I/C ??? Thats sad

Looking good Scott, people love it they just might not always post, keep an eye on your view count thats always a good indicator.

After a while people that have posted once or twice saying nice etc will follow the thread without posting anything to say, unless theres a question or some constructive criticism

Keep the pic's coming!

Sounds like you have funded the next extension on the DS workshop lol

Sounds like you have funded the next extension on the DS workshop lol

Yea Baz is gonna name the extention, "the autoshotz wing"

Yep, I figure "whats the point of reinventing the wheel", if Baz's stuff works then why not?" im sure I wont be the last either

Its also nice to know that "when" not if, I stuff things up he's only a phone call away . Especially since this is my first project car, that support network is invaluable!

• Like 1

Ok Boys & Girls,

The Powerplant turned up this week. She's a Jap spec S15 SR20DET with 11k on the clock:

IMG_3855.jpg

IMG_3856.jpg

IMG_3857.jpg

IMG_3860.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

My Turbo - not sure I will use this one may upgrade:

IMG_3866.jpg

S14 Gearbox:

IMG_3865.jpg

New Throttle:

IMG_3870.jpg

New steering column

IMG_3872.jpg

Steering Bracket done:

IMG_3883.jpg

Wow!!! what a tidy looking SR!!!! That think looks brand spanking new

Do you know why it only got to 11K??

My S13 SR had about 6K on it when the previous Jap owner decided to park it at high speed under the back of a flat bed truck.....

Think you won the lottery with that motor Scotty.

what a sweet thing.

well worth the hunt mate.

Jealousy meter just elevated significantly

Haha, lookin good mate congrats on an awesome buy!

looks the goods mate...

if i was building my car today i would be doing it like this...

will be a top car when finished

if i was building my car today i would be doing it like this...

With an SR you mean?

probly an FJ or SR.. but still would consider CA or even the Z-18.. all have good and bad points

Yea thanks guys, Im trying to follow in the foot steps of most of you guys that have been there and done it.

Jeff, Im not sure what happened exactly, all I know is the car had been hit pretty hard from the back. oh well thats bad luck, dont ya think?

Baz, do you mean it was worth all the ear bashings you copped from me over this bloody engine?? LOL I hereby formally apologise!

Its funny you guys mention how the engine looks, I thought they all looked the same and in this condition?? My bad

Ok, and while I'm in the mood for applogising and making stupid statments, can I further embarrass myself, and get a quick list of stuff that I can remove for the engine to prepare the engine for the bay?? You will notice that I have already removed the turbo & manifold (making a full new one). What else can I lose???

Any help would be great

Depending on what you ant to do but you can get rid of all the stuff under the turbo. IE power steering and aircon. Thats about it though.

I a curious you said a 'new' collapsible steering column, where did you get this? You just going to stick with the dash mounted wiper and headlight switches or try stalks???

ta

Depending on what you ant to do but you can get rid of all the stuff under the turbo. IE power steering and aircon. Thats about it though.

Cheers mate, So that means I can remove that pulley & the bronze cylindrical unit(is that the AC compressor??) on the right as you look at this pic??

IMG_3860.jpg

If so would these be worth selling or just throw them away??

I a curious you said a 'new' collapsible steering column, where did you get this? You just going to stick with the dash mounted wiper and headlight switches or try stalks???

This is the callapsible column, prior to install, you see for some reason this model had a "Spear type" column, which on discussions with baz (Datsport), he strongly recommended a callapsible one, especially if you have desires to race said car in the future. Im not sure that a spear column would pass scrutineering??

_MG_5707.jpg

So two weeks later this arrived from Baz and it fits in perfectly, Im not sure what model Datsun this came out of, perhaps Baz can shead some light on that?

did you choose the s14 box because its a 5 speed rather then a 6 speed and supposedly stronger?

Based on my investigations on this matter (internet reading so keep that in mind) there is an issue with the 6 speed boxes and the gear selectors when you thrash them, particularly in relation to 4th gear. That aside a 6 speed is longer and requires the tailshaft to be modded if you buy a kit with a pre-fabed shaft.

The good bit about the 5spds if you do break one s13 & s14s are the same and go for around $500 whereas the 6 spds go for between $1000 - $2000.

Yes, I told the importer that I didnt want the 6 speed, which I'm told is a 4 speed with 2 overdrives, and send me the best S14 box, clutch and flywheel,

Im yet to talk to the importer about the gearbox, but im not that happy with it or it condition. Stay tuned.

could i get the power steering and air con pumps and brackets i need a good set.

Let me no what you want for them..