• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   10/01/2015

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
autoshotz

Project 510 - 1972 Datsun 1600, SR20DET Conversion

313 posts in this topic

What's the cost for a MoTeC Power Distribution Module box? :blink:

http://autospeed.com.au/cms/title_MoTeCs-Power-Distribution-Modules/A_111402/article.html

I would've thought you don't need an alarm! Just disconnect the MoTeC PDM and put it in your back pocket and nobody could figure out how to start the damn thing! ;)

Edited by SR20Datsun

Holy sweet mother of Jesus Christ monkey balls.

You don't really have to run an alarm. With the PDM all you have to do is configure so that when you turn the ignition switch, you press the horn button (but the horn is configured not to sound as it goes through the PDM, and perhaps flick a switch at the same time and the engine starts (as per the autospeed doc I put in above)

So really the cost is pretty much justified, as you don't have to buy an alarm, just a horn for the PDM to act as an alarm. etc.

Crazy stuff.. :blink:

This is an amazing build, i have been glued to my seat reading through all 11 pages. Congrats for showing the rest of us what to do!

Keep up the fantastic work!

Trent

You are correct mate, the cost is justified, its also sooo much less work with wiring, so you save again.

The idea of the alarm for me is relatively simple, Insurance! Also I have arrange to hook the doors up with a central locking kits so this can be wired in, you also get remotes with an alarm. I suppose another idea is, you dont want to be disconnecting the PDM all the time, they are not the toughest unit on the market. The connectors are large bulkhead fittings with sensitive pins.

I simply looked at the cost of a complete rewire and then added the cost of the PDM, then worked out how much less time would be required in labour, not too mention the saving on all the relays, fuses, extra wiring ect.

Plus this PDM is completely programmable and will also diagnose all your electrical faults just plug in as you would for the ECU.

Worth the cost IMHO, though I do understand all those who may not see the sense in a unit like this, its not for everyone :)

If you are doing a complete rewire of the car with a competent auto electrician who is always willing to try something new, then i think this is perfect, really brings the car to 21st century

Reading into the PDM, will you be utilising any other benefits of it, other than just the removal of relays and fuses? like interfacing it into a motec dash or ECU for example, or will you leave that for later on.

Will be interesting to see how much wiring is removed from using a setup like this, and how neat it wil be compared to a convential rewire of a car.

always look forward to an update of this car

Stoney,

For now we are going to be running the M400, althought we havent finalised this discision yet, we may end up running the M800. We are still investigating this smile.gif

Down the track we may also run the ADL when we take the car off the road just for Race work.

what a top build, can't wait to see this car one day,

Shawn

Nice project coming along nicely.

I have to mention though, that gearbox crossmember looks like an identical copy to the ones DGR fabrication are producing in the US (and have been producing for over a year). I guess Baz stole the idea off them when he saw the mesojdm writeup on the realm bagging his old design.

Good work there Baz, nice budding enterprise you have going there, always complaining about people copying your gear but here you are doing the same thing, top work as always.

Read through the entire thread and have to say Top Notch!! I've been enjoying all the builds on Datnet for a few years now and fealt this would be a perfect time to chime in. I read this quote and couldn't swallow my next breath. I'm from the U.S. and have had FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with DGR and can say your way off track. In my 35 years of living, I've never had a more horrific business relationship than the one with them. In my opinion, their work is SHIT, their word is SHIT, and their honor is SHIT. I know its only an opinion, so check out my build for picture reinforcement. The 510 Realm • View topic - New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

To compare Datsport's product to DGR's is like comparing apples to oranges and the oranges are rotten! In the five and a half years of my build the only good, worth while experience I've had was Datsport (Tracy & Baz) and PLMS (Pete). The DGR (my opinion) tranny mount is some bent bar stock with welds from a 8 year old.

Sorry for the hijack, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut with this one.

Keep up the incredible work!!

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the reply, dont be afraid to Chime in @ anytime.

Your build is amazing, well done. So we must be lucky to have Baz in Australia with us :) Mind you, I have known that for sometime now.

Thanks for shedding some light.

Nice project coming along nicely.

I have to mention though, that gearbox crossmember looks like an identical copy to the ones DGR fabrication are producing in the US (and have been producing for over a year). I guess Baz stole the idea off them when he saw the mesojdm writeup on the realm bagging his old design.

Good work there Baz, nice budding enterprise you have going there, always complaining about people copying your gear but here you are doing the same thing, top work as always.

Read through the entire thread and have to say Top Notch!! I've been enjoying all the builds on Datnet for a few years now and fealt this would be a perfect time to chime in. I read this quote and couldn't swallow my next breath. I'm from the U.S. and have had FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with DGR and can say your way off track. In my 35 years of living, I've never had a more horrific business relationship than the one with them. In my opinion, their work is SHIT, their word is SHIT, and their honor is SHIT. I know its only an opinion, so check out my build for picture reinforcement. The 510 Realm • View topic - New member 71 SR20det Black Top ground up restomod

To compare Datsport's product to DGR's is like comparing apples to oranges and the oranges are rotten! In the five and a half years of my build the only good, worth while experience I've had was Datsport (Tracy & Baz) and PLMS (Pete). The DGR (my opinion) tranny mount is some bent bar stock with welds from a 8 year old.

Sorry for the hijack, but I just couldn't keep my mouth shut with this one.

Keep up the incredible work!!

Since my post is being questioned, I'll respond but try and keep it brief as it's already been covered. My post came about as Baz had a cry on ozdat accusing me of copying his handbrake cables when I simply got a few made by a cable place by sending them a design done by Pete Lieberg many years ago.

Noticing Baz had pretty much copied the design of Mckinney mount (I mistook it for DGR, my mistake & I agree, the pictures he illustrates show some terrible stuff), I merely pointed that out in an effort to help him practise what he preaches. I don't hate baz or his business, I've bought stuff there myself, I just find it hard to listen to all the suckholes on here that blow wind up his ass thinking he is re-inventing the wheel with a metal bracket (at the same time, I understand why people do as it gets them free products for a short magazine blurb, that's business and although I wouldn't do it myself, I understand it)

As you find around the world, most of the better workshops don't spam over forums saying how good they are or use good marketing, they let their products speak for themselves. Mario @ TSR is probably the perfect example among many others.

Feel free to PM me to discuss further, but it's like kicking a dead dog writing in here.

Anyhow.... any updates Scotty??

love the build mate...very similar to mine, very nice work on the motor

Just stumbled across this thread. Lovin it mate! Great build and some of the best stuff being used (shut up Martin). Have you sat down yet and added everything up? Would be interesting to know what a build of this quality would cost. I've done my own CA swap and have not had the balls to add everything up. The Mrs would tear em clean off :lol:

2 months and no update????

Hey Scotty,

Got your wiring sorted yet?

Hey Scotty,

Got your wiring sorted yet?

Hey Shaun,

Wiring is 90% done, ecu is wired, engine is done, PDM is wired. They are just finishing off the PDM programming, then we just add some fluids ect and ready to start.

The car is booked into to be dynoed on the 30th of July.

So fingers crossed!

Sorry for the lack of updates, I just really have left the Auto elecy and his team alone through this process, im desperate for them to get it right :)

Good to hear Mate. So once it’s running, what’s the plan? Pull it apart again for paint and trim?

Will it stay white? And what have you got planned for the interior?

Always liked this car, but now that I’m planning and collecting parts for mine (and having to pay for them), I’m even more impressed.

What I’d do to have all your running gear in my coupe! You’ve got to be pretty excited about getting this thing on the road.

Ready for summer you reckon?

Yeah it would be nice to run the car as you see here for a number of months, then once we are happy with the setup we can think about the paint and interior.

So far we believe the car will be some shade of metallic blue or purple. We will arrange some custom wheels (showwheel!!) Then hand the car over to one of my mates who is a retrimmer. I dont really have much idea about the interior, but i will be sure to give the trimmer some poetic license to create something cool.

While the car is off the road we will also take the opportunity to build & polish the engine.

Thats the basic plan @ the stage.

To all those playing @ home, here is the lastest images.

Car didnt get Dyno'ed today as expected, apparently there have been a few hicups. To keep you entertained here are some progress shots of the wiring process:

The all important PDM

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4029.jpg

The catch can:

IMG_4037.jpg

The Ignition barrel, thanks Baz

IMG_4041.jpg

HMMM Mil Spec plugs, arnt they beautiful?

IMG_4042.jpg

And the Dash:

IMG_4049.jpg

IMG_4043.jpg

IMG_4051.jpg

IMG_4052.jpg

I will do my best to update this page alittle more in the next couple of weeks :)

Edited by autoshotz

%#@! Yeah. Looks wicked!!

WOW . . Just had a read . Engine bay 10/10 love the dash also.

Looking forward to the rest of the build. Good luck

1 person likes this

Incredible build mate .... 11+ pages of drooling goodness .... Any updates recentlly, particularly in regards to the air ?? Keep up the top work champ.

"as for the air, we are going to cut a hole out down the bottom, you will note that there is not one at the moment, this is currently in discussions. Stay tuned"

Incredible build mate .... 11+ pages of drooling goodness .... Any updates recentlly, particularly in regards to the air ?? Keep up the top work champ.

"as for the air, we are going to cut a hole out down the bottom, you will note that there is not one at the moment, this is currently in discussions. Stay tuned"

Thanks mate, yes we did end up cutting some holes through the wheel arch, 6 x 50mm holes that should be enough we think :)

Well guys, here is the most exciting post update i have ever had to make, the engine is alive and well.

We started the car for the first time today 31 August 2010.

Everything is working in perfect order except the walbro 255 intake pump, we could only manage 35psi on idle (about half of what it should be) the pump itself also made a terrible loud constant noise. We have ordered a replacement one which should be in the car tommorrow. The car was hoisted and all 5 foward gears worked perfect, the reverse was found and worked. The diff was smooth with no abnormal noises. Oil pressure was great, and baz's rad and fan worked with almost amazing effecttiveness. There is still plenty of testing (cold start) ect to do, but we think this can be running under its own power by early next week, where the car will be wheel aligned and corner weighted. Then to dyno for a base tune.