• Announcements

• fly by

Still the original, still the best Nissan Datsun resource   11/02/2017

We set out to establish Datnet in the late '90s to provide the best Nissan-Datsun online resource, we don't plan to ever stray from that. Huge updates site-wide to make your experience the best it can be. Stay around, read, post and enjoy - when your done you can go back to Facebook and 'like' us there too: datnet.org on Facebook
Ludachris

Dat16 - Sr20de 1971 Datsun 1600 - Now Running! Page 21 For Video!

coming along nicely

one thing i'm not sure if you've considered or not is actually tapping the thread for the oil feed in the block now while the engine is out, seeing as it's an N/A block and doesn't have one, not too much hassle and will save you having to do it when the times comes around, plus if you do it now, it willmotivate you quicker down the line when you WONT have to remove the engine again, just a matter of getting the right thread tap and then plugging it for the mean time

I take it your talking about the feed for the turbo??

If you are.... im planning on ditching the DE in a couple of years... and droppin in a freshly rebuilt turbo motor that i plan to build between the start of next year, and the time i get my full licence. So yeah... all the mods i do to the DE are going to be transferrable to the turbo motor (hopefully)...

that sounds like a better plan, just in an earlier post of yours you said you were looking for a turbo manifold etc to fit to this motor down the track

either way, have fun building your car

that sounds like a better plan, just in an earlier post of yours you said you were looking for a turbo manifold etc to fit to this motor down the track

yeh.. i was gonna do that... but its not worth it.. better to just start with a turbo motor... the DE and the DET are too different.

Cheers dude.

Car is looking good man! Looks like alot of long nights have gone into it. Rocker cover looks awesome to!

Car is looking good man! Looks like alot of long nights have gone into it. Rocker cover looks awesome to!

Cheers mate. The nights are going to get longer and later once i get the painted car back

A little more fiddling around. Not much due to the fact that im currently in the middle of trial exams No fun...

Just some coilover prototyping:

200mm 325lb King Springs on 240K struts. Soon to get 40mm cut out of them...

dsc00561mediumuh6.jpg

dsc00558mediumnr7.jpg

In comparison to std 240K ones with low king springs... these gave about 1 foot of clearance between a 13" rim and tyre and the guard So i think ill get about a 4" drop with the coilovers and sectioned struts.

Chris

• Like 1

Nothing really at all to add here..

Getting paint next week now I keep getting delayed cos the shop keeps taking on new jobs and shuffling me down the order.... Im gonna snap soon and go mental.. its taking faaar to long.

A question for those playing at home... do you think its possible for me to raise the SR up from underneath?

Like if i took the intake manifold off, and the extractors off etc. that i could lift it up from below?

If i can, the plan is to bolt the crossmember to the engine, and arms to that, and suspension to that etc.. then lift it all up as one...

hope it will work...

Anyways;

Rocker cover on engine. Cleaned up a couple of things.. and started planning the fuel rail feed and return mods.

sr1lt8.jpg

sr2yk7.jpg

Paint pics next week. Hopefully.....

It's possible to be done that way, but do you have a hoist to put the car on and are you bale to get it to that hoist without front struts etc easily? if so then by all means do it that way

It's alot easier to remove an engine and bearbox/crossmember assembly that way then from the top, esp if you have access to hoists (being a mechanic sometimes has it's benefits)

What had you planned for the intake?, cause you know that the IAC pipe will need to be plumbed in after the AFM

Hope the painting gets done sooner than later, cause the worst thing ever is waiting for someone else to do something to your car

It's possible to be done that way, but do you have a hoist to put the car on and are you bale to get it to that hoist without front struts etc easily? if so then by all means do it that way

It's alot easier to remove an engine and bearbox/crossmember assembly that way then from the top, esp if you have access to hoists (being a mechanic sometimes has it's benefits)

What had you planned for the intake?, cause you know that the IAC pipe will need to be plumbed in after the AFM

Hope the painting gets done sooner than later, cause the worst thing ever is waiting for someone else to do something to your car

I can or more likely WILL get access to a hoist... i would much rather do it that way than lower it in...

Intake im hoping to just plumb it from the throttle body down to the corner behind the headlights...

I have no idea what the IAC pipe is lol... is it the pipe comin from the exhaust? Does it NEED to be plumbed in? or can i block it off?

Chris

Or is it the big one coming from the intake side?

it's the one currently hanging over the T/B in the above pic, it need to be plumbed in after the AFM or the car wont run properly, as for the EGR - exhaust gas recirculation - bin it, you dont need it and it's just more weight and lines that aren't required

the EGR pipe outlet is on the extractors, just block it or remove and weld up the hole

And are they really long ignition plugs too? cause normally the N/A plugs just go straight over cover to dizzy

Another option is the run the turbo wiring loom inc CAS (crank angle sensor) and coil on plugs, removes dizzy and leads, but you will require a retune of the turbo ECU to suit N/A form, and in the future when it comes time to fit a turbo engine you will just need the short motor and no wiring, plus everything will be a straight plug in fitment, and then it will be cheaper to retune the ECU to suit the turbo mods then, and you wont have to rewire bits and pieces come turbo time! just throwing another idea out there, tell me to shut up if you want

Way off topic, but who races the pushies? I noticed a road bike in the first pic and track bike in the 2nd

it's the one currently hanging over the T/B in the above pic, it need to be plumbed in after the AFM or the car wont run properly, as for the EGR - exhaust gas recirculation - bin it, you dont need it and it's just more weight and lines that aren't required

Damn... so i NEED to have the IAC plumbed in? there goes my intake plan.. oh well

the EGR pipe outlet is on the extractors, just block it or remove and weld up the hole

And are they really long ignition plugs too? cause normally the N/A plugs just go straight over cover to dizzy

Another option is the run the turbo wiring loom inc CAS (crank angle sensor) and coil on plugs, removes dizzy and leads, but you will require a retune of the turbo ECU to suit N/A form, and in the future when it comes time to fit a turbo engine you will just need the short motor and no wiring, plus everything will be a straight plug in fitment, and then it will be cheaper to retune the ECU to suit the turbo mods then, and you wont have to rewire bits and pieces come turbo time! just throwing another idea out there, tell me to shut up if you want

Righto thanks for that.. ill plug up the EGR if i end up keeping the extractors..

Nah the plug leads arent really long... theyre just hangin down the back of the motor. When i had them over the cover, the dirty red leads looked poo. so u just put them out of the way.

heheh thanks for your ideas! but ive figured ill just run the DE as it is now.. and build up another SR turbo. Ill find one thats blown, and bore it out, go forgies and cams, big turbo etc. etc.

So ill just run another loom throughout the car with the turbo ecu...

Thanks again!

Way off topic, but who races the pushies? I noticed a road bike in the first pic and track bike in the 2nd

Hahaha yeah you spotted em good. The white one is a oval circuit bike. Direct drive. No brakes. Its mounted on a trainer atm.. kinda like a dyno/load simulator for a bike. Turn up the knob and it gets harder to pedal..

The one with the Easton wheels you can see in the pic above is an aluminium teardrop frame with everything else being made from carbon fibre... (thats including the drink bottle holder )

Im not the one that races.. my old man is. 52 years and still goin strong! He raced on the weekend and got a 3rd outright..Not bad for an ol' timer!

Its so embarrasing... he is fitter that me . Such shame!! lol

Chris

I noticed them coz i used to race pushies aswell, even raced in wagga a few times

hehe awesome! the you will know how much of an awesome place wagga is!! not......

Have you seen on some of the SR FMIC kits, the cold pipe to the T/B has an adapter pipe welded on for the IAC pipe, it wouldn't be too hard to make an inlet pipe with one welded onto it, similar to those in the kits

Yeah i guess ill have to make something up.. just get a 3" stainless 90degree bend and weld another pipe to the underside of it so its kinda hidden. Does the IAC hold any significant pressure? ie. should i expand the end so it doesnt blow off?

Have you seen on some of the SR FMIC kits, the cold pipe to the T/B has an adapter pipe welded on for the IAC pipe, it wouldn't be too hard to make an inlet pipe with one welded onto it, similar to those in the kits

wouldn',t hurt but isn't required, all the IAC (idle air control) does is keeps the idle constant and allow air to bypass the throttle to keep the revs the same, say when the A/C kicks in and loads the car up and the revs drop, this compensates by 3opening slightly to bring the revs back to normal, won7t have as much effect in your car, seeing as their's not much load on it anymore (A/C and P/S gone), apart from the alternator with headlights and such

yeah okay. thanks for that. ill still plumb it back through and make it work properly...

cheers

Getting paint next week now I keep getting delayed cos the shop keeps taking on new jobs and shuffling me down the order.... Im gonna snap soon and go mental.. its taking faaar to long.

sounds like someone that was suposed to drop some beer around, feels like it was almost two years ago

sounds like someone that was suposed to drop some beer around, feels like it was almost two years ago

shit sorry man i keep gettin caught up with other shite. itll happen soon tho.. exams are nearly over

1 or 2?

okay 2.

your 16 is coming along nicely and i can imagine the great quality of the finished product because of the effort that has gone into it well done

the sr20 n/a with a few tricky bits should be plenty of fun for the time being

Jake

so wheres this so called paint?

what will you be driving next motorkhana?

UPDATE PLEASE!

Jake

got ya beer yet brendan im going to be thirsty when i come visit