• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
autoshotz

Project 510 - 1972 Datsun 1600, SR20DET Conversion

This is without doubt the BEST example of 'how to PROPERLY do an SR 1600' yet! (assuming you are loaded - :tongue: haha )

Nice tailshaft? obviously just there for clearance testing!

Hey Scotty,

It's looking awesome mate!! Soooo neat!!

You looking at using projector head lamps or anything fancy? You don't have much room in front of that air box??

Man I can't wait to see this car finished!! You're probably pretty keen for it too no doubt :yes:

SH

Looks great!

One question: where's the air box going to get it's air from? Assuming there is a lid to come.

One question: where's the air box going to get it's air from? Assuming there is a lid to come.

LOL, yes there will be a lid, as for the air, we are going to cut a hole out down the bottom, you will note that there is not one at the moment, this is currently in discussions. Stay tuned.

We will most likely run some kind of tubing for a "Cool Air induction" system. Like I said currently in discussions.

You going to be running a resonator in the exhaust system? Or are you hoping the magnaflow (straight through?) is going to do the trick? :unsure:

Nice project coming along nicely.

I have to mention though, that gearbox crossmember looks like an identical copy to the ones DGR fabrication are producing in the US (and have been producing for over a year). I guess Baz stole the idea off them when he saw the mesojdm writeup on the realm bagging his old design.

Good work there Baz, nice budding enterprise you have going there, always complaining about people copying your gear but here you are doing the same thing, top work as always.

Nice project coming along nicely.

I have to mention though, that gearbox crossmember looks like an identical copy to the ones DGR fabrication are producing in the US (and have been producing for over a year). I guess Baz stole the idea off them when he saw the mesojdm writeup on the realm bagging his old design.

Good work there Baz, nice budding enterprise you have going there, always complaining about people copying your gear but here you are doing the same thing, top work as always.

FWIW Martin, I've had my new-style Datsport G/Box crossmember fitted for over a year now, and can recall Baz talking about a this type of change to his designand the materials he planned on using for quite some time before then.

Get over it Martin,

mesojdm used a Mckinney mount.

And yes I took notice of his comment & redesigned our mount.

This is not the place to whinge & clutter up Autoshotzs' build thread.

Start a new thread if you must.

Apart from the curved section over the exhaust, our mount is totally different than DGRs bent plate or Mckinneys round pipe.

Ours has laser cut braces & is more robust.

Get over it Martin,

mesojdm used a Mckinney mount.

And yes I took notice of his comment & redesigned our mount.

This is not the place to whinge & clutter up Autoshotzs' build thread.

Start a new thread if you must.

Apart from the curved section over the exhaust, our mount is totally different than DGRs bent plate or Mckinneys round pipe.

Ours has laser cut braces & is more robust.

It's cool, I made my point. Practise what you preach.... and save us all the bleeding heart stories.

On with the build thread.

Guys,

Some more progress images, you can see the custome fuel cell with inbuild surge and baffles, fuel line made from hydraulic lines (thick walled). Finished off the exhaust and dump pipe.

IMG_9517.jpg

IMG_9518.jpg

IMG_9520.jpg

IMG_9523.jpg

IMG_9524.jpg

IMG_9525.jpg

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9538.jpg

IMG_9540.jpg

Holly Crap Scotty!

This car is getting better and better.

The exhaust looks perfect and that fuel cell looks pretty bloody serious.

It looks like you're about 80% done too. Do you have any expectations for when she'll be on the road? Or is that too far off still?

Mac

Wow! this is an amazing build - just been glued to my laptop screen reading the 10 pages. I'm real keen on putting an sr20det S14 or S15 into my 1600 in the next 3 or 4 years. Was wondering if u could tell me what kinda costs i'd be looking at to do a build as clean and well built as this one? (if you don't want to put the price on here would u be able to pm it to me at all? (really want to know how much I will have to save over the next 3-4 years).

Best of luck with it and hope it goes real well for you.

I know who i'll be getting my parts/advice from too (baz @ datsport) ;)

Best of luck once again.

Thank you guys for the kind words smile.gif

Here are some more progress pics:

Custom Dash (this is not permanent) we knocked this together just to basically mount the gauges so the wiring can be done, notice I threw a few little indicator lights in there for fun smile.gif

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0930.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

Finished off the tank, filler, filter and lines:

IMG_0923.jpg

IMG_0924.jpg

And also the fuel lines into the turbosmart reg:

IMG_0914.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Note that the lid is now on the airbox smile.gif

IMG_0918.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

The car is now off to have the custom drive shalf and CV's done, should have pic of those in a week or too. Then off to wire up the Motec and the whole car smile.gif Then start, then drive, wait im getting abit ahead of myself, calm down scotty, still plenty to do smile.gif

Edited by autoshotz

just incase you forget the fitting for the fuel system aren't tight..

looking good....

Hey Scotty, any progress lately mate??

Shaun,

Not too much, nothing particularly exciting uless your interested in my overpriced CV setup? These were taken today, car in now on its way for wiring, I say we should see it sometime in Feb Or March 2010.

IMG_7334.jpg

IMG_7336.jpg

Handbrake is also installed.

IMG_7337.jpg

I have the Drive shaft done aswell althought I couldnt get a pic of it just yet, need to wait to get the car jacked up again!

That's some pretty serious progress Scotty.

When you say over priced CVs, would you not recommend them? And if so, who's did you go with?

Not too long to go now!!!

LOL, I probably shouldnt of said overpriced, I spose I was just shity cause I paid the bill about 13 seconds before posting the images. Seemed like a lot of money for a couple of sticks shoved between the Diff and the brakes smile.gif

Although I have been very impressed with the work these guys did. Driveline services @ Acacia Ridge - 07 32757600, ask for Ron hes a genius. Big thanks to Derek (Gun16) for supplying me with the outers smile.gif

Edited by autoshotz

Hey Scotty,

Any updates on your build? I'm getting withdrawals!!

SH

Hey Scotty,

Any updates on your build? I'm getting withdrawals!!

SH

Hey Shaun,

I havent seen the car in over a month, so Im feeling the same way. I have to go to South Australia next week, so I would really like to get out to see the car on Friday. The car is being wired at the moment. I have spent some time researching alarms and central locking kits. I have them picked out and will be hopefully delivering them to my auto ellecy on Friday. If I do I will take some pics (if there is anything to take pics of) all going well, I shouldnt be able to see any wires, also the car wont have any Fuses or relays as we will be going with a PDM instead. MoTeC > About Power Distribution > Overview

I will update all when I get back from SA smile.gif

That CAN bus stuff is great Scotty!

Your 'Best of breed' theme continues :thumbsup: