• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
SX-510

SX-510 SR20DET 510 1800SSS Bluebird Coupe

Thanks GTR510, I'll be gettin on with the machining and welding option this week by the looks of it.

I'll give them some extensive stress testing at WSID in a month or so all going well

Went for a cruise with petern and his OSR20T machine last weekend. Drove from Hills District to Penrith via Richmond and Northern Rds. After a quick Datsun Burger at the Riff Maccas (what else would we call the new burger??) we pushed on up the hill towards Wentworth Falls in the Blue Mtns. Totally missed the turnoff and next thing we knew we were at Katoomba (3 Sisters/Echo Point to be precise)

My young bloke with his prized Maccas happy meal dinosaur (and makeshift chilly mountaineering apparel...)

lach_3sisters.jpg

jeffandpete1.jpg

jeffandpete2.jpg

To avoid the trademark Sunday arvo mountain tourist traffic we then drove back across the top of Mt Victoria, then down the Bells Line of Rd (in the dark). Man what an awesome drive in a well sorted Datto (with decent high beams) that is!!! Now I've done this road many times in everything from Lasers to Pulsars to AWD Liberty RS to XR6s to Commodores and know it pretty well - but never knew it could be so much fun in a Datto! For anyone considering the Datsport Enhanced Handling Fitting Kit - this road proved to me why it's such a good thing. Off camber corners, big spoon drains running across the road, high speed corners with big bumps/dips smack-bang in the middle of them - the lot. I did the whole length of the road and never really had to slow for any of the corners. Just breezed around them pretty much always at the speed limit for the section of road (ie ignore the 60 km/hr sign and hit the corner at 100 ). Hit some huge mid-corner bumps and never once felt like I was gonna become part of the scenery. Really upset a couple of Commodore drivers with wheels too

No matter what the road, the suspension dealt with it fine. On corrugated roads the valving in the shocks seems to work gently, on roads with more sudden sharp bumps the valving seems to grow progressively stiffer, absorbing the bump and keeping the tyre firmly attached to the road surface. I really reckon Baz has struck the perfect spring/shock combo (KYB/King) for spirited high speed road driving.

At this point, for what I use my car for:

50% city road

30% open road high speed

5% drag racing

and hopefully 15% circuit/sprint racing

I reckon the suspension setup gives me the best performance for the $$ spent with the least compromises.

Sure I could go shell out for big buck big brand name shocks/springs, but at the end of the day I doubt they'd be any better at what I use my car for. The money I've saved using this proven combination can be spent on other things - like petrol and tyres - cos I drive it heaps - cos it's so bloody good to drive!

If anyone wants a ride, just drop me a pm - I'm happy to prove it to you on the next club cruise

Also stopped for a pic at the Kurrajong Heights lookout on the way down the mountain:

kurrajong.jpg

MAJOR ENVY

Sounds like an awesome cruise. Those datsport suspension pieces are awesome..

i know that kurrajong look out well shoeman!!! its an awsome view by night .even better with a datsun in front of it .The old bells line of road is a fun road i took my datsun up there a few months ago and went for a squirt!! I went all the way up to the apple bar which is probelry 30 past kurrajong the road gets better and better.. .Next time your out the riff call us and a few of the riff boys/girls can catch up

If anyone wants a ride, just drop me a pm - I'm happy to prove it to you on the next club cruise

I have a feeling someones Inbox is gonna be full!

i couldn't catch up.... Jeff lefted me in the traffic

yes those high beam are damn bright

The chick with the FM boots was traveliing in the Falcon. vvvv

jeffandpete1.jpg

nice plug for the suspension, will have to look into that when upgrading

Ahh yes - the FM boots - fairly impressive I thought. She's in the background of one of my other pics, will post her up later on.

Believe it or not, last weekend was the first chance I've had to REALLY try the handling out since first getting the car on the road.... The trip to PI was mostly open straight highway, the observation rally during the event was pretty tame.... Bells Line was an awesome test (and I'm still smiling )

Thanks for coming along Pete, I reckon we should do a run through there every weekend!

Next time your out the riff call us and a few of the riff boys/girls can catch up

Will do for sure Mark!! (can you PM me your mobile?)

I have a feeling someones Inbox is gonna be full!

haha - let me just clarify - it's RIDE - as opposed to DRIVE

that is an awesome road!

good to see it was enjoyable for you out of towners

Cant wait to get my project rolling along, sooner its started the sooner its finished! Sooner i will be there along with you guys testing out my own datsport kit

every weekend.... hahah your keen, since now you know how you car really handles.

If anyone is thinking of going up, bring a big coat and a beanie.... man it was cold!

Ahh yes - the FM boots - fairly impressive I thought. She's in the background of one of my other pics, will post her up later on.

fmb.jpg

can you post up a photo of your airbox mate?

Sure!

28509184550.jpg

28509184584.jpg

I finally made a start on the diff flanges to allow an R33 Skyline 2 way Nismo shortnose mechanical LSD to go into the coupe.

For those who don't know the history, to make the diff fit where an S14 viscous shortnose currently sits, I needed to somehow remove the 5 bolt flanges from the R33 diff flanges then modify/remake them so they have the correct splines to suit the LSD internals, but ALSO have 6 bolt flanges to suit the custom CV shafts already in the car.

The options I saw were:

1. Make brand new diff flanges from scratch and have them heat treated to hopefully be as strong as OEM

2. Make new 6 bolt flanges and weld onto the R33 diff flange splined shafts

3. Remove the 6 bolt flanges from the S14 shafts, and weld them onto the R33 diff flange splined shafts

Well after much research and opinion asking of experts I have gone with option 3.

Still yet to be welded, but here they are after some very nice lathe work by my Dad - the machining legend!

He has managed to make the S14 flanges and R33 shafts a nice tight interference fit - pressed together with a hydraulic press. They have been machined with opposing shoulders so that should the welds break, the flange cannot come off the shaft - clever hey?

I now need to find me a professional welder to lay a nice fillet in the corner where the 2 bits meet and then I'll be ready to go.

The reason I went with this option was cos it was cheapest (let me use parts I already had 'in stock'). The factory use a localised heat treating process on the spline area, where it's needed most. This heat treating, if the welds are done right, should remain unaffected. Also, the area where the shafts will be welded is such large diameter that the welds 'should' hold up fine (much less torsional load on them than a welded CV shaft would have on it for example).

Whilst option 1 might have been a better way to go (and much more $$$...), there was going to be no guarantee that the heat treating would be anywhere near as good as what the factory splines have.

Time will tell I spose, but for now, time to find a professional welder to do it right, then hit the 1/4 mile again where hopefully only the only thing cracking will be a high 11 sec pass without the happy gas

Some pics (click for 1024 size):

Here's the freshly machined surfaces showing where the welds need to go>>>

28509582128.jpg

Here you can just see the fine line where the 2 machined pieces have been pressed together (S14 outer, R33 inner)>>>

The shoulders are hidden underneath.

28509582167.jpg

hope this is what you ment .

ps im away for 3 days in newcastle for work ill have a look at your beam when i get back

can you post up a closer photo of your battery and battery tray setup mate? Intrigued how you managed to fit it all in so neatly with those relays and intercooler piping. good work

Here ya go purpledatman

It's a bit hard to photograph, but I used the guillotine and folding machine at work to make a cradle from sheet metal, then welded some 12mm square tube legs and a baseplate on it - which bolts to the 2x 8mm horn mount threads below the headlights. There's also one small 6mm threaded stud that goes through a small hole in the inner guard next to where the side indicator wiring comes through. The ally hold down bracket is something dad knocked up on his milling machine - basic, but works great

The excess wire in the background is a temporary twin sheath thing that bypasses the thermal switch in the radiator (was DOA). I have to use a switch under the dash to turn the fans on/off till I get round to fixing it properly.....

29408275837.jpg

wow a 2 door ...are there many 2 doors around.. this one is pretty nice ..youve done a great job on this car

Ther are even less coupes..

Thanks Deeel, glad you like it. For the money I've spent (waaaay less than most) it is a pretty decent package.

There's at least a dozen coupes in Australia, and probably as many 2 door sedans.

I only know of about 3, maybe 4 coupes that are permanently road registered though.

And I get to drive mine heaps too

I only know of about 3, maybe 4 coupes that are permanently road registered though.

Are you the only datnetter with one?

There's also:

'Graeme' (Sydney) - 2 coupes

'Datsunboy' (Christchurch NZ) - 1 coupe

'JETTEC03' - 1 coupe (on it's way from Japan to Aus I think)

Not sure of any others on Datnet